Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Feb 22, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #1,697 of 4,796
I've just bought it, truly awesome, but I'm currently pairing it with my smartphone, can you guys suggest me some portable DAP or DAC to use along with?

congratulation!
As a dap I would recommend the ibasso dx200 with the Amp4.
while for a dac, if you can allow it, the Hugo2 is amazing paired with the i4, otherwise you can go with the Mojo

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #1,698 of 4,796
I've just bought it, truly awesome, but I'm currently pairing it with my smartphone, can you guys suggest me some portable DAP or DAC to use along with?

My i4 has great synergy with WM1Z. Mind you, the i4 needs to be EQ'ed to reach its targeted FR curve and true potential. Once EQ-ed properly, the pairing is absolutely sublime :)

Feb 23, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #1,699 of 4,796
My i4 has great synergy with WM1Z. Mind you, the i4 needs to be EQ'ed to reach its targeted FR curve and true potential. Once EQ-ed properly, the pairing is absolutely sublime :)

Right? I miss that combo..

What's weird is, the i4 pairs poorly with the Sony PHA-3.

Decent Pairings:

iPhone 6 (6/10)
Not a bad pairing. While it doesn't let the i4 shine, it doesn't hold it back either. A simple setup for travel.

iPhone 6 with Cypher Cable (6.5/10)
Same as above, but with a better tone due to the corrected frequency response. Just switch the stock cable over to the cypher cable and you are good to go.

Good Pairings:

Sony WM1Z on Single Ended (8/10)
A very pleasant pairing with a nice warm tone and a spacious stage. The bass dynamics is decent but the layering and tone helps overlook it. With EQ, the overall balance in signature improves to yield a more accurate timbre. Highly recommended.

Lotoo Paw Gold (8/10)
Very powerful and has good dynamics. Also offers accurate (but slightly bright) timbre, especially after EQ. Excellent technicalities. A bit of hardness in the treble. Drives the i4 with good enough authority and grip.

Hugo 2 (8.5/10) (Tried this only briefly)
Presents a very realistic sound, due to the excellent midrange. that is accurate and natural in timbre with the Reveal Plugin/EQ. A well articulated sound and a musical combo. If only it had a bit more bass dynamics, this would be the THE source for the i4. Highly recommended.

Magni 3 (Line Out from LPG) (7.5/10)
The only fully discrete amplifier in this list. Has the best authority and grip. Not the best in terms of technicalities and mid-range resolution. But has the most spacious stage and the best bass dynamics in this list.

Poor Pairings:

Sony PHA-3 on Single Ended (5/10)
Not sure what was wrong here because the device definitely has sufficient power to handle the i4. But the midrange sounds recessed and the whole sound is soft. Even the HD800S pairs well with the PHA3. I wonder if the PHA3 is not great at handling planar drivers.

Fiio X3ii (5/10)
Same as the PHA 3. Soft sound. iPhone does a better job than this DAP.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #1,700 of 4,796
Right? I miss that combo..

What's weird is, the i4 pairs poorly with the Sony PHA-3.

Decent Pairings:

iPhone 6 (6/10)
Not a bad pairing. While it doesn't let the i4 shine, it doesn't hold it back either. A simple setup for travel.

iPhone 6 with Cypher Cable (6.5/10)
Same as above, but with a better tone due to the corrected frequency response. Just switch the stock cable over to the cypher cable and you are good to go.

Good Pairings:

Sony WM1Z on Single Ended (8/10)
A very pleasant pairing with a nice warm tone and a spacious stage. The bass dynamics is decent but the layering and tone helps overlook it. With EQ, the overall balance in signature improves to yield a more accurate timbre. Highly recommended.

Pretty spot on although I drive them balanced with high gain on 1Z. The background is much darker and the extra power gives more dynamics to the overall tone. It also gives more layering and separation.

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #1,701 of 4,796
Pretty spot on although I drive them balanced with high gain on 1Z. The background is much darker and the extra power gives more dynamics to the overall tone. It also gives more layering and separation.

I just got back my i4 cable reterminated to balanced 4.4mm. Initial listen on the 1Z (albeit in a noisy environment) sounds a bit underpowered. This is already on high gain and volume past 80. On my Xelentos and Z5 I listen between 60-70.

Is there any EQ I should do? Please share. Thanks

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #1,702 of 4,796
I just got back my i4 cable reterminated to balanced 4.4mm. Initial listen on the 1Z (albeit in a noisy environment) sounds a bit underpowered. This is already on high gain and volume past 80. On my Xelentos and Z5 I listen between 60-70.

Is there any EQ I should do? Please share. Thanks

I use volume 80 for aac and mp3 files, 90 for hi-res non-dsd (dxd, flac) and 100 for dsd files. On single ended, I remember I had to crank up to 100 for mp3 files, so it's already an improvement in balanced out.

The EQ won't really increase volume level, it's just to adjust the tonal balance to get the preferred FR curve. Kmann has a pretty good reference on EQ settings and I can pm you mine if you'd like later on (I'm still on the road at the moment). My EQ is a bit boosted on the low frequencies since I like the low end to have more punch and thicker notes overall.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #1,703 of 4,796
Hugo 2 (8.5/10) (Tried this only briefly)
Presents a very realistic sound, due to the excellent midrange. that is accurate and natural in timbre with the Reveal Plugin/EQ. A well articulated sound and a musical combo. If only it had a bit more bass dynamics, this would be the THE source for the i4. Highly recommended.
Before the cipher cable for lcd i4 came into existence I was convinced with the bass from the Hugo 2. After using the cipher cable I was surprised with the bass response & vocals . The bass had more body... it was not muddy... really fast.... I admire that type of bass response(maybe I am used to it). On the other hand with Hugo 2 the lower frequency had more definition .... its quite easy to differentiate between the sub-bass, mid-bass freq ( fyi... this is the first time I got analytical about bass notes...)
After listening to hugo2*i4 combo...I find very difficult to adapt to my kann * i4 combo (used high gain as well)... I have not tried the balanced out...
I have tried lcd i4 with sp1000ss (unbalanced) . I was really impressed with the imaging, separation, dynamics & treble response( better/equal to Hugo 2 ) ..but again the lower freq were not that convincing (personal preference)...
I have not tried ibasso dx200 with amp 4 ( not available in my country )... @kubig123 plz share some impressions on bass response from dx200....
Also, what about pairing with a tube amp/ dac or amp only....? Any impressions..
Thanks

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #1,704 of 4,796
Also, what about pairing with a tube amp/ dac or amp only....? Any impressions..
Thanks

I had loaned my i4 to a friend, who owns a Hugo 2 and a ZDS (ZDS = Eddit Current Zana Deux S tube amp). He said, adding the ZDS between the Hugo 2 and i4 brought some desirable changes/improvements to the presentation of the i4. Apparently the amp help improves the bass dynamics, soundstage and extension on both ends. Basically, what I am observing with the Magni 3, but in greater magnitude. Apart from those improvements, the amp adds body to the mid-range and smooths the treble out a bit.

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #1,705 of 4,796
I had loaned my i4 to a friend, who owns a Hugo 2 and a ZDS (ZDS = Eddit Current Zana Deux S tube amp). He said, adding the ZDS between the Hugo 2 and i4 brought some desirable changes/improvements to the presentation of the i4. Apparently the amp help improves the bass dynamics, soundstage and extension on both ends. Basically, what I am observing with the Magni 3, but in greater magnitude. Apart from those improvements, the amp adds body to the mid-range and smooths the treble out a bit.
Thanks... I'll try to pair with a tube amp...

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #1,706 of 4,796
I use volume 80 for aac and mp3 files, 90 for hi-res non-dsd (dxd, flac) and 100 for dsd files. On single ended, I remember I had to crank up to 100 for mp3 files, so it's already an improvement in balanced out.

The EQ won't really increase volume level, it's just to adjust the tonal balance to get the preferred FR curve. Kmann has a pretty good reference on EQ settings and I can pm you mine if you'd like later on (I'm still on the road at the moment). My EQ is a bit boosted on the low frequencies since I like the low end to have more punch and thicker notes overall.

Thanks. Look forward to your PM on settings

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #1,708 of 4,796
I thought the i4 pairs very well with the Woo WA8. Adds body and slam.

I’m currently using the i4 with the Sony TA dac amp with good results too. Less coloured than WA8.
Thanks. I already have hugo 2 for the dac part. Looking for an amp only... any thoughts on schiit products, desktop grade amp will also work or any amp that compliments hugo 2 & keeps the sound more natural...

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,709 of 4,796
Before the cipher cable for lcd i4 came into existence I was convinced with the bass from the Hugo 2. After using the cipher cable I was surprised with the bass response & vocals . The bass had more body... it was not muddy... really fast.... I admire that type of bass response(maybe I am used to it). On the other hand with Hugo 2 the lower frequency had more definition .... its quite easy to differentiate between the sub-bass, mid-bass freq ( fyi... this is the first time I got analytical about bass notes...)
After listening to hugo2*i4 combo...I find very difficult to adapt to my kann * i4 combo (used high gain as well)... I have not tried the balanced out...
I have tried lcd i4 with sp1000ss (unbalanced) . I was really impressed with the imaging, separation, dynamics & treble response( better/equal to Hugo 2 ) ..but again the lower freq were not that convincing (personal preference)...
I have not tried ibasso dx200 with amp 4 ( not available in my country )... @kubig123 plz share some impressions on bass response from dx200....
Thanks

I really like the dx200 with the i4, compared to the sp1000cu the dx has better definition, more body and the bass are faster and more refined.
The Hugo is a different level, but the dx200 is the best player I have to drive the i4.

Feb 25, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #1,710 of 4,796
Audeze B-Stock Sale @ The Source AV!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-b-stock-sale-the-source-av.873044/#post-14063626
upload_2018-2-25_13-58-23.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back