Audeze LCD-MX4
Dec 8, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #736 of 907
is there a major change from the LCD2 to these?

What amp is recommended for studio work?

I currently have a set of LCD2 with SPL phonitor for room simulation, but im wondering if there is a better setup.

Thanks.

Dec 9, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #738 of 907
How does this compare with lcd4 and lcd4z?

a lot lighter and more efficient for starters. sound-wise tighter and fuller bass then the X and a bit better extension and clarity of the highs. a bit less bass and treble extension and clarity then the 4s, so pretty much right in the middle between the X and the 4s. havent tried the z so not sure there.

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #739 of 907
This headphone is so perfect. Listening to The Ghost in Your Smile - Gnarly Gibbs on Qobuz and just amazed how good it sounds. It's like the Sennheiser 600-series, which is amazing, but add serious impact, massively expanded soundstage, great imaging... just perfect.

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #741 of 907
Found a good deal on the mx for £1700, do you guys think this worth it. They are second hand ?
I got my pair on sale from Audeze for $1500USD. That struck me as a pretty good deal, 1700GBP seems not great for 2nd hand.

Jan 24, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #743 of 907
I got my pair on sale from Audeze for $1500USD. That struck me as a pretty good deal, 1700GBP seems not great for 2nd hand.

I also got my second pair during that sale. I agree that the used price could be lower based on what I've seen, but consider this:

That massive sale occurred in the winter of 2018/2019 and it has not been repeated since. So the reality of it is that if someone wants the MX4 (and there are strong arguments for wanting this), they have to either pay $3000 for a new pair or get a used one for cheaper. A future sale is very uncertain.

At today's exchange rate 1700 GBP = approx. $2200. So that is a >25% discount over the brand new price. It is a nice discount, but I would make sure that it is in excellent condition. That way the $800 saved could be justified by the expired or near-expired warranty and the rest being on par with a brand new unit. The potential buyer needs to ask themselves if the warranty is worth $800 to them. Based on my experience (using the MX4 since 9/2018) and what I have read here (or not read more specifically), these are built very well and have no issues. But this is just my experience.

Personally I know of only one used MX4 being sold and I think the price was $1500 in the U.S.

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #745 of 907
I’ve been talking to a few shops regarding amps/dac. one has said my chord mojo will be absolutely fine and work well with it and another has said I need a much more high end unit, that will cost a lot more. What are people’s views.

I was thinking of upgrading to schiit amp/dac

Jan 24, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #748 of 907
A couple of things: the Mx4 doesn't need much power at all. I barely have any play in the volume knob using the thx789 and am at 12/63 using my NFB-1. On the plus side, they sound great out of any sources I've tried, even my PS4 controller.

Also, the sale price was repeated during Black Friday 2019, however it was only through their website and available for US only. I bought my pair during the sale from Woo Audio (came with a free Woo headphone stand).

They're a great headphone, but I couldn't justify paying any more than I did for them. Beyond the comfort and build quality improvements, their sound isn't much of an improvement at all over LCD-x. I prefer the sound signature more and they're slightly more resolving, but it's not worth the price difference at retail.

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #750 of 907
A couple of things: the Mx4 doesn't need much power at all. I barely have any play in the volume knob using the thx789 and am at 12/63 using my NFB-1. On the plus side, they sound great out of any sources I've tried, even my PS4 controller.

Also, the sale price was repeated during Black Friday 2019, however it was only through their website and available for US only. I bought my pair during the sale from Woo Audio (came with a free Woo headphone stand).

They're a great headphone, but I couldn't justify paying any more than I did for them. Beyond the comfort and build quality improvements, their sound isn't much of an improvement at all over LCD-x. I prefer the sound signature more and they're slightly more resolving, but it's not worth the price difference at retail.

Are you sure about the Black Friday sale last year? I was on the Audeze site and they only had B-stock on sale. That's what I recall and my memory is usually very good. But I must be wrong? (I understand that you bought yours during the 18/19 winter sale from Woo Audio)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back