Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Apr 20, 2024 at 2:19 AM Post #6,781 of 6,785
The ADI-2/4 Pro Se has a completely redesigned amp section with a lot more power and better resolution. It's a step up from the earlier RME DAC/amps for sure. I haven't heard those earlier iterations specifically with the LCD-5, but I've heard the 2 with many other headphones and doubt it would run the LCD-5 well. The 2/4, on the other hand, sounds fantastic with the 5. Definitely not slow or flabby in the bass. It's not quite as clean or controlled as with my HPA4, but it's a fairly small difference.
I have the 2/4. It’s powerful enough to drive LCD-5 with decent headroom, but it’s not an ideal pairing. Its typical studio interface sounds very true to source. If that’s your thing go for it. In that case it may even sound better than my UD-701n (Tube like sound in a solid state with forward vocals).

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:09 AM Post #6,782 of 6,785
Hi all - I’ve been listening to my LCD5’s recently after a fairly long period of time focusing more on my Susvara’s and Caldera’s I don’t want to get into a debate about which is “best” but one of the real strengths of the LCD5 for me is that the sound is just so “clean”. A purity which I really like.

I’m sure this is due to them having crazy low distortion. A real technical achievement (and also why they take EQ so well of course).

Too many seem to discount this headphone because of the frequency response (which is fixable with EQ and convolution filters) and smaller soundstage (which I think you get used to especially as it images so well). And for my taste I appreciate the lowest level of sibilance and zing in the treble that I’ve ever heard without being overly dark and muddy.

Would actually be keen to hear how these match up against the DCA Stealth/Expanse. From what I’ve read they are also extremely well made low distortion headphones.

Apr 24, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #6,783 of 6,785
Hi all - I’ve been listening to my LCD5’s recently after a fairly long period of time focusing more on my Susvara’s and Caldera’s I don’t want to get into a debate about which is “best” but one of the real strengths of the LCD5 for me is that the sound is just so “clean”. A purity which I really like.

I’m sure this is due to them having crazy low distortion. A real technical achievement (and also why they take EQ so well of course).

Too many seem to discount this headphone because of the frequency response (which is fixable with EQ and convolution filters) and smaller soundstage (which I think you get used to especially as it images so well). And for my taste I appreciate the lowest level of sibilance and zing in the treble that I’ve ever heard without being overly dark and muddy.

Would actually be keen to hear how these match up against the DCA Stealth/Expanse. From what I’ve read they are also extremely well made low distortion headphones.
Same, I'd love to try the stealth vs the LCD5. Shame they don't do tours in europe

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #6,784 of 6,785

Hylo.

I recall.
I have report in Expanse thread and here previously.
Great stock tone and not as mid forward as LCD5.
Splashy treble feeling.
Wonky stage presentation with sense of distance from imaginary stage but still flat and direct in side to side panning at same time.
Improved with then 512 DSD pc limit at time without EQ too.
Great comfort.

Main concern was lack of engagement probably due to presentation that I could not connect with. Similar to 6xx during trial as good tone but just sound hitting ears with no emotion or engagement. Whatever the effect is going on with LCD5 is quite different in bodily and auditory connection that is absent in those two. Still unknown and unfounded phenomena combined with 1024/convo while in search and trials among all subjects tested at jam of cans I attended.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 4:17 PM Post #6,785 of 6,785
I feel like LCD-5 is slept on heavily by most, without EQ. It makes a huge difference having EQ with these. They respond so well to it.

Technical performance is the best I've heard in any planar, so far. It trades blows with Susvara, where both headphones offer a different style but similar detail. It's just preference from there. I prefer the punch of LCD.

Something like Ferrum Erco + Hypsos is the cheapest setup anyone should use for LCD-5, it sounds great. Anything below just doesn't perform. LCD-5 really needs the right amp and DAC, otherwise it's not very impressive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back