Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Sep 15, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #886 of 4,795
Do these require any burn-in, because if their sq doesn't improve soon, they are going right back.
They sound under-driven with my mojo, hugo-2, and ak380cu/amp... have not tried wa8. They sound wispy and distant with good portion of the mids dropped off. Treble is not resolving at all, annoying. The bass is not impressive at all. (I am starting to think I have a pair of knock offs.) Maybe my brain needs time to adjust.
They sound okay with yggy/rag combo at high gain... currently being blasted, hoping the sound will open up. Not nearly as good as ether flows, which are cheaper than these.
I very much would like to like these a lot like some of the reviewers and other owners. Any helpful insight would be appreciated.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #887 of 4,795
I had this issue as well, and found out later as normie610 stated earlier, is due to improper grounding from one of the sources from the audio chain. I've been told this is because of the heightened sensitivity level of the diaphragm in order to be as transparent as possible. I found my ultrawide monitor to be the actually only grounding source in my playback chain... take it out and I get the buzzing even w the Hugo 2 and ISO Regen/LPS-1 combo.

I assume you mean the subway and streets of Paris? If so, you must be pretty brave to wear the i4s in the Parisian metros. I wouldnt dream of wearing my i4s in any metro stop in Paris, nor in the streets of my somewhat diplomat segregated neighborhood. Add a sexy silver braided cable, and I'd get even less confident in my chances.

I'm cool w carrying the i4s w me almost anywhere in Asia though... in fact, I might even get chased down frantically and tapped on the shoulder if I accidentally dropped my i4s in Tokyo.

Courage, yes manly courage coupled with the contents of the mighty keg of the mighty Canadian spirits. A large flask in one hand and a falchion in my other meaty hand, it's blade glistening in the sunlight - blinding the powerful white polar who wants to investigate my shiny i4. As Pope of Canada to allow a beast of burden to enjoy man's creature comforts or excesses is strictly forbidden. There I stood. One man versus one beast... One armed with a massive broadsword and the other with mighty paws, claws and teeth. The beast desired the i4. Myself, I wanted the angel waiting for me in the toasty warm hut just over the blinding white snow ridge. The battle commenced. A chill and vibration filled my lungs as the beast charged. Eyes darted at my beer, then my sword. In a split second a decision was made. I whipped out my sawed off shotgun and blasted the white bastardo to wonderland.

Perhaps the battle was not fair. That is not for a Pope to judge. The i4 needs protection.

Canada's Rubber Pope

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #888 of 4,795
Courage, yes manly courage coupled with the contents of the mighty keg of the mighty Canadian spirits. A large flask in one hand and a falchion in my other meaty hand, it's blade glistening in the sunlight - blinding the powerful white polar who wants to investigate my shiny i4. As Pope of Canada to allow a beast of burden to enjoy man's creature comforts or excesses is strictly forbidden. There I stood. One man versus one beast... One armed with a massive broadsword and the other with mighty paws, claws and teeth. The beast desired the i4. Myself, I wanted the angel waiting for me in the toasty warm hut just over the blinding white snow ridge. The battle commenced. A chill and vibration filled my lungs as the beast charged. Eyes darted at my beer, then my sword. In a split second a decision was made. I whipped out my sawed off shotgun and blasted the white bastardo to wonderland.

Perhaps the battle was not fair. That is not for a Pope to judge. The i4 needs protection.

Canada's Rubber Pope

Oh brother, I miss you!!!

Sep 15, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #889 of 4,795
Do these require any burn-in, because if their sq doesn't improve soon, they are going right back.
They sound under-driven with my mojo, hugo-2, and ak380cu/amp... have not tried wa8. They sound wispy and distant with good portion of the mids dropped off. Treble is not resolving at all, annoying. The bass is not impressive at all. (I am starting to think I have a pair of knock offs.) Maybe my brain needs time to adjust.
They sound okay with yggy/rag combo at high gain... currently being blasted, hoping the sound will open up. Not nearly as good as ether flows, which are cheaper than these.
I very much would like to like these a lot like some of the reviewers and other owners. Any helpful insight would be appreciated.

It sounds to me like you may not have these seated quite right in your ears. I would trial out the different sizes of tips provided and play around with the insertion depth. I like the large groovy tips with a shallow insertion but ymmv. I find that the the Mojo has plenty of power to drive the i4s well (@KMann has said it was one of audeze’s test rigs when developing the i4s), the Hugo2 even more so. Although the open nature of the i4s provides a lot more soundstage and air than other iems (which I think most consider one of the draws of the i4s), I would never describe their sound as wispy or distant. The hugo2, which I just got a few days ago, I find an absolutely spectacular match for the i4s adding additional clarity, resolution, instrument separation, and authority in the bass beyond the Mojo.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #890 of 4,795

Canada's Rubber Pope

Where have you been?? :)

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #891 of 4,795
Oh wow, under-driven with Hugo 2?
Hugo2 + LCD-i4 is one of the best keep-it-simple setups I heard in a while.. I actually ordered the H2 only because I loved what it brings out of the i4. Maybe your pair is faulty.. I would suggest you somehow do check this out before returning them. But maybe they are just not for you..

Canada's Rubber Pope
Your Holiness, now that you're back I can finally thank you for prolonging my reading of this thread by several days.. thus bringing fear in the eyes (ears..) of my dealer enabling him to suggest a nice bundle discount on my SP1000 + LCD-i4 purchase.
True story. :)

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #892 of 4,795

Canada's Rubber Pope

I first thought I was reading an extract from The Witcher...

What a Trojan you are, as Canada's Rubber Pope, you sure know how to protect yourself... nice 'whipping' of the 'shotgun', blasting him 'white bastardo'. Bringing a gun to a knife fight as they say, nicely done.

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #893 of 4,795
I just tried the LCDi4 again today. This time with the same EQ presets I use with iSine20 and tried it on 3 DAPs I currently have (QP2R, DX200 Rockboxed iPod).

Just as expected the LCDi4 respond well as the iSine20. Switching back and forth between the 2 I finally able to discern what makes LCDi4 special. It is obvious to me the i4 is at least a step better than iSine20 in every category. (Detail, timbre, soundstage, clarity, etc).

Without EQ the LCDi4 somewhat share a similar FR curve with iSine20. Though not as severe as the 20. By turning on the EQ then off while the music is playing tells me there is still a hump between 1 - 2 khz and a valley in the 3 - 6 khz region which is what contributes mostly to the weird sounding impression I had before.

Sep 16, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #894 of 4,795
What @pinciukas said. Effect Audio is very fast compared to other companies I have seen, my Ares II took something like 2 weeks, including shipping from Singapore to the UK. However, their 'Heritage' cables are made of very scarce materials and that might change their regular turn-around times. Eric from Effect Audio is a member here and a great guy to talk to if you want to know more, you can send him a PM, @EffectAudio, for a quick response.

Just as an extra bit of information, Effect Audio is about to release their new flagship 'Horus'. Very expensive, but from what I have heard also very special. (I freely admit to have become slightly hooked on cables. :D )

As asidenote, preorder for the new Horus is now up, cheap it isn't for sure. Wondering about how flexible this is supposed to be for an IEM, and ofc how it sounds!

Sep 16, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #895 of 4,795
Sep 16, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #896 of 4,795
Where have you been?? :)

To quote the late great Johnny Appleseed, "If a Rotten Apple falls in a forest, will a wild boar eat it?" Verily after cracking many a mirror, it has been verified that not a chunk of this Pope has been chomped into. There may be minor damage here and there, however none that has been sustained by wild boar, bear or moose. On the loose has this Papal been, climbing glaciers as if stepping stones, skydiving with the assistance of bald eagles holding me with their mighty talons and rescuing baby seals by clubbing the clubbers. Just another modest few months away from Head-Fi.

Fortunately I have had my trusty Audeze i4 to steady my nerves, soothe my soul with soul and authenticate my life with perfect pitch and harmony. Glory be to all sayeth the Pope! Have I missed my fellow Comrades at this thread at this site? Of course! I see many have joined anew with mystery and wonder who have not yet tasted the words of honey that flow from the Canadian wilderness. May that change slowly and warmly envelope them in the weeks and months to come...

Pope Rotten

Sep 16, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #897 of 4,795
To quote the late great Johnny Appleseed, "If a Rotten Apple falls in a forest, will a wild boar eat it?" Verily after cracking many a mirror, it has been verified that not a chunk of this Pope has been chomped into. There may be minor damage here and there, however none that has been sustained by wild boar, bear or moose. On the loose has this Papal been, climbing glaciers as if stepping stones, skydiving with the assistance of bald eagles holding me with their mighty talons and rescuing baby seals by clubbing the clubbers. Just another modest few months away from Head-Fi.

Fortunately I have had my trusty Audeze i4 to steady my nerves, soothe my soul with soul and authenticate my life with perfect pitch and harmony. Glory be to all sayeth the Pope! Have I missed my fellow Comrades at this thread at this site? Of course! I see many have joined anew with mystery and wonder who have not yet tasted the words of honey that flow from the Canadian wilderness. May that change slowly and warmly envelope them in the weeks and months to come...

Pope Rotten

So you did all that with i4 hooked to your ears?? :)

Nice to have you back unscathed!

Sep 16, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #898 of 4,795
So you did all that with i4 hooked to your ears?? :)

Nice to have you back unscathed!

I sense extreme doubt in the ability of my i4s to remain attached to my ears Jon Snow, alias normie (if that is the name which you wish to hide behind). We know that you are with the Ginger in the Coldlands where I, King of the SJWs (Saintly Justice Warriors) Reign. You may try and hide and pretend to welcome my return, which I appreciate, however any deviation from this perfect path shall be deemed a crooked route to doom which shall bring horrific affects to thyne life Jon Snow. May it be known here and now that perhaps thyne person could be taken up into the sky by birds of prey from your current Jakarta residence and dispersed as a Scatterlings of Africa.

Audeze i4 does not come with ordinary ear hooks. They come with magical cranial audio-mystification attachments (CAMU). Please remember this. They are perfect. Remember this as well. However they are not as perfect as the Pope of Canada. This is the most important thing of all to remember.

Mr. Snow. I hope that this has been an instructional lesson to you both in respect to the Pope's authority and the magical nature of remaining intact to my magical pumpkin head whilst performing my godly duties. If that is all for now it is time to insert tiny stones in our snowballs to prepare for an invasion of Canada.

Stoned Pope

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #900 of 4,795

Hmmm sounds like the direct opposite of my LCDi4 driven by Mojo. Awesome sound all around. By all accounts here even better with H2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back