Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Dec 22, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #4,516 of 4,801
I'm tired of trying to find tonal synergy between i4 and other equipment. What I want to test is to apply software EQ to the files in the computer before transferring them. My players have no ability to EQ. I'm now wondering if anyone has done something similar before.

I'm currently trying out a plug-in for a music program. It works but is very time consuming as I have to take one song at a time. The optimal thing would be to find an application that can do it in bulk.
If you run balanced, Oriolus has a 5- band external eq. I use it with my Shanling m8 to great effect. Even with 5 band, it makes the i4 the best in my collection by far. Not good for testing to walk around, but fine for a sit down listen. About the size of an iPhone

Dec 22, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #4,517 of 4,801
If you run balanced, Oriolus has a 5- band external eq. I use it with my Shanling m8 to great effect. Even with 5 band, it makes the i4 the best in my collection by far. Not good for testing to walk around, but fine for a sit down listen. About the size of an iPhone
Thanks for your reply. I have good equipment but need to get the tonality right only. I think it's best in my case to EQ redo the songs in the computer.

Dec 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #4,518 of 4,801
I'm tired of trying to find tonal synergy between i4 and other equipment. What I want to test is to apply software EQ to the files in the computer before transferring them. My players have no ability to EQ. I'm now wondering if anyone has done something similar before.

I'm currently trying out a plug-in for a music program. It works but is very time consuming as I have to take one song at a time. The optimal thing would be to find an application that can do it in bulk.
I'm using built in EQ, but you should try roon which will let you easily switch on the exact correct audeze EQ for all of your music without doing anything except selecting the i4 EQ. The other super easy and foolproof solution is to just use the cipher cable with Apple devices.

Dec 22, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #4,519 of 4,801
I'm using built in EQ, but you should try roon which will let you easily switch on the exact correct audeze EQ for all of your music without doing anything except selecting the i4 EQ. The other super easy and foolproof solution is to just use the cipher cable with Apple devices.
I have Hugo2+2Go that I want to use when I'm out on the go. As I see it, the only possibility is apply EQ to the music files via a computer and then load the modified files on 2Go. I have already tried and the result seems promising. But it is a time-consuming task to take one file at a time. Therefore, I wonder if anyone knows software that can EQ multiple files at the same time?

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #4,520 of 4,801
Which programs have you tried ? Are you Mac or PC ? Audacity will batch process with any tweaks, though a dated UI. Adobe Audition has some batch processing as well.

And yeah, I hear your frustration. When I started using portable players I was surprised at how few have proper EQ. I find I use EQ almost all the time and had to limit my DAP choices accordingly.

Dec 22, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #4,521 of 4,801
Which programs have you tried ? Are you Mac or PC ? Audacity will batch process with any tweaks, though a dated UI. Adobe Audition has some batch processing as well.

And yeah, I hear your frustration. When I started using portable players I was surprised at how few have proper EQ. I find I use EQ almost all the time and had to limit my DAP choices accordingly.
I'm using Mac. The program I'm trying right now is Audacity + Fabfilter Pro Q-3. I'm really new to the subject. But the feeling was that the EQ plugin itself is important. I've been very frustrated that I haven't been able to make the i4 sound as good as it really can. Tonality is very important to me. A few db up and down transform the music from almost boring to very engaging.

Dec 22, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #4,522 of 4,801
Yeah, the plugin definitely matters for quality, and a couple db really make a difference.

Looks like in the latest Audacity you need to create a macro, which will have the EQ in it as a step. Then you can run that macro on a set of files. There should be examples on how to create macros, let me know if you have any issues . . . I've done a lot of batch processing in audio and visual programs over the years. Can be a pita to learn and set up, but once you're up to speed it is easy.

Dec 23, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #4,523 of 4,801
Yeah, the plugin definitely matters for quality, and a couple db really make a difference.

Looks like in the latest Audacity you need to create a macro, which will have the EQ in it as a step. Then you can run that macro on a set of files. There should be examples on how to create macros, let me know if you have any issues . . . I've done a lot of batch processing in audio and visual programs over the years. Can be a pita to learn and set up, but once you're up to speed it is easy.
Thanks! It's people like you who make me believe humanity can fix the problems we're facing :)

I have used macros in Excell many years ago so I have a basic understanding. I would be very grateful for your support. The goal is to take an album and apply the same EQ to all songs. I will google on the subject to see if I can find information.

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #4,524 of 4,801

I have now found a way that goes much faster.

First I drag the files to Audacity.
In step two I have a macro that marks all the files and applies EQ on them.
Lastly I export them in bulk to folder of choice.

I understand that it`s possible to automate even more. But it works much better than before.

The most important thing for me is that I don't lose sound quality through what I do with the files. Do you have thoughts on that?

Dec 23, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #4,525 of 4,801
I have now found a way that goes much faster.

First I drag the files to Audacity.
In step two I have a macro that marks all the files and applies EQ on them.
Lastly I export them in bulk to folder of choice.

I understand that it`s possible to automate even more. But it works much better than before.

The most important thing for me is that I don't lose sound quality through what I do with the files. Do you have thoughts on that?
Yeah, in my experience that's about as fast as you're going to get with a tool like Audacity. I think at the least you'll need to point it at your set of files (ie dragging them into Audacity), you may be able to further optimize by setting up a step in the macro to save the files. Something like either saving them into a new folder with existing folder structures (tracks per album folder) or perhaps adding an extension, such as "EQ", to each track or folder name.

A tool like FFMPEG would allow a very high level of scripted control, such as being able to set it to run on a top level folder, open each file, apply the EQ and then save appropriately. But, it is fairly technical to use and I'm not sure how much support there would be for VST plugins.

Regarding sound quality, just keep it in an uncompressed format such as FLAC. However, make sure you adjust the headroom by -3 DB or so to compensate for boosting frequencies. Otherwise you make clip the track, which can't be fixed later. Of course can always go back to the source.

Hope this all helps, sounds like you're on the right path.

Dec 23, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #4,526 of 4,801
Yeah, in my experience that's about as fast as you're going to get with a tool like Audacity. I think at the least you'll need to point it at your set of files (ie dragging them into Audacity), you may be able to further optimize by setting up a step in the macro to save the files. Something like either saving them into a new folder with existing folder structures (tracks per album folder) or perhaps adding an extension, such as "EQ", to each track or folder name.

A tool like FFMPEG would allow a very high level of scripted control, such as being able to set it to run on a top level folder, open each file, apply the EQ and then save appropriately. But, it is fairly technical to use and I'm not sure how much support there would be for VST plugins.

Regarding sound quality, just keep it in an uncompressed format such as FLAC. However, make sure you adjust the headroom by -3 DB or so to compensate for boosting frequencies. Otherwise you make clip the track, which can't be fixed later. Of course can always go back to the source.

Hope this all helps, sounds like you're on the right path.
These are EQ values I found here on the thread.

Low Shelf: 100 Hz, 3.5 dB, 0.85 Q
Analog Bell: 1000 Hz, -1.5 dB, 0.4 Q
Analog Bell: 2895 Hz, 5.0 dB, 2.0 Q
Analog Bell: 10000 Hz, -4.0 dB, 5.0 Q

And -2.5 dB Headroom (Would perhaps be a little more minus?)

Quloos Q360 (WAV only firmware) -> Stock i4 cable -> Audeze i3. is the only combination I've tested to play the files on so far. It Sound very good to my ears.
The next step is to test Hugo2+2Go -> Lavricables Grand Line -> i4. I will probably test some other values as all the parts have a little different tonality compared to the Quloos combination.

Do you have EQ settings that you like with i4?

Im very grateful for your support :)

Dec 23, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #4,527 of 4,801
I would just go with the suggested headroom adjustment for the EQ settings you are using. Most important is that you are adjusting the headroom :)

I don't end up using my i4 with portable players, I find that when I'm using portable it is usually in noisy environments and it is just frustrating to try and listen in such areas. My current setup is using Euclid with an iBasso 220, which is decent though for me a bit underpowered. The EQ is decent but UI kind of sucks. Best EQ for me has been Roon.

Dec 23, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #4,528 of 4,801
Very happily enjoying my LCDi4s with the AK Kann Max after achieving a happy EQ! The pic is of the Kann Max screen EQ after tinkering.
20221223_125933.jpg

Dec 23, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #4,529 of 4,801
These are EQ values I found here on the thread.

Low Shelf: 100 Hz, 3.5 dB, 0.85 Q
Analog Bell: 1000 Hz, -1.5 dB, 0.4 Q
Analog Bell: 2895 Hz, 5.0 dB, 2.0 Q
Analog Bell: 10000 Hz, -4.0 dB, 5.0 Q

And -2.5 dB Headroom (Would perhaps be a little more minus?)

Quloos Q360 (WAV only firmware) -> Stock i4 cable -> Audeze i3. is the only combination I've tested to play the files on so far. It Sound very good to my ears.
The next step is to test Hugo2+2Go -> Lavricables Grand Line -> i4. I will probably test some other values as all the parts have a little different tonality compared to the Quloos combination.

Do you have EQ settings that you like with i4?

Im very grateful for your support :)
Yes, that’s exactly the EQ I’m using and it’s the most suitable one for my taste. I’ve tried other EQ, but this one is the best to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back