Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jul 14, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #511 of 4,796
Demo of Smyth Realizer A16 with my LCD-i4 on Sunday and will try out the Hugo2 tomorrow.

I know how you feel haha. Posthardcore for me ^^

Cagin, we're on the same path. I have a A16 on preorder and the Hugo 2 on U.S. tour will get here on Tuesday. KMann at Audeze stated that he feels the i4 performs better than top tier full-size headphones for surround processing. Please let us know how the session with the Realiser goes and if you are able to position the in-ear measurement microphones with the i4.

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #512 of 4,796
...Please let us know how the session with the Realiser goes and if you are able to position the in-ear measurement microphones with the i4.

I second that. I've been loving how the iSine 10s sound with the Out of Your Head software (Genelec preset), and the idea of the i4s paired with the Smyth Realiser has my ears salivating.

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #513 of 4,796
Cagin, we're on the same path. I have a A16 on preorder and the Hugo 2 on U.S. tour will get here on Tuesday. KMann at Audeze stated that he feels the i4 performs better than top tier full-size headphones for surround processing. Please let us know how the session with the Realiser goes and if you are able to position the in-ear measurement microphones with the i4.

The Smyth measurement microphones sit at the entrance of the ear canal, about the same place where the i4s will also go. I suspect trying to have them both and getting a good seal on i4 is going to be a bit difficult, but is worth the try.

If it were not show conditions, my recommendation would be simply tape the microphone to the end of the sound port to get a good seal and do the HPEQ for Smyth. Since the i4s are in-ears, they are not affected by the outer ear and since the Smyth uses a blocked ear measurement, they for most parts do not capture your ear canal response, so you may as well measure them placing them outside the ear!

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #515 of 4,796
Listened to I4 today at CanJam.

I was very very surprised at the amount of power it needs ! More power hungry than my Hifiman HE-X !
And also, ZERO isolation.

So... it is really for a specific need ! I will try again tomorrow.

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #516 of 4,796
Question too all lcdi4 owners who use it as a portable setup away from home, aren't you concerned with the outside background noise interfering with the sound quality of the lcdi4?

As a prospective i4 owner, no not really. I travel every few mths or so, and the idea of carrying an LCD series in its travel case through airport security is a little daunting to say the least. I tried carrying my LCD-2s in my fairly large duffel bag back and forth to my different homes years ago and the results were never very pretty. It was a surefire way to have your contents inspected by airport officers.

I plan to use them in any number of fairly isolated areas, like my porch or gardens, in parks, in quiet cafes, or simply lounging around anywhere I choose to at home... And bc the i4s are so tiny, I can also fit in my bag iems for noisier situations like on the airplane, train, etc.

I so dearly wanted to have the LCD-X but my lifestyle simply favors a more transportable setup. I guess audiophiles with strong desktop setups, w multiple cans for multiple amps, would see a lesser need for the i4s.

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #517 of 4,796
Listened to I4 today at CanJam.

I was very very surprised at the amount of power it needs ! More power hungry than my Hifiman HE-X !
And also, ZERO isolation.

So... it is really for a specific need ! I will try again tomorrow.

HEX is very easy to drive with 25 Ohm impedance and 103dB/mW sensitivity.

LCDi4 is still pretty easy to drive with 35 Ohm impedance and 105dB/mW sensitivity.

A well implemented source is still recommended given the capabilities of the i4.

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #518 of 4,796
HEX is very easy to drive with 25 Ohm impedance and 103dB/mW sensitivity.

LCDi4 is still pretty easy to drive with 35 Ohm impedance and 105dB/mW sensitivity.

A well implemented source is still recommended given the capabilities of the i4.

Agree, powered by the hUGO2, the i4 was a totally different animal compared to powered by my AK SP1000. Night & day !

Jul 15, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #520 of 4,796
Headpiece.blogspot.jp/2017/07/the-Audeze-LCD-i4-IEM-Andrew.html
This is a link to a review I did on headpi I tried uploading my review but could not.

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #521 of 4,796
Jul 15, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #522 of 4,796
Jul 15, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #524 of 4,796
As a prospective i4 owner, no not really. I travel every few mths or so, and the idea of carrying an LCD series in its travel case through airport security is a little daunting to say the least. I tried carrying my LCD-2s in my fairly large duffel bag back and forth to my different homes years ago and the results were never very pretty. It was a surefire way to have your contents inspected by airport officers.

I plan to use them in any number of fairly isolated areas, like my porch or gardens, in parks, in quiet cafes, or simply lounging around anywhere I choose to at home... And bc the i4s are so tiny, I can also fit in my bag iems for noisier situations like on the airplane, train, etc.

I so dearly wanted to have the LCD-X but my lifestyle simply favors a more transportable setup. I guess audiophiles with strong desktop setups, w multiple cans for multiple amps, would see a lesser need for the i4s.

I share a very samevlife-style - ie lot of travelling and I am regularly lcd x or x with me. latter one now broken. very interested in your views when you got them. i used isine 10 for some time, plastic broke - quality? Hence I bought sim campfire lyra and vega, interested in any views.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back