Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jun 18, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #3,571 of 4,796
Once again, if you want to get the absolute best out of the i4, be sure to use a balanced cable on a strong tube amp. It's unbelievable what else is possible. There he plays far beyond his price range and easily takes on the best and most expensive overear!

I now only use it balanced on the iCan in tube mode. It is always an absolute fascination to hear him again! It's downright addictive!

By the way, the i3 has new, strongly angled earhooks. Luckily enough that it was also enough for the i4. The fit is much better and no longer pushes the shells at an angle so that the canal is correctly aligned. Much better. It is also worth trying longer with the pads. For example, I have Medium on the left and Large on the right. That's quite possible. In any case, it sits very comfortably, nothing pinches and just the right shape and sound perfectly. It takes time, but it's worth it.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #3,572 of 4,796
I recently moved from the HD650s to the Hifiman Anandas. I enjoyed the tonality of the HD650 but found the intimate soundstage of the 650s to be somewhat claustrophobic, especially when the music got busy. Switching to the Anandas was quite the experience; it finally felt like my music had some room to breathe. I'm interesting in switching to IEMs for primarily the comfort, and I think the i4s are the best way forward, but I'd be somewhat disappointed, perhaps unreasonably so given their form factor, if the soundstage was similar in size to that of the 650s.

Could anyone provide comparisons of the i4's soundstage to that of over ear headphones? Is the soundstage and presentation one that is more width focused or forward sounding, if that makes any sense?

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #3,573 of 4,796
I recently moved from the HD650s to the Hifiman Anandas. I enjoyed the tonality of the HD650 but found the intimate soundstage of the 650s to be somewhat claustrophobic, especially when the music got busy. Switching to the Anandas was quite the experience; it finally felt like my music had some room to breathe. I'm interesting in switching to IEMs for primarily the comfort, and I think the i4s are the best way forward, but I'd be somewhat disappointed, perhaps unreasonably so given their form factor, if the soundstage was similar in size to that of the 650s.

Could anyone provide comparisons of the i4's soundstage to that of over ear headphones? Is the soundstage and presentation one that is more width focused or forward sounding, if that makes any sense?

This is not so easy to describe. Read this test report, also has comparisons to large overear.

I like the stage, openness and everything extremely well. But I'm not so good at describing it precisely.

https://www.headfonia.com/audeze-lcd-i4-review/

Jun 18, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #3,575 of 4,796
I used the M11 with the LCD-i4. I found the sound to be better with the Cipher Cable. I used the M11 with the Cipher Cable and a USB C to Lightning adapter until it was broken by a recent M11 firmware update.

Jun 19, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #3,578 of 4,796
Once again, if you want to get the absolute best out of the i4, be sure to use a balanced cable on a strong tube amp. It's unbelievable what else is possible. There he plays far beyond his price range and easily takes on the best and most expensive overear!

I now only use it balanced on the iCan in tube mode. It is always an absolute fascination to hear him again! It's downright addictive!

By the way, the i3 has new, strongly angled earhooks. Luckily enough that it was also enough for the i4. The fit is much better and no longer pushes the shells at an angle so that the canal is correctly aligned. Much better. It is also worth trying longer with the pads. For example, I have Medium on the left and Large on the right. That's quite possible. In any case, it sits very comfortably, nothing pinches and just the right shape and sound perfectly. It takes time, but it's worth it.
I agree with a caveat---I think that my Ibasso 220 with the modded balanced amp 8 drives the i4's nicely. I first listened to the i4's through the cipher. I thought that while the bass extended deeper than the i3 that the i3 was more focused. I then tried the i4 with the 220. Wow! the bass was great!. Turns out that the Cipher is fine for casual listening with the i4, but it doesn't have near enough power for good low end control and power. The i3 must be more efficient because the Cipher plays louder and with better low end definition with the i3.
I'm a bass player, I also design and build high end speakers cabs for bassists. I feel that I know proper low end. Most people like what I think is overblown low end. When there isn't enough power, the low end can be loud, but suffer from bloat and poor definition.
If you want sufficient power and low end control--the Cipher won't do it.

Jun 23, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #3,579 of 4,796
Hello someone is using the Fiio M11 or M15 with the Audeze LCDi4 and is that recommended? does that fit together?
thanks
Rolf

I use i4 with M15 but use the UAPP player since it has PEQ while Fiio player does not. UAPP can get nearly identical results as the Reveal plugin so the sound is great. M15 has plenty of power and I am still in low gain mode.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #3,581 of 4,796
I use i4 with M15 but use the UAPP player since it has PEQ while Fiio player does not. UAPP can get nearly identical results as the Reveal plugin so the sound is great. M15 has plenty of power and I am still in low gain mode.
Can you shared your UAPP settings?

I also have an M15

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #3,582 of 4,796
Can you shared your UAPP settings?

I also have an M15

Here is what I use:

Low Shelf - 100 Hz, 2.5 dB, 0.85 Q
Analog Bell - 1000 Hz, -1.8 dB, 0.4 Q
Analog Bell - 2895 Hz, 6.0 dB, 2.0 Q
Analog Bell - 10000 Hz, -4.0 dB, 5.0 Q

This gives me what I hear at 80% wet on the plugin. If you want more, just increase the dB in the respective direction (e.g. more + or more -). If you want dryer, then flatten the filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back