Audeze LCD-X
Jul 26, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #8,177 of 12,748
I have the opposite problem. I've used the he560 and now use LCD-X. But I want to get back into the HE-560.

Sounds like the chocolate/peanut butter problem. Make a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.

Make a swap. Everyone is happy. 

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #8,179 of 12,748
I agree the X are easy to drive.  I have the Red Dragonfly and it drives my X decently from my MacPro.

However, in order to experience the best SQ that the X have to offer, you need to pair them with a more powerful amp.  They benefit from some mojo (meaning amperage).  This will make a world of difference to your listening experience.  Just IMHO and, of course, YMWV.

Cheers,
RCB

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #8,180 of 12,748
I just asked this on the LCD-XC forum, thought I would ask here as well:

Can anyone tell me what $500 - $1200 desktop amp they are using with their LCD-X/XC, if so? I'm considering a Burson Soloist, Meier Corda Classic FF, Cavalli Liquid Carbon and V200.

Am I missing any obvious amp choices at that price range?

Also, how much better will a desktop amp (such as the above) be over my Hifi M8, or Chord Mojo if I got one?

I'll be using the DAC from my Apogee Duet, from my Macbook Pro.

Jul 30, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #8,181 of 12,748
V200 with a quite neutral DAC (Yggy for me) will make the LCD-X shine IMHO

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #8,182 of 12,748
Heavily lurking this thread, and am wondering if you guys think that a schiit magni/modi stack would seriously impede the X's potential.

I demoed them being fed from an Oppo HA-1 at Headroom a few months ago and would've bought them on the spot if not for my infernally small college student bank account. They're my target right now but I'm still thirsty for better upstream gear even though that would slow my crawl to afford the cans. 

I know I need to get a better DAC not being fed by USB power because I've already noticed issues with certain ports on my PC producing a hum that resonates through the modi. 

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #8,183 of 12,748
Heavily lurking this thread, and am wondering if you guys think that a schiit magni/modi stack would seriously impede the X's potential.

I demoed them being fed from an Oppo HA-1 at Headroom a few months ago and would've bought them on the spot if not for my infernally small college student bank account. They're my target right now but I'm still thirsty for better upstream gear even though that would slow my crawl to afford the cans. 

I know I need to get a better DAC not being fed by USB power because I've already noticed issues with certain ports on my PC producing a hum that resonates through the modi. 

There are improvements to be had with better amps and DACs. However, your biggest gain in sound quality will come from better headphones. Therefore, I'd say get the LCD-X first and then over time working on improving your amp and DAC.

I have the LCD-X and the HA-1. That was my first pairing for the X. Since then I have been working on improving the SQ by pairing the X with higher quality amps and DACs. I'm finding improvements along this road, but the improvements are not as significant as the leap in SQ that I got from listening to the X over lesser headphones.

Jul 31, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #8,184 of 12,748
I am trying to decide between the LCD-X and Ether Flow.

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #8,185 of 12,748
There are improvements to be had with better amps and DACs. However, your biggest gain in sound quality will come from better headphones. Therefore, I'd say get the LCD-X first and then over time working on improving your amp and DAC.

I have the LCD-X and the HA-1. That was my first pairing for the X. Since then I have been working on improving the SQ by pairing the X with higher quality amps and DACs. I'm finding improvements along this road, but the improvements are not as significant as the leap in SQ that I got from listening to the X over lesser headphones.

A huge +1 on this. Upgrading to the XC was a huge leap forward for me, and I have only heard slight improvements through amps/dacs since then. Getting it all done in one go sounds like a good plan at first, but I recommend getting to know the X first, and listening to it on a few combinations before you spend loads on a system.

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #8,186 of 12,748
Thanks all for your amp and DAC recommendations. I'm gunna try and hear most of them when I move to LA very soon. It's been great to know what a few of you are enjoying with your audeze cans. Cheers!

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #8,187 of 12,748
A huge +1 on this. Upgrading to the XC was a huge leap forward for me, and I have only heard slight improvements through amps/dacs since then. Getting it all done in one go sounds like a good plan at first, but I recommend getting to know the X first, and listening to it on a few combinations before you spend loads on a system.

I second what has been said here.

Going from a cheap headphone to a Mad Dog Pro was eye opening. From the Mad Dog Pro to the LCD-X was nirvana. 

I use a middle of the road Schiit Bifrost 4490. Works just fine.

Trying to improve the sound, I changed my Schiit Asgard 2 amp for an Ember 2 (tube amp). That made a nice difference but still small compared to the improvement in sound I got from going to from a $49 pair of headphones to the Mad Dog Pro and finally to the LCD-X.

Start with the best headphones you can get. I am very partial to the LCD-X. Then build around that. For not much money after the cost of the headphones, you can have a fantastic system. Consider an Ember 2 amp. Inexpensive and will rock your world.

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #8,188 of 12,748
I agree with the above posts for sure. Get the headphones that sound best to you, then build a system around it. The amp and dac is an easy way to get sucked into spending a lot of money that you don't have to. As long as you are getting clean, efficient power to your headphones then you should be good to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back