Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Aug 10, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #3,946 of 4,804
I'm still using stock cable. I've had no reason to upgrade it vs the price. I like the stock cable. What kind of benefits did you get? was it worth the investment for you?
Well I need 4.4mm balanced cable for my DAP so I decided to get one. And I always love big gauge cables, as they do bring positive changes to the sound.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #3,947 of 4,804
lmao, I completely forgot about the balanced out on my DAP. I read it wasn't that much of a difference, except for more power? I get enough volume with the normie 3.5mm :p

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #3,948 of 4,804
lmao, I completely forgot about the balanced out on my DAP. I read it wasn't that much of a difference, except for more power? I get enough volume with the normie 3.5mm :p
It’s not just about the power, in some cases it has blacker background. But depending on the DAP, sometimes the 3.5mm is as good as 4.4mm.

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #3,949 of 4,804
zx507. 3.5mm seems dead black as it is. Might not bother about it

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #3,950 of 4,804
zx507. 3.5mm seems dead black as it is. Might not bother about it
I have zx507 with lcdi4 on high gain. Definitely prefer the balances out. It's just a little bit MORE, of everything. Lcdi4 scale better with more power as well. Yes only 32ohm, but they can handle a lot more power. U love th with my X507, but I can't wait for my Shanling m8 to come in next week so I can see how they are with that. I definitely like a warm musical signature, and from what I've read, m8 gives a similar vibe to wm1z with a lot more power. Also, I have the ba300s portable tube amp to also go along with them. My favorite headphone to date, and all I need is a 10 band eq

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #3,951 of 4,804
I have zx507 with lcdi4 on high gain. Definitely prefer the balances out. It's just a little bit MORE, of everything. Lcdi4 scale better with more power as well. Yes only 32ohm, but they can handle a lot more power. U love th with my X507, but I can't wait for my Shanling m8 to come in next week so I can see how they are with that. I definitely like a warm musical signature, and from what I've read, m8 gives a similar vibe to wm1z with a lot more power. Also, I have the ba300s portable tube amp to also go along with them. My favorite headphone to date, and all I need is a 10 band eq
When you get the M8 pls tell us how good the Pairing is.

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #3,952 of 4,804
The EQ on the 507 completely changes the lcdi4 into a whole different beast. I personally didn't like the stock tuning. I'd never be be able to go back to no eq. But you saying 'a little bit more of everything'? Couldn't a bump in the volume achieve that or am I understanding this wrong.?

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #3,953 of 4,804
This is also my experience when I had the WM1Z. The balanced out is so much better than SE. Not only blacker background, but also dynamics, headroom, soundstage are better on balanced. I guess this relates to higher power output from 1Z’s 4.4mm (so this goes back to the question related to more power output). With Hiby R8, it’s a different case. The SE is very very good so it’s not really that much different with balanced out.

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #3,954 of 4,804
I was a long while back looking at some balanced cables. But the choice and variety was daunting so I left it lol

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #3,955 of 4,804
I was a long while back looking at some balanced cables. But the choice and variety was daunting so I left it lol
Well life is about choices! 😁

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #3,956 of 4,804
I'd also really like a comparison with the shanling M8 and zx507

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #3,957 of 4,804
My ONLY concern with these, is it feels one day they are going to break. I've never dropped them or anything so never accidentally tested how robust they are, but I've always a constant feelig the driver will detach itself one day
I’m ashamed to say it, but I have “accidentally tested how robust they are”—many times. I’ve had my pair for so long, and have used them so much, I’ve been able to conduct inadvertent durability tests. They may look delicate, because they are lightweight, but my pair has held up like champs. Mm… this is not a recommendation to start beating up your units you understand. They deserve to be babied as much as possible.

As for the earhooks, I actually love them as a solution, but it is the Achilles heel of the design. And, not the hook part actually, but the horseshoe clip. If only they could make that from some material that wouldn’t crack and break, the i4 would be perfect.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #3,958 of 4,804
I’m ashamed to say it, but I have “accidentally tested how robust they are”—many times. I’ve had my pair for so long, and have used them so much, I’ve been able to conduct inadvertent durability tests. They may look delicate, because they are lightweight, but my pair has held up like champs. Mm… this is not a recommendation to start beating up your units you understand. They deserve to be babied as much as possible.

As for the earhooks, I actually love them as a solution, but it is the Achilles heel of the design. And, not the hook part actually, but the horseshoe clip. If only they could make that from some material that wouldn’t crack and break, the i4 would be perfect.
That's reassuring :) so lightweight!

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #3,959 of 4,804
zx507. 3.5mm seems dead black as it is. Might

The EQ on the 507 completely changes the lcdi4 into a whole different beast. I personally didn't like the stock tuning. I'd never be be able to go back to no eq. But you saying 'a little bit more of everything'? Couldn't a bump in the volume achieve that or am I understanding this wrong.?
Not just turning up volume, with increased power comes increased dynamics, Soundstage, etc. Turning up on volume know you're still limited to the amount of power you have to drive the headphones. Like doing a bench press. One guy can lift 200, the other can lift 350. They both can lift 180, but the guy with the 350 limit is gonna lift that one 180 with more speed, fluidity, smoothness, as he won't be struggling at all to do so.

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #3,960 of 4,804
Had a $50 copper balanced cable from Amazon, that did well. Just got a thicker pure silver balanced cable from Penon. Paid a $300 premium for it. It's not a huge difference, but with greater thickness comes less resistance. I paid $2k for my headphones, I figure $300 for a cable I really like how it looks thickness etc. Isn't too much to ask. These are a long term type of headphones, so I'm ok with that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back