Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Nov 17, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #4,051 of 4,795
Anyone owned or compared to the low end on the IER-M9?

I just picked up the LCD-i4 from a member here and absolutely love the bass / low end and would like a closed IEM in that vein. I realize the M9 isn't planar. I also picked up the Euclid, which sounds great overall but I miss the low end extension and quick impact/weight of the i4.

I realize the Z1R might be a more fair comparison, but I'd like something more neutrally tuned if possible and I understand the Z1R may tuned more "fun".

Nov 17, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #4,053 of 4,795
Just a friendly question / reminder - the 2-pin connectors are not the same phase as most IEM/CIEM's - I'm almost positive that they are wired in opposite phase. Since you built the cable, I'm going to assume that you checked the pin -> connector already, but just a reminder to other DIY'ers.

Cheers.
Always a good idea to check continuity for any DIY cable, but Audeze uses the same polarity as any standard 2 pin IEM connector. This is Audeze's own wiring diagram:

isine pin.jpeg

As long as you make sure the notch and the grove are connected correctly, the polarity is the same pin out as any 2 pin cable. There is no standard as to whether the notch faces out or in relative to the socket on the ear pieces.

Nov 21, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #4,055 of 4,795
I am a current owner of lcdi3 and I love openback iem now. Should I go for lcdi4 bstock or audio 64 duo?
Depends how much you love the i3. I had isine 20 for a year. Bought b stock i4. My favorite headphone that I own overall. Even enjoy it on Shanling m8 with foam tips and no eq! i4 is a noticeable step up, and also requires more power

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #4,056 of 4,795
@Pcppps

Definitely yes.
I also had the i3.
I am now the happy owner of the i4.
The Lcd-i4 is in a completely different league!

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #4,057 of 4,795
Definitely yes.
I also had the i3.
I am now the happy owner of the i4.
The Lcd-i4 is in a completely different league!
Depends how much you like the planar sound signature. For me there is nothing else that equals the precision, detail and natural sound of planars. I think the i4 b-stock is one of the best values in the market, for me end game at what is currently seen as a mid-level price

Nov 21, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #4,058 of 4,795
For me there is no such thing as the one planar sound signature.
A DCA headphone sounds fundamentally different to a Meze, or Audeze.
And by that I don't mean the frequency response.
I basically set up all headphones according to the Harman curve.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

So when I talk about the differences between the individual models, I don't mean different frequency responses.

Since I have owned the Lcd-i4, I simply have no need to "try" anything else.
That should mean something, because I owned almost all totl headphones available.

The Lcd-i4 is, in my opinion, to be mentioned in the same breath as all known reference headphones.

After countless headphones / in-ears, I feel an unprecedented satisfaction.
And that for 1300 €. 1200 € for a used i4 + 100 € for a S9.

Adjusted according to Harman, of course.
Again, there was something worth mentioning:
After loading Crinacle's profile everything fit perfectly.
No further adjustments necessary.
No: "Now I just have to lower the treble by 1-3db." or similar

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #4,059 of 4,795
For me there is no such thing as the one planar sound signature.
A DCA headphone sounds fundamentally different to a Meze, or Audeze.
And by that I don't mean the frequency response.
I basically set up all headphones according to the Harman curve.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle

https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

So when I talk about the differences between the individual models, I don't mean different frequency responses.

Since I have owned the Lcd-i4, I simply have no need to "try" anything else.
That should mean something, because I owned almost all totl headphones available.

The Lcd-i4 is, in my opinion, to be mentioned in the same breath as all known reference headphones.

After countless headphones / in-ears, I feel an unprecedented satisfaction.
And that for 1300 €. 1200 € for a used i4 + 100 € for a S9.

Adjusted according to Harman, of course.
Again, there was something worth mentioning:
After loading Crinacle's profile everything fit perfectly.
No further adjustments necessary.
No: "Now I just have to lower the treble by 1-3db." or similar
Good point, sound signature is the incorrect term. It is more like almost the absence of a sound signature . . . amazing technical ability, super clean and linear, as you say a reference headphone.

I have tried others and haven't found anything to rival the i4. Some sound better with certain music styles, but in the end a multi-driver set up doesn't sound natural to me. I can hear the individual drivers coloring different instruments or frequencies. And I agree, I don't find frequency response to be terribly meaningful, as I always use EQ.

FWIW my taste in earphone is directly influenced by years of listening to studio monitors. At home my favorite speakers have been the M&K 150/350 combo.

Thanks for the links to presets, also a fan of the Harman curve.

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #4,061 of 4,795
Always a good idea to check continuity for any DIY cable, but Audeze uses the same polarity as any standard 2 pin IEM connector. This is Audeze's own wiring diagram:

isine pin.jpeg

As long as you make sure the notch and the grove are connected correctly, the polarity is the same pin out as any 2 pin cable. There is no standard as to whether the notch faces out or in relative to the socket on the ear pieces.
How does i4 pair with iDSD Signature? And do you EQ them?

Nov 22, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #4,062 of 4,795
Which Foam Tips do you use? Thanks
Riyo foam 5-7mm on Amazon. Had to stretch the center to get on. Don't think I matters too much. Wanted foam to tame treble just a bit, and provide as much natural lows with stock tuning. With m8 on high gain I really like overall. Definitely smoother more low end with cipher, but details, space, etc sound better through m8.

Nov 22, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #4,064 of 4,795
How does i4 pair with iDSD Signature? And do you EQ them?
I do use EQ or Reveal 100% of the time with the LCDi4. I didn't try the pairing with the iDSD Signature very long but it sounded fine. Overall the iDSD is a more balanced sound than prior generations. I use the LCDi4 mostly with my new M11 Plus LTD and Wavelet system wide EQ app.

Nov 22, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #4,065 of 4,795
Former sIne 20 owner and finally got the i4, I’m picking it up today! Using primarily iPhone and Mac as primary audio source, would the Cobalt be a good portable DAC pairing? And how is the Bluetooth Cipher cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back