Audeze LCD-X
Oct 23, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #10,637 of 12,748
That's some real praise there, @the finisher ! Gosh, you make the Jot sound like it's even better than an average computer soundboard!

I was tempted for a while by the Jot as a standalone amp, but the DAC portion seemed a little tacked on to me. Is it actually a good enough DAC to anchor a system, or do you use a separate DAC with it? Kinda thinking a Jot with a Bimby would sound pretty nice. The Jot is not too bright with the X?

We should go to the Jot thread :)
But no not in my system, and I have those beryllium tweeters on the monitors, it's the DAC for me the 4490 can just sound bad/bright/crunchy/ no soundstage.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #10,638 of 12,748
Sorry to say,...but there is one headphone that is even better than the X....and that is the X with the LCD-4 Carbon Fiber Headband! :wink:

Call me crazy, I actually prefer the old-style headband. The carbon fiber is pretty, but that is the problem. I don't think it fits with the brutal, industrial aesthetics of the rest of the LCD-X. I also don't think the X is heavy or uncomfortable, so the weight reduction doesn't strike me as that important.

I think it looks great of the LCD-4, though. :wink:

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #10,639 of 12,748
I like mine.:)

IMG_20180529_233009924.jpg

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #10,640 of 12,748
Call me crazy, I actually prefer the old-style headband. The carbon fiber is pretty, but that is the problem. I don't think it fits with the brutal, industrial aesthetics of the rest of the LCD-X. I also don't think the X is heavy or uncomfortable, so the weight reduction doesn't strike me as that important.

I think it looks great of the LCD-4, though. :wink:

Ok, you’re crazy :beerchug:

Kidding aside, fit is always going to be a personal preference based on our different physiologies. While I never had a problem with the original headband, I do find the CF headband to be a better/slightly more comfortable fit with my LCD3s. YMMV.​

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #10,641 of 12,748
Love that cable! I may have to look into one of those for myself. Norne Solvine, ammaright?

Here's another glamour shot for our positivity zone!

SilverStone FTW!

Audeze LCD-X.jpg

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #10,642 of 12,748
Oct 23, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #10,643 of 12,748
Ok, you’re crazy :beerchug:

Kidding aside, fit is always going to be a personal preference based on our different physiologies. While I never had a problem with the original headband, I do find the CF headband to be a better/slightly more comfortable fit with my LCD3s. YMMV.​
I use the cheap Lohb strap which works well with the original headband. But, I may have to consider moving up a level as my band is wearing out. Isn't there supposed to be an available product between the CF and original? I just don't want to pay that much for the CF.

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #10,644 of 12,748
I use the cheap Lohb strap which works well with the original headband. But, I may have to consider moving up a level as my band is wearing out. Isn't there supposed to be an available product between the CF and original? I just don't want to pay that much for the CF.

There is this spring steel version that ships with the 2C and 2CC: https://www.adorama.com/auasy1096kt.html?

Don't know if it cuts significant weight though. It is still steel.

Oct 23, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #10,645 of 12,748
Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #10,647 of 12,748
Love that cable! I may have to look into one of those for myself. Norne Solvine, ammaright?

Here's another glamour shot for our positivity zone!

SilverStone FTW!

Love the x. Only one issue with mine the felt under the grills is starting to stick out past the grills. Is there a way to get this replaced??

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #10,648 of 12,748
Love the x. Only one issue with mine the felt under the grills is starting to stick out past the grills. Is there a way to get this replaced??

Sure get a hold of Audeze, they service.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #10,650 of 12,748
Hi guys,
I'm having trouble "appreciating" the LCD-X, so I need some help. I bought an open-box (e.g., returned) LCD-X and it's really dark above 2.5kHz, which I can't find report of anywhere. What are the odds that I have a bad unit vs. just not agreeing with the LCD-Xs or planars? Here are the details...
* Playing through TEAC UD-501 and TEAC HA-501. These tend to be on the bassy/warm side of neutral just a bit. I previously thought that no one could possibly call Bur-Brown 179x chips "bright" even if they got a perfect score on the GRE, but then I plugged HD800s in and it was like battery acid poured straight into my ear onto my brain (Oh, don't look at me like you haven't tried it!). So, they're pretty transparent pieces of gear.
* I'm accustomed to HD600s. I seem to be allurgic to anything outside of neutral, as I've found from 30+ years of experience.
* I adore everything from the LCD-Xs up to 1.5 kHz or so, but then it swoops down, much like the HE-400s. Absolutely no air at all, much like a digital remaster where they've tried to noise-suppress.
* These are braided cable, suspension-band, memory foam LCD-Xs, so that seems to mean 2018.
* I've broken them in by playing them on a stand (banana hanger, actually) for about 12 hours, checking them every so often. They've gotten better in the upper mids, but still even EQ doesn't bring back the sense of coherent space I'm used to from Senns.

I'm reminded strongly of owning the HE-400s. I had to mess around with EQ a lot to listen to them, but it never got better and I got rid of them after 6 months or so of trying to let my ears adjust. So, do I just dislike planars, or is it more likely that my unit is just out of spec? A tonal frequency sweep definitely seems to drop about somewhere north of 1.5kHz for a moment, and then a peak around 10kHz. Really strong bass 10-20Hz that then calms down to linearity (by comparison, I hear the HD800 mounting very linearly until you-know-where).Everyone seems to call these "neutral," but I find them far from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back