Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Nov 22, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #4,066 of 4,804
Former sIne 20 owner and finally got the i4, I’m picking it up today! Using primarily iPhone and Mac as primary audio source, would the Cobalt be a good portable DAC pairing? And how is the Bluetooth Cipher cable?
Just keep in mind that iPhone has no way to apply system wide EQ so Cobalt will not change that. With the Cipher cable, the EQ is built in and sound is surprisingly good. BT cable sounds ok to meh, but not worth the trouble since it still feels like a wired cable.

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #4,067 of 4,804
Just curious, how are you all getting a good seal with these? Is there some trick to it? Even with the largest aftermarket tips I can find, the flat planar design prevents the nozzle from inserting far enough.

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #4,068 of 4,804
Just curious, how are you all getting a good seal with these? Is there some trick to it? Even with the largest aftermarket tips I can find, the flat planar design prevents the nozzle from inserting far enough.
I may be wrong, but my impression is these aren’t as dependent on a seal for bass response as typical IEMs are.

I also don’t feel like I get a good seal but it doesn’t seem to effect low end like my Euclid’s since they are open back.

Others with more knowledge may chime in though.

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #4,069 of 4,804
Here is the official Audeze tutorial on fit:

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #4,071 of 4,804
They aren’t actually meant to insert. Try pressing them toward your ear canal gently to ensure a seal around the edge and if the sound doesn’t change then you indeed have a seal without actually inserting them in to your canal.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #4,073 of 4,804
They aren’t actually meant to insert. Try pressing them toward your ear canal gently to ensure a seal around the edge and if the sound doesn’t change then you indeed have a seal without actually inserting them in to your canal.
The i4s definitely depend on a seal at the outer edge of your ear canal. Without that seal, you will not get the deep and powerful bass response it is capable of. Dynamics and levels will also suffer somewhat.

The difference with other IEMs is that the seal is meant to just rest at the entrance of the ear canal and not be inserted inside the canal. You will know if the eartips are pushed in too far if the sound is muddy and boomy.

When it comes to the i4s it really is worth experimenting with positioning, different ears tips, and hook placement. They are capable of top-tier reproduction, but the result will depend heavily on the fitment.

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #4,074 of 4,804
Just been playing around with the i4, and I think they’re really great. With the Cipher Bluetooth, they sound a lot better than the Sony XM4, and AirPods Pro ( Not surprising considering the price point). Outside of the fact that it’s an open back I’m very happy with the SQ.

Now which one would be a better compliment, Chord Mojo, or Audioquest Cobalt?

Nov 29, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #4,075 of 4,804
Just been playing around with the i4, and I think they’re really great. With the Cipher Bluetooth, they sound a lot better than the Sony XM4, and AirPods Pro ( Not surprising considering the price point). Outside of the fact that it’s an open back I’m very happy with the SQ.

Now which one would be a better compliment, Chord Mojo, or Audioquest Cobalt?
air pods pro...that aint much of a comparison lol....the i4 is actually outstanding

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #4,077 of 4,804
I may be wrong, but my impression is these aren’t as dependent on a seal for bass response as typical IEMs are.

I also don’t feel like I get a good seal but it doesn’t seem to effect low end like my Euclid’s since they are open back.

Others with more knowledge may chime in though.
Strange but they are not dependant :) its unusual since most IEMs change their bass response a lot depending on the seal, but not with the i4's.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #4,078 of 4,804
Strange but they are not dependant :) its unusual since most IEMs change their bass response a lot depending on the seal, but not with the i4's.
Yeah, I assumed it was because they are open and therefore are depending primarily on the large driver diaphragm size to create bass vs pressure. Although as was stated above I’m sure the seal and tips do still play a role. I bought mine from a user here and they came with some ribbed tips. I’m not sure if those are stock.

It was a weird feeling putting them in at first because I’m used to the deep insert and feeling of closure and with these it was more like popping in some Apple EarPods haha. I’m thinking “Are these in all the way?” 😆

Nov 30, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #4,079 of 4,804
when I first got my i4 it took me a long time to realize they werent meant to inside your ear canal like typical IEM's...it wasnt until I read a review that I realized I was making a mistake trying to put them into my ear....they actually are outstanding

Nov 30, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #4,080 of 4,804
when I first got my i4 it took me a long time to realize they werent meant to inside your ear canal like typical IEM's...it wasnt until I read a review that I realized I was making a mistake trying to put them into my ear....they actually are outstanding
Definitely. I’m excited to see how they evolve their in-ear designs. I hope they continue to do both the open and closed designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back