Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Aug 9, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #3,931 of 4,804
It doesn't surprise me there is a conversion plug. Quite surprised the cipher cable was the only choice out of the box.
It's the only reason I still kept the 507 for the lcdi4's, for the global eq.
Lcdi4 sounds really good with zx506 on high gain. Trying to get my hands on Shanling M8 to be my TOTL player.

Aug 9, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #3,932 of 4,804
Lcdi4 sounds really good with zx506 on high gain. Trying to get my hands on Shanling M8 to be my TOTL player.
indeed they do. Alot better than a KANN cube. the zx507 is so much more exciting which I reckon the lcdi4's need.

Aug 9, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #3,933 of 4,804
WOW what a game changer! LOL this is all old news but just discovered today.

1) Apple Music Hi Res streaming
2) Mac OS system wide EQ - SoundSource with PEQ AU plugin ($39 from rogueamoeba.com)
3) iFi iDSD Signature DAC (may have to upgrade to Hugo 2 now lol)

Just having so much fun listening SRV at 174/24, just WOW! For my iPhone, Cipher cable still sounds great and now with lossless!

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #3,934 of 4,804
WOW what a game changer! LOL this is all old news but just discovered today.

1) Apple Music Hi Res streaming
2) Mac OS system wide EQ - SoundSource with PEQ AU plugin ($39 from rogueamoeba.com)
3) iFi iDSD Signature DAC (may have to upgrade to Hugo 2 now lol)

Just having so much fun listening SRV at 174/24, just WOW! For my iPhone, Cipher cable still sounds great and now with lossless!
Yeah the i4 scales very well. Occasionally, I also listen to i4 using my full headphone rig using Audeze filter in Roon for i4. It does compete with Susvara and SR1a 😄

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #3,935 of 4,804
Yeah the i4 scales very well. Occasionally, I also listen to i4 using my full headphone rig using Audeze filter in Roon for i4. It does compete with Susvara and SR1a 😄
I’ve heard from some users that the SR1a is far above the i4. They like the i4 as a portable but think it cannot compare to their SR1a.

Can you compare the i4 the SR1a when powered by the same system.

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #3,937 of 4,804
I’ve heard from some users that the SR1a is far above the i4. They like the i4 as a portable but think it cannot compare to their SR1a.

Can you compare the i4 the SR1a when powered by the same system.
I wouldn’t say far above but of course things like the soundstage can’t be compared, it’s just pure physics. That wall of sound coming out of headphones cannot be reproduced by IEMs including i4. What it can compete in are things like speed, resolution and bass, I guess partly because the i4 is using the same diaphragm as the one used in LCD-4.

Aug 9, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #3,938 of 4,804
I wouldn’t say far above but of course things like the soundstage can’t be compared, it’s just pure physics. That wall of sound coming out of headphones cannot be reproduced by IEMs including i4. What it can compete in are things like speed, resolution and bass, I guess partly because the i4 is using the same diaphragm as the one used in LCD-4.
Thanks. That’s my impression as well. I’ve tried out the SR1a at dealers but never at home in the same setup.

For me I use the i4 for speed, resolution, bass. I also love the texture. For “wall of sound”/soundstage convolution is wonder.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #3,939 of 4,804
Thanks. That’s my impression as well. I’ve tried out the SR1a at dealers but never at home in the same setup.

For me I use the i4 for speed, resolution, bass. I also love the texture. For “wall of sound”/soundstage convolution is wonder.
Honestly Soundstage of i4 is ridiculous. I use it forever and gaming over my audioquest Nighthawk, and 701 and meze 99. There have been several times in games where I have heard cricket sounds or birds, or other outdoor noises and I thought they were coming from outside as I was near the window, or water running like a sink. I would pause several times being confused til I realized it was coming from my i4 and not outside or the bathroom. Love for music, and so immersive for gaming, and fun for movies

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #3,940 of 4,804
My ONLY concern with these, is it feels one day they are going to break. I've never dropped them or anything so never accidentally tested how robust they are, but I've always a constant feelig the driver will detach itself one day

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #3,941 of 4,804
That as I'm scared or the repair bill or replacement lol

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #3,942 of 4,804
My ONLY concern with these, is it feels one day they are going to break. I've never dropped them or anything so never accidentally tested how robust they are, but I've always a constant feelig the driver will detach itself one day
The earhooks break easily. I’ve had numerous replacements already 😅

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #3,943 of 4,804
actually there is another little niggle, the 2 pin clips, the right side is uncomfortably loose. had to minutely pinch the pins together to get more bite.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #3,944 of 4,804
actually there is another little niggle, the 2 pin clips, the right side is uncomfortably loose. had to minutely pinch the pins together to get more bite.
+1 always had this problem since day 1. But for me it’s only with aftermarket cables though, with both stock and cipher cables it’s never an issue.

Aug 10, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #3,945 of 4,804
+1 always had this problem since day 1. But for me it’s only with aftermarket cables though, with both stock and cipher cables it’s never an issue.
I'm still using stock cable. I've had no reason to upgrade it vs the price. I like the stock cable. What kind of benefits did you get? was it worth the investment for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back