Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #2,431 of 2,477
Found an interesting video from the Pro Audio world. It seems the 4z is getting a lot of positive attention from mixing engineers, praising it to be linear-ish with a slight bass hump. Interesting comparisons from minute 28:00 onwards with the LCD-X, MM-500, LCD-5, and CRBN.

Sep 17, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #2,432 of 2,477
Guys can someone please advise or confirm next amps pairing with LCD4z
1) Bakoon AMP-13R
2) Ampsandsound Mogwai SE
Would they make a good match with 4z? usually people tend to prefer 4z with solid-state amps rather than warm tube amps so can someone advise espesially on ampsandsound?

Sep 18, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #2,433 of 2,477
Guys can someone please advise or confirm next amps pairing with LCD4z
1) Bakoon AMP-13R
2) Ampsandsound Mogwai SE
Would they make a good match with 4z? usually people tend to prefer 4z with solid-state amps rather than warm tube amps so can someone advise espesially on ampsandsound?

for item no 2), you can just visit the ampsandsound website and use the chat feature to answer your question. It's usually Justin (the amp designer) who picks up on the queries directly.

Sep 21, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #2,434 of 2,477
Just received a new pair of 4z with the new pads. The frequency response of this unit provided by Audeze is as linear as I’ve ever seen on any Audeze headphone. They were manufactured 6 months ago. They’ve clearly made some serious iterative improvements since I tested the 4z a few years ago. Whether this is just the new pad change I can’t say.

As far as the pads are concerned the ear sits much closer to the driver now. The soundstage feels more intimate and the sound is more direct. I perceive less reflections with a more consistent and linear sound and the frequency response really backs this up.

The only thing I’m really undecided about is the bass. It feels tighter and more controlled but it’s clearly lost some slam. The best way to describe the bass is that it feels a bit ‘porous’ - like some of it dissipates before it reaches your ear, like it’s being tamed. The previous memory foam pads would hit harder in the bass. I’m certain of this. But the bass presentation is still wonderful as it is I just think it’s lost a bit of grit.

All in all the improvements from the first 4z I had a few years are substantial. For the first time I can enjoy an Audeze headphone without any EQ which I think is amazing. The resolution this headphone provides is nuts especially in the mids. It’s really special.

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #2,435 of 2,477
Does anyone else feel the new pads have reduced bass energy on their 4z? It feels like i’m not getting the same thunderous slam after EQ.

Trying to understand if it’s the result of the new pads. The problem is that Audeze approach is to continuously improve their staff batch by batch. I’ve yet to hear two units of the same model sound the same.

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #2,436 of 2,477
Does anyone else feel the new pads have reduced bass energy on their 4z? It feels like i’m not getting the same thunderous slam after EQ.

Trying to understand if it’s the result of the new pads. The problem is that Audeze approach is to continuously improve their staff batch by batch. I’ve yet to hear two units of the same model sound the same.
When I had them, I thought the new pads made the 4z's bass more technical while maintaining most of the bass impact as before. I was able to bring the bass "slam" back with EQ and they sounded better than ever when I did.

Sep 22, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #2,437 of 2,477

Yes, I felt the same way when I got the new pads. The bass is more tame and has less of that rumble of the previous pads. I also found that the mids are less recessed, particularly noticeable with vocals.

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #2,439 of 2,477
I’m thinking of purchasing a Mojo 2. Has anyone tried it with the 4z. Is it able to drive them or does it sound lean? How’s the bass slam which is usually the indicator for me. Anyone able to give me some impressions please?

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #2,440 of 2,477
I have the chord Hugo 2 and lcd5. And have auditioned the lcd 4Z.

My gut feel would be as you suspect. It may be adequate but far from potential and slightly under driven.

Suggest auditioning - lcd 4Z and lcd3 are different ?

Oct 22, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #2,441 of 2,477
I have the chord Hugo 2 and lcd5. And have auditioned the lcd 4Z.

My gut feel would be as you suspect. It may be adequate but far from potential and slightly under driven.

Suggest auditioning - lcd 4Z and lcd3 are different ?
The LCD5 and 4z are low impedance but the LCD5 is very amp picky. It wasn’t designed in my opinion to run off portable gear in the way 4z was. You’ll get satisfactory results with capable DAP’s using the 4z.

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #2,442 of 2,477
Considering LCD-4z, and want some advice.
I'm a metalhead and I like HPs that can really bring it in the bass department, otherwise I'm just not interested, I'm not flat FR or analytical sound.

I own the LCD-X, but I barely use it anymore, as they are really lacking in vocals compared to my other HPs and they are just not as good in general.

I was wondering if the LCD-4z is really like the LCD-4 (which I never tried but read about), or is it something else?
Can someone compare the LCD-4z with the LCD-X or with any other HPs I own - Rognir, D8000 Pro?

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #2,443 of 2,477
4z is not exactly like 4. 4z is less lush, more energetic, cleaner. Both have excellent bass. Both very full sounding. Both very physical and tonally saturated. If you get a 4 or 4Z, get the 2022 newest pads as they solve the upper midrange dip issue.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #2,444 of 2,477
4z is not exactly like 4. 4z is less lush, more energetic, cleaner. Both have excellent bass. Both very full sounding. Both very physical and tonally saturated. If you get a 4 or 4Z, get the 2022 newest pads as they solve the upper midrange dip issue.

Do they improve upon the LCD-X? how?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back