Audeze LCD-X
May 15, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #7,891 of 12,748
Well Audeze could be like most manufacturers and add a "2" or other such nomenclature and bump up the retail cost. Personally I prefer the continual improvement and keeping the price the same.

BTW, the new carbon headband is a very worthwhile investment, I can wear my LCD-3f all day now.

Or they could keep the price the same and rename it as 2nd gen like Beyerdynamic did.

May 15, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #7,892 of 12,748

agree... at the end of the day gen 1 is now worth less because of these changes but some unknowing buyer in the used market will be taken for that.  it just doesn't help anyone. people want to know what they are listening to without second guessing if it is what they say it is.

May 16, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #7,893 of 12,748
I asked Audeze directly the differences in the 2016 revision;

'There is a subtle voicing difference between the older and current spec LCD drivers, the most prominent feature of which is a few dB smoothing of the upper mid and lower high frequencies.

Be aware that the differences between the 2015 and 2016 headphones are fairly subtle, and not everyone will hear them the same way or like what they hear. Therefore we can't make any guarantees about your perception of the differences.'

So not a huge change. Wouldn't say the older models are worse off then (some might actually prefer the sound signature of the older revisions I'd think).

May 18, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #7,894 of 12,748
I have at least six different cables for my LCD X that is also vice versa with HD700 via adapter. They all possess different character and timber some is better than the other in terms of clarity, tonality, transparency, impact and overall dynamics. They each create it's own synergy with headphones and the rest of your gear in the chain. Fortunately, I managed to liberate my self from cable limitation by good ol' DYI  ...thanks to You Tube ! No more need to spend $$$ on overprice aftermarket cables.

skyfall your DIY path sounds also very interesting. Could you elaborate a bit more on this? Where do I seek guidance how to do it, instructions, materials, parts, design, tools. I do like DIY, I did some soldering, cables etc but more in a domain of car electrics and audio than in HiFi. I bet I would need a smaller new soldering gun etc.
Anyway after reading all recommendation and answers to my qestions I will focus on cables at the end as a last step of refining and upgrading my entire system. New TT and phono stage upgrade will come first I guess.
I will stick to standard cables for now and buy more music.

Kristof

May 18, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #7,895 of 12,748
Has anyone tried SonarWorks now that the app supports the LCD-X? I installed the trial today, then set it up through foobar using the VST adapter..

Man it changes the sound quality quite a bit.. Seems to focus the imaging and extend the mid/upper mids. At this point I am pretty sure I am going to spend the 100 and buy it. Would like to others impressions! 

I used these instructions to get it working with my windows/foobar setup

Okay, I got it to work with foobar2000. Here's what you need to do.

Download and install the free trial of Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone. (Or purchase it.)

Download and install this VST adapter in foobar2000.

Go to Components, VST plugins and add the Sonarworks plugin.

Go to Playback, DSP Manager and activate the Sonarworks plugin. Then click Configure Selected.

If anyone needs more specific info, I can help.

I haven't listened yet, but I'm excited!

May 19, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #7,896 of 12,748
skyfall your DIY path sounds also very interesting. Could you elaborate a bit more on this? Where do I seek guidance how to do it, instructions, materials, parts, design, tools. I do like DIY, I did some soldering, cables etc but more in a domain of car electrics and audio than in HiFi. I bet I would need a smaller new soldering gun etc.
Anyway after reading all recommendation and answers to my qestions I will focus on cables at the end as a last step of refining and upgrading my entire system. New TT and phono stage upgrade will come first I guess.
I will stick to standard cables for now and buy more music.

Kristof

Hi Kristof,
Glad you took interest to DYI your cables and all you need is the Head-Fi DYI bible which is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread

The first page lists all the suppliers where you can get your tools and cables to start off. You can read and go through those pages and ask around members there.There is a cable Guru @PETEREK, he does cables professionally and he's really nice guy, they are all very helpful. Other than that you can source Youtube for visual training on how to solder correctly, there are many videos out there. Some stuff you might want to order from amazon because they are cheaper but it depends on where you live.

You can start at page 330 if you want (http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread/4935) to make it short and simple. 

You will also need some wiring diagram for Audeze or other headphone which you can also find them online or here :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/765583/audeze-4-pin-mini-xlr-to-trs-wiring-help

Many will recommend to use Mogami, they are flexible, dirt cheap and sounds just like those $$$ cables out there.

Another great place to source cables and connectors are boutique cable stores such as: 
http://www.plussoundaudio.com/
http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/
http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/index.php?route=product/category&path=62
and 
http://www.lunashops.com/. They have silver and hybrid cables is you're up for it !

Hope that helps.

PS: once you get going you can't stop they are addicting 
ksc75smile.gif

May 20, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #7,897 of 12,748
  Has anyone tried SonarWorks now that the app supports the LCD-X? I installed the trial today, then set it up through foobar using the VST adapter..

Man it changes the sound quality quite a bit.. Seems to focus the imaging and extend the mid/upper mids. At this point I am pretty sure I am going to spend the 100 and buy it. Would like to others impressions! 

I used these instructions to get it working with my windows/foobar setup

Okay, I got it to work with foobar2000. Here's what you need to do.

Download and install the free trial of Sonarworks Reference 3 Headphone. (Or purchase it.)

Download and install this VST adapter in foobar2000.

Go to Components, VST plugins and add the Sonarworks plugin.

Go to Playback, DSP Manager and activate the Sonarworks plugin. Then click Configure Selected.

If anyone needs more specific info, I can help.

I haven't listened yet, but I'm excited!

I could use a bit of installation help.  I've not had good luck with .dll files when installing to FB.  Could you tell me what to do with the dll file once I unzip it?
Thanks.

May 20, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #7,898 of 12,748

I could use a bit of installation help.  I've not had good luck with .dll files when installing to FB.  Could you tell me what to do with the dll file once I unzip it?
Thanks.

don't bother extracting the zip..Do this instead

open foobar-->File-->Preferences-->Components

on the right hand pane select "Install"... Now locate the zip "foo_vst_0903.zip " that you downloaded, then press ok..

You may need to restart foobar

Once back in...

open foobar-->File-->Preferences-->Playback-->DSM Manager

Select SonarWorks from the far left hab pane, once highlights press the top arrow to bring it over to the "Active DSP's" pane..

Once there you should be able to select the "configure selected" button to configure SonarWorks for your LCD-X 

May 20, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #7,899 of 12,748

Thanks.

don't bother extracting the zip..Do this instead

open foobar-->File-->Preferences-->Components

on the right hand pane select "Install"... Now locate the zip "foo_vst_0903.zip " that you downloaded, then press ok..

You may need to restart foobar

Once back in...

open foobar-->File-->Preferences-->Playback-->DSM Manager

Select SonarWorks from the far left hab pane, once highlights press the top arrow to bring it over to the "Active DSP's" pane..

Once there you should be able to select the "configure selected" button to configure SonarWorks for your LCD-X 

That's the strange thing.  The install button never seems to work for me.  But, I'll keep trying.
Oops!  I figured it out after so many years.  I actually have to use Alt+I  as the enter button doesn't work in this case.
I'll let you know how it sounds. 

May 23, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #7,901 of 12,748
G'day

I've finally ordered new LCD-X. I got it for a good price so I guess they are not updated edition (2015). At the moment I have little dot MKIII tube apm which drives sennheiser HD580 very well. Apparently the OTL tube amps are not good for low impedance phones. Minimum recommended impedance is 32ohm. It is not such a problem as I am planning to get a new headphone amp anyway. I really wanted to get M11 but it is around 800AUD more expensive than NFB-1AMP + DAC-19 combo and that doesn't even include import taxes and GST.

I read a lot threads and in general some users recon the combo is about 95% of M11.

Does anyone use LCD-X with NFB-1AMP. Is amp powerful enough to drive the LCD-X? Is it a good match? I don't know much about electrics, voltage, current etc. but from what I've read low impedance phones are current hungry, hence not a good match for my little dot MKII amp.
What other amps would you recommend for LCD-X? I've gone through most of this thread but 527 gives you information overload  :) 

cheers

Kristof

May 23, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #7,902 of 12,748
About 2016 revision. Indeed all changes are subtle but noticeable.
Today i received my 2016 version of LCD-X. I previously owned two pairs od X’s, one from 2014 and second from 2015. I cannot compare them directly as i sold it few months ago but i can say 2016 sounds more balanced and airy but without losing quality in any area.
My 2014 version had some problems with sibilance (i’d say around 6k) and that was the reason why i’ve sold it and although 2016 seems little brighter it has no issues in the upper register. No at all. I’d even say it’s definitely an improvement over older X’s in that area. You can clearly hear what’s going on in transients and as i’m working with audio i definitely find it more useful in my work.
Bass - still there, sill super tight. I believe there was a bit more bass (in quanity) in 2015 model i’ve owned but i prefer 2016 in that matter. I believe it might be also a reason why new X’s sound is more balanced. It keeps it’s character but i’d say it has (EVEN) better resolution.
Please be aware it’s all first impressions during my first hours of listening from Apollo Twin with stock cable. But at the moment i’m very pleased with my purchase.

May 23, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #7,903 of 12,748
  About 2016 revision. Indeed all changes are subtle but noticeable.
Today i received my 2016 version of LCD-X. I previously owned two pairs od X’s, one from 2014 and second from 2015. I cannot compare them directly as i sold it few months ago but i can say 2016 sounds more balanced and airy but without losing quality in any area.
My 2014 version had some problems with sibilance (i’d say around 6k) and that was the reason why i’ve sold it and although 2016 seems little brighter it has no issues in the upper register. No at all. I’d even say it’s definitely an improvement over older X’s in that area. You can clearly hear what’s going on in transients and as i’m working with audio i definitely find it more useful in my work.
Bass - still there, sill super tight. I believe there was a bit more bass (in quanity) in 2015 model i’ve owned but i prefer 2016 in that matter. I believe it might be also a reason why new X’s sound is more balanced. It keeps it’s character but i’d say it has (EVEN) better resolution.
Please be aware it’s all first impressions during my first hours of listening from Apollo Twin with stock cable. But at the moment i’m very pleased with my purchase.

Thanks.  Good sign.  Probably still wait for further impressions, but good to hear.

May 23, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #7,904 of 12,748
  G'day

I've finally ordered new LCD-X. I got it for a good price so I guess they are not updated edition (2015). At the moment I have little dot MKIII tube apm which drives sennheiser HD580 very well. Apparently the OTL tube amps are not good for low impedance phones. Minimum recommended impedance is 32ohm. It is not such a problem as I am planning to get a new headphone amp anyway. I really wanted to get M11 but it is around 800AUD more expensive than NFB-1AMP + DAC-19 combo and that doesn't even include import taxes and GST.

I read a lot threads and in general some users recon the combo is about 95% of M11.

Does anyone use LCD-X with NFB-1AMP. Is amp powerful enough to drive the LCD-X? Is it a good match? I don't know much about electrics, voltage, current etc. but from what I've read low impedance phones are current hungry, hence not a good match for my little dot MKII amp.
What other amps would you recommend for LCD-X? I've gone through most of this thread but 527 gives you information overload  :) 

cheers

Kristof

Hi Kristoff,

I had the Schiit Asgard 2. It is a good little amp. But I decided to go to a tube amp, so went to the Ember 2 from garage1217.com. 

Wow, what a difference. My LCD-X came alive. I guess I really like the tube sounding amps - at least this one.

And the price is right! At $349.99 I wondered if it really could be a contender. I bought it with the idea that it would probably sit in the closet gathering dust. But it is the Asgard 2 gathering dust. 

So the Ember 2 gets my vote for great pairing with the LCD-X.

Ken

May 23, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #7,905 of 12,748
Is anyone able to compare the WA7/WA7tp with the Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir (pairing with the LCD-X of course)? I've never heard a tube amp, and I'm a bit confused as why it's so popular. It does look awesome, I'll admit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back