Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Oct 19, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #1,126 of 4,795
dull sounding?No way...through my Hugo2 they sound wonderful...

I listened to this combo last night and I just kept thinking: "this sounds as epic as any full sized TOTL desktop rig"...it really is all you need. :)

Oct 20, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #1,128 of 4,795
I have to say the i4 is not the most comfortable iems especially if you use the ear-hooks, after a couple of hours they start bothering me.
Since you liked the 846, may I suggest the KSE1500?
Otherwise if you want a planar than you should consider the UM Me.1m, even if they are a step below the i4, comfort wise they are one of the best iem I tried.

I have the iSine 20 and use earhooks (the same as the ones on the i4s) which I too found uncomfortable after a short time. Dave Hutch in the iSine 10/20 thread did some experimentation and came up with 2 great solutions IMO, both of which I tried, both of which improved things, the second version making the earhooks comfortable for me). First he found some silicon rubber tubing (5mm OD, 3mm ID) at Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AUQ44FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which he slipped over the earhooks (you probably need to apply a drop of oil to the earhooks, I used 3in1) and trimmed. Later he discovered Neoprene tubing at a modelling shop (again 5mm OD, 3mm ID) http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14612 which was slightly more difficult to get on but it just makes a world of difference. It also looks cool (and who doesn’t want to look cool wearing tiny steampunk inspired earmuffs on your ears?). Here’s Dave’s post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...netic-earphones.818870/page-241#post-13733815

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #1,129 of 4,795
I have the iSine 20 and use earhooks (the same as the ones on the i4s) which I too found uncomfortable after a short time. Dave Hutch in the iSine 10/20 thread did some experimentation and came up with 2 great solutions IMO, both of which I tried, both of which improved things, the second version making the earhooks comfortable for me). First he found some silicon rubber tubing (5mm OD, 3mm ID) at Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AUQ44FU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which he slipped over the earhooks (you probably need to apply a drop of oil to the earhooks, I used 3in1) and trimmed. Later he discovered Neoprene tubing at a modelling shop (again 5mm OD, 3mm ID) http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=14612 which was slightly more difficult to get on but it just makes a world of difference. It also looks cool (and who doesn’t want to look cool wearing tiny steampunk inspired earmuffs on your ears?). Here’s Dave’s post https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...netic-earphones.818870/page-241#post-13733815

Thanks,
I'll try his suggestions

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #1,133 of 4,795
My iSine 20 came with 2 pairs of very plasticky ear hooks, one clear and one black and not so comfortable
The LCD i4 also came with 2 pairs of ear hooks, both black, but the material is more rubbery and more comfortable

I love the ear hooks no issues at all with comfort. I broke one of mine and Audeze sent me the cheapo replacements that come with iSine10/20. However since receiving replacement LCDi4 I am back to the nicer ear hooks. The cheap ones are not as comfortable but still not an issue. The ear locks do hurt me though. Different ears obviously.

Oct 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #1,134 of 4,795
I love the ear hooks no issues at all with comfort. I broke one of mine and Audeze sent me the cheapo replacements that come with iSine10/20. However since receiving replacement LCDi4 I am back to the nicer ear hooks. The cheap ones are not as comfortable but still not an issue. The ear locks do hurt me though. Different ears obviously.

Audeze should step up and offer more/better replacement choices for the sine and i4 models.

Oct 20, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #1,135 of 4,795
How do you like the i4 with the Comply?

I personally don’t like the sound of the combination, IMHO the bass looses texture and becomes slightly too thick.
But maybe I should give it another try!?

This is one of the big issues with IEMs vs Headphones. The shape of your ear has much less bearing on the sound perceived with a full size headphone. Put an LCD-4 on 10 peoples heads and you will likely get very similar review from all of them. But with IEMs, the way a tip interacts with the output nozzle of the IEM and the way it squashes into the ear RADICALLY affects the sound. 10 people will have potentially very different reviews. In particular though Comply tips can dampen treble. This can be perceived as dull, bass heavy, lacking detail. But others love them. Typically a tip that doesn't seal will have a profound affect on bass depth and presence. I read on the iSine threads and this one that a seal isn't critical. I don't find this to be true! Bass extension improves for me with a good seal. A way to see this is to, not have a good seal, and then while that same music track is playing, press the LCDi4 further into your ear....bass presence, level and extension increases.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #1,136 of 4,795
Any comparisons to the Zeus ?

Everything I wrote in the i4 vs Fourte & U18 comparison applies to i4 vs Zeus as well.

If I were to answer your questions simply, i4 with EQ sounds considerably better than the Zeus with or without EQ. Zeus's sound presentation is still confined by the laws of the IEM design. i4 sounds open, large and effortless. Zeus has a beautiful mid-range among the IEMs. But next to the i4, it sounds like the sound is coming from a tube. i4 sound very natural and effortless. Because Zeus isolates well, the perceived treble detail and resolution is higher in an average environment. But i4 is actually a touch more resolving and requires a silent environment for you to hear those low-key details. Zeus' weakness is its bass. The bass is very technical, but has the typical BA type one dimensional bass that lacks power, dynamism and fluidity. i4 matches the technicality and yet has dynamism and power in accordance to its Planar driver that is also larger in size.

Zeus ,especially the XIV tuning, is a top contender in the IEM realm. It has a nice tonality & tuning combined with top class technicalities for an IEM. Without a doubt, a top class IEM and one of my favorites. But if you were to consider just on the Sound Quality and presentation aspects, i4 is clearly better because of its design. To get the best out of the i4, a silent environment, a bit of power and EQ is advisable. So it is really best used at office, home, hotel room or a silent coffee shop. If you were looking for something to use on-the-go, Zeus would be the better option.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #1,137 of 4,795
All these talks of having a separate amp to power the i4's, how will the Bottlehead Mainline fair with these?

Also, how big are the nozzles? I absolutely love Comply tips and would love to fit the P-series over these.

Oct 20, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #1,138 of 4,795
@EagleWings Can you share the Pmeq settings for Lcd i4. I would like to compare no eq vs your eq. Thanks

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #1,139 of 4,795
@EagleWings Can you share the Pmeq settings for Lcd i4. I would like to compare no eq vs your eq. Thanks

If you use a desktop software or a Neutron Player on Android that have fully featured PMEQ, try this:

Filter = Band Pass, Freq = 60Hz, Q = 1, Gain = +3dB
Filter = Band Pass, Freq = 1,600Hz, Q = 3, Gain = -3dB
Filter = Band Pass, Freq = 2,800Hz, Q = 1.5, Gain = +6dB
Filter = Band Pass, Freq = 5,500Hz, Q = 0.8, Gain = +3dB
Filter = Band Pass, Freq = 10,300Hz, Q = 2, Gain = -6dB
Filter = Band Pass, Freq = 16,000Hz, Q = 1, Gain = -4dB

If you have a Lotoo Paw Gold you cannot adjust Q greater than 1, so here is what I use:

Filter = Band Pass, Freq = 60Hz, Q = 1, Gain = +3dB
Filter = Band Pass, Freq = 2,800Hz, Q = 1, Gain = +5dB
Filter = Band Pass, Freq = 5,500Hz, Q = 1, Gain = +3dB
Filter = Band Pass, Freq = 10,300Hz, Q = 1, Gain = -6dB
Filter = Band Pass, Freq = 16,000Hz, Q = 1, Gain = -4dB

As for the 10,300Hz filter, try to adjust the Frequency from 10,000Hz to 10,700Hz until you don't hear the treble peak. If you are tolerant to treble, this peak shouldn't bother you.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #1,140 of 4,795
I like that it is totally un-necessary to have to use EQ with LCDi4. Maybe it does raise the SQ with it to unimaginable heights. Don't care as it is a pain to have to do that.

If headphones MUST use EQ to straighten out their presentation, then I will not own them. I tried the iSine20 and they just didn't sound right. Supposedly needs EQ to make them right. I returned them and got i4. No need for EQ and no more problems. Just beautiful sound straight out of the box no intervention needed or desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back