Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jan 10, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #2,521 of 4,796
Just read about the new Cypher Bluetooth module. Audeze's page and all the news around label it as a iSine accessory. What about the LCDi4? Obviously not ideal to use it with Bluetooth, still...can it be used with it? Is the DSP programmed to support it as well?
I read elsewhere that there was an i4 version in development. I'm guessing the power requirements will be different.

Jan 11, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #2,523 of 4,796
Just read about the new Cypher Bluetooth module. Audeze's page and all the news around label it as a iSine accessory. What about the LCDi4? Obviously not ideal to use it with Bluetooth, still...can it be used with it? Is the DSP programmed to support it as well?

Yes, since the 0.78 connectors to ear piece of Isines and LCDi4 are same, the wireless Cipher will work similarly on both.

But I look at it as emergency connection, in case wireless connection is really needed, letsl say spoken word podcasts, YouTube audio stream, msnbc Audi stream, in those cases wireless is just as good, and has advantage of not dragging the cable along.
For music from a good source, or in case LCDi4, great source, old fashioned cable connection is is a must. Wireless is compressed, no point to have state of the art components, and then compress it, or limit it voluntarily.

Jan 11, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #2,524 of 4,796
I received the Cipher BT yesterday for use with my iSine20. The DSP is perfect for it.

The Cipher BT turns the LCDi4 into a V-monster, while fixing the tone in the upper-mids/lower-treble. EDM and Hip-hop are a lot of fun. But the elevated bass and treble can be too much in other genres. It's not hard to EQ that down though.

If you absolutely need a BT solution for the i4 immediately, the Cipher BT will probably work well for you, but I'd wait until the i4 tuned version if you can.

Jan 12, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #2,525 of 4,796
upload_2019-1-12_22-56-5.png

Does this look correct...? I don't hear a difference when adjusting the values

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #2,526 of 4,796
I received the Cipher BT yesterday for use with my iSine20. The DSP is perfect for it.

The Cipher BT turns the LCDi4 into a V-monster, while fixing the tone in the upper-mids/lower-treble. EDM and Hip-hop are a lot of fun. But the elevated bass and treble can be too much in other genres. It's not hard to EQ that down though.

If you absolutely need a BT solution for the i4 immediately, the Cipher BT will probably work well for you, but I'd wait until the i4 tuned version if you can.

Yes! LCDi4 need EQ correction that Cipher does.

If not the new Wireless Cipher, use the old fashioned Audeze Cipher cable with LCDi4.

Audeze claimed from get go that LCDi4 do not need EQ correction, the very thing Cipher DSP does.
That was true then, it is not true now. Isine and LCDi4 BOTH need the same EQ correction. Why Audeze claimed LCDi4 do need Cipher DSP is purely marketing, they didn't wish LCDi4 to have "idevice only" reputation.

Just listen to LCDi4 with Cipher, and then listen them connected with regular cable (no EQ applied on source device) and it's clear, without a doubt, LCDi4 need similar DSP correction curve.

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #2,527 of 4,796

Does this look correct...? I don't hear a difference when adjusting the values
You have to open the config tab and add the Reveal plugin there. Press the green + button to add another vst box. Go through the steps there.

Jan 13, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,528 of 4,796

If not the new Wireless Cipher, use the old fashioned Audeze Cipher cable with LCDi4.

Audeze claimed from get go that LCDi4 do not need EQ correction, the very thing Cipher DSP does.
That was true then, it is not true now. Isine and LCDi4 BOTH need the same EQ correction. Why Audeze claimed LCDi4 do need Cipher DSP is purely marketing, they didn't wish LCDi4 to have "idevice only" reputation.

Just listen to LCDi4 with Cipher, and then listen them connected with regular cable (no EQ applied on source device) and it's clear, without a doubt, LCDi4 need similar DSP correction curve.
The LCDi4 sounds pretty good without Cipher or Reveal, but it sounds almost perfect with it. You could map out a GEQ based on the DSP and get really close. Cipher LCD BT will get you all the way.

Jan 13, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #2,529 of 4,796

NO! LCDi4 does NOT NEED ANDY EQ CORRECTION! Sounds perfectly awesome straight out of Hugo 2 and GLMk2. Really. It's clear, without a doubt.
Now if someone wants to EQ, fine, totally cool with that, but should stop proclaiming that the i4 NEEDS EQ to sound good. It needs no such thing. AT ALL.

Jan 13, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #2,530 of 4,796
agreed, no EQ needed

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #2,532 of 4,796
I did not say you can’t use EQ nor that some may prefer it, only that you do not need it

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #2,533 of 4,796
I did not say you can’t use EQ nor that some may prefer it, only that you do not need it

Right. I was just offering that "EQ needed" and "no EQ needed" is not exactly a binary choice as much as a spectrum. I went from a purist "no EQ" approach to using Reveal and the, pretty dramatic, EQ correction curves floating around here. In the end I thought both approaches had strengths so I settled on "no EQ" but with a little bit of a surgical dip, which I know is not really "no EQ." (again, w/ a grin).

Jan 13, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #2,535 of 4,796
Hmmm I'm getting this now

It looks like you selected the vst from the "Program Files" folder instead of the "Program Files (x86)" folder. The path should look something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back