Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Mar 11, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #2,596 of 4,802
It is tricky, because everyone's ears are different and we hear different things. For me, I thought there was a–huge–difference between the spinfits and groovys. You should skim the thread a bit to get a bead on different tips choices and then experiment.

The three key factors, to my mind, are 1) seal, 2) placement, and 3)angle.

1) Seal: You want a good seal but, unlike normal IEMS, not completely closed off. I found a shallow insertion best, which, like you, meant using larger than usual tips. If you are getting "thunderous" bass but "recessed" highs, you might try pulling back slightly on insertion depth.
2) Placement: Again, more like circumaural phones rather than normal IEMS, placement matters. My i4s are nestled in the intertragic notch, outside, below, and forward of the ear canal.
3) Angle: My nozzles are angled up and back which send a clear sound into my earcanal. If I don't get the angle right the sound is lovely and warm, but clarity and definition are not good.

I tried an array of tips (+sizes) and manually adjusted the positioning of the nozzles until I got my desired sound. Then I worked backward to figure out how to stably fix the i4s in that position. I used a hair dryer and heat gun to carefully soften up the ear "hangers" and bend them.This was the only way for me to get the nozzles to fire at the right angle. I added foam from symbio mandarins into the groovy tips to get the balance between seal and articulate sound. I also lengthened the tips for greater maneuverability by adding a small length of rubber tubing which I sewed onto tips with kevlar thread. Finally, various silicone inserts on the ear "hangars" keep the whole mess in place.

I don't know, for me, this, along with DSP, brought the i4s competitive to some top tier phones.

Do you use LCDi4 with the concha rings? Would that improve the out of the head imaging more? thanks.

Paul

Mar 11, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #2,597 of 4,802
Hi Paul,

I use the earhooks. Like yourself, I pursue out-of-head imaging too. That’s why I seal the phones in the intertragic notch and not the canal. The further out you can get the nozzles, while still maintaining a seal, the larger your soundstage. I do believe that earhooks are the best way to do that.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #2,598 of 4,802
Hi Paul,

I use the earhooks. Like yourself, I pursue out-of-head imaging too. That’s why I seal the phones in the intertragic notch and not the canal. The further out you can get the nozzles, while still maintaining a seal, the larger your soundstage. I do believe that earhooks are the best way to do that.

Thanks. Awaiting my LCDi4’s arrival this week. Funny thing, Audeze shipped me the concha rings ahead of time.

Paul

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #2,599 of 4,802
Deleted

Attachments

• 88A338D7-6203-4D14-96AF-6128B5A356A6.jpeg
    88A338D7-6203-4D14-96AF-6128B5A356A6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #2,601 of 4,802
My only gripes are the ear hangers/hooks and the case. For an MSRP of $2.5K, the small things should be refined. The case should be hard with inserts that fit the headphones WITH the hangers attached. If anyone has a "refined" third-party solution, please let me know!

I use a Pelican 1040 Case with the foam insert. You can see pics here: https://imgur.com/a/Kh79C1Q

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #2,603 of 4,802
I use a Pelican 1040 Case with the foam insert. You can see pics here: https://imgur.com/a/Kh79C1Q

newbie on the ES100 device. What does it add to the travel kit? Is it for the extra EQ functionality or does the amp section actually better than say, out of a player like Sony WM1Z? Thanks!

Paul

Mar 11, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #2,604 of 4,802
newbie on the ES100 device. What does it add to the travel kit? Is it for the extra EQ functionality or does the amp section actually better than say, out of a player like Sony WM1Z? Thanks!

Paul
I suspect the i4 to have lower sensitivity than the 100 db/mW spec. My Note 9 and V40 don't really have the power to run the i4 at the higher volume levels. The Note 9 starts to sound really wonky. The ES100 can drive the i4 to hearing-damaging levels. The EQ can be adjusted in 0.1 db increments and gives you a visual representation as to how the sliders affect the FR, so it's a lot easier to replicate Reveal/Cipher than using the stock Android EQ. It can be used as a wired DAC/amp but I don't find the need as it sounds fantastic via LDAC. And, BT is so, so convenient.

The WM1Z undoubtedly has better specs. The ES100 is more portable and offers BT convenience. It will probably be replaced in my travel kit by the Cipher BT whenever it gets released for the i4.

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #2,605 of 4,802
I suspect the i4 to have lower sensitivity than the 100 db/mW spec. My Note 9 and V40 don't really have the power to run the i4 at the higher volume levels. The Note 9 starts to sound really wonky. The ES100 can drive the i4 to hearing-damaging levels. The EQ can be adjusted in 0.1 db increments and gives you a visual representation as to how the sliders affect the FR, so it's a lot easier to replicate Reveal/Cipher than using the stock Android EQ. It can be used as a wired DAC/amp but I don't find the need as it sounds fantastic via LDAC. And, BT is so, so convenient.

The WM1Z undoubtedly has better specs. The ES100 is more portable and offers BT convenience. It will probably be replaced in my travel kit by the Cipher BT whenever it gets released for the i4.

Nice. Thanks for helping. For $100, seems like a value added item.

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #2,606 of 4,802
Mar 13, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #2,607 of 4,802
It is worth taking the time experimenting with i4 to get the fit right, because when you do reach that magic combination of variables, they will magically "click" and blow you away with just how good they CAN sound. Really. I almost put mine up for sale then reading this entire thread, tried some more experimenting and accidentally found it. The Right Way. For my ears, and it has been eargasmic ever since then. They give my 4z a run for the money. And that says a lot right there.

Mar 25, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #2,610 of 4,802
I use Neutron player, which has a PMEQ. Here are the settings I use:

1. High Shelf Filter, 120Hz, -3db, Q=0.8 (Wide Band)
2. Band Pass Filter, 1.5kHz, -6dB, Q=3 (Narrow Band)
3. Band Pass Filter, 2.7kHz, +8dB, Q=1.2 (Medium Band)
4. Band Pass Filter, 4.7kHz, +5db, Q=1.2 (Medium Band)
5. Band Pass Filter, 8kHz, -6dB, Q=3 (Narrow Band)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back