Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Sep 8, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #841 of 4,795
Nice review! Coincidentally I bought the ISINE 20's after reading your review a few months ago which ultimately led me to the i4's. Other than while working out (while wearing the 20's) I rarely listen to metal any more but love reading gear reviews from different perspectives/genres.

Keep it up!

Sep 10, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #843 of 4,795
Nice review! Coincidentally I bought the ISINE 20's after reading your review a few months ago which ultimately led me to the i4's. Other than while working out (while wearing the 20's) I rarely listen to metal any more but love reading gear reviews from different perspectives/genres.

Keep it up!
Thanks a million!

Sep 10, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #845 of 4,795
So how is it compared to Layla II?
Apples and oranges. The i4's share the same in ear form factor but they compare more to an open back headphone than anything else. I still use TOTL IEM's when I need isolation and the i4's in quiet environments. Since they take EQ so well I look at them as a blank canvas for any signature you want. That said, they are defined by their openess and an amazing level of detail retrieval. I don't see them as a replacement for traditional over the ears either. They have created a new category and set the bar very high. Worth every penny.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #846 of 4,795
Yay, enjoying my i4's since last night.
Sounding surprisingly good out of my sony wm1a single ended output.
Now looking to purchase a cable for the balanced output, which i assume will sound much better given the extra output.
I have a Hugo 2 on order, so that should also bring it up an additional notch (or, hopefully, two).

Thus far, no regrets with my purchase and look forward to years of enjoyment both at home and on the go.
Also, want to compliment both Music Direct as well as Audeze for their kind and professional demeanor with helping me through the process of questions, purchase and support.

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #847 of 4,795
A lot of mention of totl dac/amps driving this (Hugo 2).

Would I be 'slumming it', and doing this and injustice, if I plan to drive this with a Mojo, or M9XX?

...When on the go, that is. I have a NAD M51 driving a McIntosh MHA-100 or Woo WA-22 at my primary listening position. Those are all pretty clean and powerful.

Sep 10, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #848 of 4,795

Would I be 'slumming it', and doing this and injustice, if I plan to drive this with a Mojo, or M9XX?

...When on the go, that is. I have a NAD M51 driving a McIntosh MHA-100 or Woo WA-22 at my primary listening position. Those are all pretty clean and powerful.

The i4 and e mojo have a great synergy, you won’t be disappointed.

I don’t have direct experience with the other dac/amps you mentioned, but if they can drive a full size headphone they’ll be good to go with the i4.

You’ll be surprise how much you can push the i4 without distortions.

Sep 10, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #849 of 4,795

Absolutely not. The i4's are able to showcase the Hugo's abilities but the Mojo is no slouch and pairs very well with the i4's with plenty of power.

Sep 10, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #850 of 4,795

Like the 2 gents here above I also like LCD i4 + Mojo pairing.. Mojo has plenty of power, and it drives them well.. do they sound better with Hugo 2? IMHO yes they do.. and this is why I'm gonna get one.. :)

Mind Mojo is a bit darker than H2, so if you like darker sound.. it might actually suit you better than H2 (which I feel is slightly brighter and more resolving).

Sep 10, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #852 of 4,795
Like the 2 gents here above I also like LCD i4 + Mojo pairing.. Mojo has plenty of power, and it drives them well.. do they sound better with Hugo 2? IMHO yes they do.. and this is why I'm gonna get one.. :)

Mind Mojo is a bit darker than H2, so if you like darker sound.. it might actually suit you better than H2 (which I feel is slightly brighter and more resolving).

How about that. I am capable of some critical listening after all. Because that is the -exact- same observation I had at CanJam NYC this year, when I was going back and forth between Mojo and Hugo 2 using my MrSpeakers Ether Flow C. There was more 'meat' to the music thru the Mojo to me. So I bought one right there on a show special.

Thanks to everyone that replied. Much appreciated.

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #853 of 4,795
Anyone know how to get replacement ear hook. I use the smaller ones and one of them just broke while putting it on. I like them better than the ear hooks.

https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/ear-groovy-kit
Don't ask me why Audeze only sells these bundled with groovy tips, but well... :) Or did you mean ear locks? Because you're telling you're looking for ear hooks because you like them better than ear hooks. :)
They are now selling the braided cable as well, at 399$, ouch! And still no balanced version.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #854 of 4,795
https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/ear-groovy-kit
Don't ask me why Audeze only sells these bundled with groovy tips, but well... :) Or did you mean ear locks? Because you're telling you're looking for ear hooks because you like them better than ear hooks. :)
They are now selling the braided cable as well, at 399$, ouch! And still no balanced version.

Thanks. Seems that is the large hooks. I will call and ask if I can get the smaller ones. Or maybe just make do with the large ones I still have.

Sep 11, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #855 of 4,795
Could someone comment on how these perform when there is ambient noise, for example, listening while commuting in trains or subway? I heard that the sound does not bleed too much to bother other people around you, and some people even like the fact that you can hear what is going on around you while listening to your music, etc. These are good points, but does the sound quality, or enjoyment, hold up against ambient noise, trains or subway in particular? In other words, when would you decide not to listen to these and reach for your conventional, isolating iems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back