Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Dec 14, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #2,491 of 4,802
Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Thank you.

Dec 14, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #2,492 of 4,802
I currently own the LCD4, LCDi4, and am listening to the MX4 as I type this. The LCD4 is a richer sound with even greater detail compared to the MX4. The MX4 is very flat response. Or I should say very neutral. Definitely different sound than the LCD4 or LCD3. More analytical. I use the MX4 with my portable rig. If you have ever heard and enjoy the LCD X you will like the MX4. It is a faster, cleaner, more detailed version. I just picked up a pair of LCD2 closed on the B-stock sail. Can't wait to hear them.

Dec 14, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #2,493 of 4,802
I currently own the LCD4, LCDi4, and am listening to the MX4 as I type this. The LCD4 is a richer sound with even greater detail compared to the MX4. The MX4 is very flat response. Or I should say very neutral. Definitely different sound than the LCD4 or LCD3. More analytical. I use the MX4 with my portable rig. If you have ever heard and enjoy the LCD X you will like the MX4. It is a faster, cleaner, more detailed version. I just picked up a pair of LCD2 closed on the B-stock sail. Can't wait to hear them.

How does the LCD-i4 sound in that whole spectrum? Closer to the LCD-4 in tuning?

Dec 14, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #2,494 of 4,802
I4’s have the detail of the 4’s but not the slam. They have great detail and bass just not the visceral impact. Still the best in ear I have ever heard.

Dec 17, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #2,495 of 4,802
Question: Is the Cipher V2 cable still for free for the registered (European) owners? I could not find anything on the Audeze website.

Cheers

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #2,496 of 4,802
FWIW The i4 is a sizable investment and I have had good success with custom ear molds. I will get them as opposed to the bit of rubber approach. What's another hundred or two on a $2500 device?

I received the custom ear molds from the audiologist on Monday. Ok, I look a little funny in the mirror, so what. They are very comfortable to wear and require no hooks. As with the Stax SR202, mid bass has been largely restored, even some low bass. The midrange has some real character - space separation and a new level of resolution that I was not expecting. Highs have come into balance with the rest of the spectrum as well. Some slam has been restored at the low end, suggesting visceral impact, not as good as my LCDXC but not at all bad.

The goodies are all there, very evident on the Centrance HiFi M8. It’s just now they sound like $2500 headphone to me. I prefer that “in your face sound” and this set delivers the goods. Better than the massdrop hd650 or the Stax SR404 signature. It is great to have a portable travel rig to take places. Who knew that Tidal on a galaxy s8 using an amp would perform at such a satisfactory level. I’m using USB audio player pro. No, this is not for use on an airplane, but on a quieter commuter bus; certainly in a hotel room with the TV off (or on a balcony at 4 am in Hawaii). They do command your attention. Be sure you give your ears a chance to warm up too.

(Linda Ronstant, Canciones de mi Padre)
Peter

Dec 20, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #2,497 of 4,802
Can you post a picture of how the custom ear molds look? I am having a hard time envisioning how they look such that no ear hooks would be necessary. The current Spinfit tips I have on mine are imparting a sound signature identical to that which you describe. Which was a direct result of discovering how to get the ear pieces aimed into the ear canals correctly. BUT it would be sweet to not have to use those ear hooks at all.

Dec 20, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #2,498 of 4,802
I received the custom ear molds from the audiologist on Monday. Ok, I look a little funny in the mirror, so what. They are very comfortable to wear and require no hooks. As with the Stax SR202, mid bass has been largely restored, even some low bass. The midrange has some real character - space separation and a new level of resolution that I was not expecting. Highs have come into balance with the rest of the spectrum as well. Some slam has been restored at the low end, suggesting visceral impact, not as good as my LCDXC but not at all bad.

The goodies are all there, very evident on the Centrance HiFi M8. It’s just now they sound like $2500 headphone to me. I prefer that “in your face sound” and this set delivers the goods. Better than the massdrop hd650 or the Stax SR404 signature. It is great to have a portable travel rig to take places. Who knew that Tidal on a galaxy s8 using an amp would perform at such a satisfactory level. I’m using USB audio player pro. No, this is not for use on an airplane, but on a quieter commuter bus; certainly in a hotel room with the TV off (or on a balcony at 4 am in Hawaii). They do command your attention. Be sure you give your ears a chance to warm up too.

Peter
I am interested in your custom ear mold. What brand do you use? Did you send your LCD i4 to this company to get them fitted with your custom ear mold? Would you mind to share those pictures?
I apprecite your help. Cheers

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #2,499 of 4,802
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has compared the Audeze LCDi4 to the MrSpeakers Ether 2. I already have the iSine 20s, and have read here that the i4s are a massive upgrade, but I was wondering how they would compare to MrSpeakers new TOTL full size planars.

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #2,500 of 4,802

Peter
I'm curious if Audeze intended the i4s to be used with a custom mold, ie, were they designed to be just over your ears instead of going into your ears? I have tried tips that insert deep into my ears and I found the sound to be quite poor.

Dec 23, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #2,501 of 4,802
I'm curious if Audeze intended the i4s to be used with a custom mold, ie, were they designed to be just over your ears instead of going into your ears? I have tried tips that insert deep into my ears and I found the sound to be quite poor.

My experience is the opposite. The Spinfit small tips go deeper in my ears, which improves the bass and the overall sound.

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #2,502 of 4,802
My experience is the opposite. The Spinfit small tips go deeper in my ears, which improves the bass and the overall sound.

There is a false rumour on this thread that simply won’t go away, that the tips are not supposed to seal with the ear canal. If you run a frequency sweep from 20hz while wearing these you will very easily notice that the lower frequencies are completely missing unless you actually get a proper seal. Perhaps people like the sound for other frequencies this way but it is a myth that these iems are supposed to, by design, sit on the surface of the canal without a seal

Dec 23, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #2,503 of 4,802
There is a false rumour on this thread that simply won’t go away, that the tips are not supposed to seal with the ear canal. If you run a frequency sweep from 20hz while wearing these you will very easily notice that the lower frequencies are completely missing unless you actually get a proper seal. Perhaps people like the sound for other frequencies this way but it is a myth that these iems are supposed to, by design, sit on the surface of the canal without a seal

I physically can’t fit the bores in to my ear canal, even with no tip attached. I use the large ribbed tips provided and they produce a seal without inserting in to my ear canal. So yes, they don’t require insertion, but do require a seal. The bass is very good for me. Everyone’s anatomy is different.

Dec 23, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #2,504 of 4,802
I physically can’t fit the bores in to my ear canal, even with no tip attached. I use the large ribbed tips provided and they produce a seal without inserting in to my ear canal. So yes, they don’t require insertion, but do require a seal. The bass is very good for me. Everyone’s anatomy is different.

And a number of people even require a different tip size for each ear! Anyway we are in agreement that a seal is required. The only issue I find with the ribbed tips is that they irritate my ears after a while.

Dec 23, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #2,505 of 4,802
And a number of people even require a different tip size for each ear! Anyway we are in agreement that a seal is required. The only issue I find with the ribbed tips is that they irritate my ears after a while.

I think you used the key words, “proper seal.” With the i4’s you can’t just aim for a good (complete) seal by a deep insertion. The “myth” persists because many people find that the wrong kind of seal produces a bloated and muffled sound. You have to experiment to find the seal for your particular ears that clearly renders the full frequency range top to bottom. My ear tips rest completely outside of the canal and the seal comes from the intertragic notch. Even with this I have to be careful not to gain the seal from the tragus but the bottom of the notch. For me, this produces deep, well textured bass and extended highs and everything in between. Also, soundstage and imaging is spot on.

I found getting the right positioning and seal so important I invested a lot of time and effort in it. My ear tips are a Frankenstein creation of the large groovys, memory foam, extra silicone, and Kevlar thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back