Audeze LCD-X
Dec 8, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #1,951 of 12,748
If you know how to read between the lines there are actually quite a lot of information in 6moons reviews. You just need a filter for the prose and metaphors
biggrin.gif

When I filter their 20,000-word articles I am left with two words I can possibly digest without getting acid reflux.  To me they are useless.  I haven't read their reviews for the past two years and my neurons have surprisingly been regenerating.  For worthwhile reviews I read what you guys have to say.

Dec 8, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #1,952 of 12,748
What's your reference HD800?

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #1,954 of 12,748
I haven't heard the HD800's yet, but I am dying to hear them, what kind of music are they best with?

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #1,955 of 12,748
I haven't heard the HD800's yet, but I am dying to hear them, what kind of music are they best with?

Classical, for sure.  Be sure to hear them with tubes or a darker-sounding headamp (i.e., the Ray Samuels Darkstar, although mighty expensive, does wonders with them).  Also, be sure to use a copper replacement headphone cable (e.g., Moon Audio Black Dragon) and copper interconnects to tame down the treble.  Use silver cables and it will be too thin and piercing at times.  It you don't like classical, then better to go with something like the T1, which makes everything sound good.

Dec 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #1,956 of 12,748
  When I filter their 20,000-word articles I am left with two words I can possibly digest without getting acid reflux.  To me they are useless.  I haven't read their reviews for the past two years and my neurons have surprisingly been regenerating.  For worthwhile reviews I read what you guys have to say.

Yeah his reviews gave me headache at first (and for a long time). I'm no native english speaker so I thought my knowledge were too short for such writing skills. It seems native-english speaker also have trouble understanding his style, LOL.

The thing is, he actually listened to many gears that cover quite a wide range of sound flavur and price (though the latter tend to stay in a category where diminishing returns is already quite low.) and it is already well known what his preferences are (warm, lush, cozy, romantic, ...). The LCD-2 are actually his bedside headphones, for that reason. I think he is always honest when he describes the headphones and knows that his preference are quite strong.

There are a lot of comparison to similarly priced gears (e.g. I found his coverage of the Metrum HEX, Auralic Vega and SOtM sDP-1000 very helpful) and his background is very good for that.

It's worth the effort, IMO. And you can always skip the first 2/3 pages when he writes about his life and the life of the gear 
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #1,957 of 12,748

Yeah his reviews gave me headache at first (and for a long time). I'm no native english speaker so I thought my knowledge were too short for such writing skills. It seems native-english speaker also have trouble understanding his style, LOL.

The thing is, he actually listened to many gears that cover quite a wide range of sound flavur and price (though the latter tend to stay in a category where diminishing returns is already quite low.) and it is already well known what his preferences are (warm, lush, cozy, romantic, ...). The LCD-2 are actually his bedside headphones, for that reason. I think he is always honest when he describes the headphones and knows that his preference are quite strong.

There are a lot of comparison to similarly priced gears (e.g. I found his coverage of the Metrum HEX, Auralic Vega and SOtM sDP-1000 very helpful) and his background is very good for that.

It's worth the effort, IMO. And you can always skip the first 2/3 pages when he writes about his life and the life of the gear 
biggrin.gif

I think you are talking about steve guttenberg...I do enjoy his writing sometimes, even though I enjoy the writings of Head-Fi members much more.  The one that gives almost every one a headache is the guy (with the Serbian? name) at 6Moons.  He suffers from logorrhea of the worst type...sometimes I have no idea what he is writing...and most of the time, by the end of the review he just mentions the sound of the gear as in passing and you are left wanting to commit murder for having made you waste your time in such a miserable manner...insufferable!  I don't think the guy respects his readers...masturbatory writing is what it is...for his own pleasure and no one else's.

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #1,958 of 12,748

Classical, Acoustic (Jazz, Flamenco, Live Gigs), Ambient Electronic, some Trance. Some well recorded rock albums some pretty great on them too.

Dec 8, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #1,959 of 12,748
  I have the previous version of the Decware Taboo.  Congratulations...great amp.  Forget about the stock tubes, though.  You will need to upgrade to get the best out of it.  Since I am expecting to get my LCD-Xs on Monday, I'll let everyone know how they sound out of the Taboo, Ray Samuels Darkstar, Burson Soloist, Grace 902, and Heardroom ultra desktop amp.  If you by any chance own the T1s, you are in for a real treat the Taboo!!!

Didn't like the LCD-X + Headroom Ultra combo. Just felt that synergy wasn't great. Currently running the LCD-X out of my Schiit combo (Gungnir+Mjolnir). Really good combo.
Sounds even better now with the new JPlay 5.2 Alternate version. Faster, clearer with deeper and better defined bass.

And NO, i am not getting sucked into the flame war on JPlay 's usefulness or the lack thereof. It works for me. Period.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #1,960 of 12,748
  I think you are talking about steve guttenberg...I do enjoy his writing sometimes, even though I enjoy the writings of Head-Fi members much more.  The one that gives almost every one a headache is the guy (with the Serbian? name) at 6Moons.  He suffers from logorrhea of the worst type...sometimes I have no idea what he is writing...and most of the time, by the end of the review he just mentions the sound of the gear as in passing and you are left wanting to commit murder for having made you waste your time in such a miserable manner...insufferable!  I don't think the guy respects his readers...masturbatory writing is what it is...for his own pleasure and no one else's.

Yes, even I have trouble understanding Srajan's reviews sometime.
tongue.gif
 He's a very wordy guy, and it's interesting to read his reviews every now and then but I understand some people may not like his style of writing.

But Steve Guttenberg's reviews are just too short and doesn't exactly describe how each gear sounds like. He uses simple terms anyone can use to describe any headphones that just sound good to his ears. While regular folks who don't know a lot about headphones may like his reviews, for hardcore enthusiasts like us, his reviews seem to insufficient and lacking in critical information such as the analysis of sound signature, headphone amp matching, comparison with other headphones, etc.

Dec 8, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #1,961 of 12,748

tongue.gif
 He's a very wordy guy, and it's interesting to read his reviews every now and then but I understand some people may not like his style of writing.

But Steve Guttenberg's reviews are just too short and doesn't exactly describe how each gear sounds like. He uses simple terms anyone can use to describe any headphones that just sound good to his ears. While regular folks who don't know a lot about headphones may like his reviews, for hardcore enthusiasts like us, his reviews seem to insufficient and lacking in critical information such as the analysis of sound signature, headphone amp matching, comparison with other headphones, etc.

Remember he writes for CNET, where people visiting the site does not have that great attention span. He writing is succinct yet still managing to tell pretty much all the pictures.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #1,962 of 12,748

biggrin.gif
...I like your choice of words

Dec 8, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #1,963 of 12,748
Yeah Guttenberg does tend to wax it on pretty thick, some of his reviews read like advertisements. But I will take his reviews over that Srjan guy at 6moons, his reviews are a bit bombastic for me, though like you said, quite informative, it just sounds like he is trying to write the last great american novel instead of an equipment review.

+1
Totally agree with you.
I stopped reading Srjan's reviews some time ago mainly for this reason:)

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #1,964 of 12,748

tongue.gif

Agreed...but at least it's not like you're trying to decipher a hieroglyphic, hehe!

Dec 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #1,965 of 12,748
I think Hieroglyphics might be easier to read anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back