Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Mar 1, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #3,271 of 4,796
So, I decided that I really would like to have IEM for audiophile quality on the go, e.g. while traveling in the evening in the hotel, or if possible in nature while hiking. For noisy NYC, I do have a pair of Sony WF-1000MX3. While doing my research, I got very interested in the LCD-i4. However, prices are not cheap at all, I contacted some traders and best price would be 1699,- for B-Stock (or the usual 2499,- normal). Given that the Black Fridal sale offered the same product for 999,-, I do not feel any wish to buy. Does anybody share this feeling? I know that prices fluctuate, of course, but offering a highly priced product at 60% discount does not help with sales in the time after.
I tend to agree. However it’s important to remember that the bstock sales only happen once a year and the supply is very limited. I had it in my cart, waited an hour, and missed out.

Mar 1, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #3,272 of 4,796
I tend to agree. However it’s important to remember that the bstock sales only happen once a year and the supply is very limited. I had it in my cart, waited an hour, and missed out.

I would not mind missing a sale which offered 10% or 15% less .... that’s life. But if a sale goes that low by the manufacturer, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Too bad, really would have liked them but I will not spend 1699.- after knowing this.

Mar 1, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #3,273 of 4,796
Yikes - sorry to hear. I must say your patience is FAR greater than mine, I would have said good-byte to any company after pair two...
How would you compare the LCD-i4 in comparison to the Sony IR-Z1R??? Thank you.
Well I really like them both, obviously! LCDi4 has the upper hand for me because the soundstage is bigger, can’t really give a detailed description of every single characteristic since I don’t have a fancy dac/amp to squeezes the best out of these monsters and only run them with the cipher cable or a portable amp. Unfortunately the use cases are limited to only quiet environments (hotel room, office) because they don’t isolate at all. The Z1R are my go to IEMs (I use them more than my legend X) they isolate very well, love their soundstage for a close back IEM and the bass is one of the best I’ve heard. It’s all about that BASS! I boost it a little bit with my portable amp and the results to my taste are superb!

Mar 1, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #3,274 of 4,796
Well I really like them both, obviously! LCDi4 has the upper hand for me because the soundstage is bigger, can’t really give a detailed description of every single characteristic since I don’t have a fancy dac/amp to squeezes the best out of these monsters and only run them with the cipher cable or a portable amp. Unfortunately the use cases are limited to only quiet environments (hotel room, office) because they don’t isolate at all. The Z1R are my go to IEMs (I use them more than my legend X) they isolate very well, love their soundstage for a close back IEM and the bass is one of the best I’ve heard. It’s all about that BASS! I boost it a little bit with my portable amp and the results to my taste are superb!
I've stated on this forum a few times. Monoprice Monolith portable DAC/AMP is a GREAT portable pairing for i4. 3 band parametric eq plus high shelf and low shelf. Makes the cipher sound BASIC. It can also be used as and amp for a different Portable DAC. Under $300 to add portable greatness to i4

Mar 7, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #3,275 of 4,796
Only for about a year have I returned to the passion of portable HI-FI. Given that I am 60 years old and that my hearing is no longer what it once was, yesterday I was caught by a raptus (also thanks to an interesting price) and I ordered the LCD-I4 in England.
It should have been new but in stock for some time. So I don't know what accessories it comes with and I will certainly be here again to write about the impressions and ask for suggestions.
Meanwhile, I try to read this 3d from the beginning (or almost).
(sorry my english, help me with google translator)

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #3,276 of 4,796
I've had the LCDi4 for almost 2 months now, and what's really strange for me is the lighting cable to the iPhone sounds so much better (wider sound stage, deeper bass, and more air and dynamic) than the BT cable, and also so much better than regular cable with the EQ applied. It seems like the cypher lighting cable isn't just EQ then? Do people have similar experience with EQ vs the lighting cable?

Also, I chucked a little when seeing LCDi4 being ranked as B here https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #3,277 of 4,796
I've had the LCDi4 for almost 2 months now, and what's really strange for me is the lighting cable to the iPhone sounds so much better (wider sound stage, deeper bass, and more air and dynamic) than the BT cable, and also so much better than regular cable with the EQ applied. It seems like the cypher lighting cable isn't just EQ then? Do people have similar experience with EQ vs the lighting cable?

Also, I chucked a little when seeing LCDi4 being ranked as B here https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/
Depends on what DAC you are using when you eq. I have lightning cable, and 3.5mm cable plugged into Monolith portable DAC/amp. The 3bamd parametric eq +low shelf eq on the Monolith, with the THX amp stage SMOKES the lightning cable. Such a sweet portable DAC for this headphone, and if you aren't a fan of the AK4493, you can use it as solely an amp. Plays great connected to Fiio BTR5. Point is, there are plenty of ways to go above and beyond the ability of the lightning cable

Mar 8, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #3,278 of 4,796

I heard that it also does DSP.

Mar 8, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #3,279 of 4,796

the EQ has to mimic the target curve. I believe Kmann posted it quite awhile ago in this thread. Otherwise it will not sound as good as cipher.

Mar 8, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #3,280 of 4,796

He had them ranked as s= but removed it when he review the i3( you can look it up and read it) basically he said the b rank is without eq but when he review the i3 he found they changed the DSP so he withdrew the rank. Not sure what's actually going on.

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #3,281 of 4,796
Depends on what DAC you are using when you eq. I have lightning cable, and 3.5mm cable plugged into Monolith portable DAC/amp. The 3bamd parametric eq +low shelf eq on the Monolith, with the THX amp stage SMOKES the lightning cable. Such a sweet portable DAC for this headphone, and if you aren't a fan of the AK4493, you can use it as solely an amp. Plays great connected to Fiio BTR5. Point is, there are plenty of ways to go above and beyond the ability of the lightning cable

Oh wow, I did some research, the Audeze Reveal + Spotify + menuBus (work on macOS 10.15 Catalina surprisingly) worked really well with Mojo!!

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 1.38.55 AM.png

Mar 9, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #3,283 of 4,796
Audirvana does support VST plugins, so you can run Reveal. Using Reveal inside music player apps like JRiver and Audirvana was never a challenge from the beginning. But there are only a couple of ways to use it system wide on Mac OS. The app that @donkeywalker shared, MenuBus is one of those very few ways.

Mar 13, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #3,284 of 4,796
Does anyone have a link for the LCDi4 specific cipher Bluetooth cable?

Mar 13, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #3,285 of 4,796

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back