Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
May 5, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #2,027 of 2,477
What do you typically grab when you’re in the mood for some metal? Heavy stuff
Sorry I don’t really do Heavy Metal. But I’ve said this before in one of the other threads. At least for me.

Empyreans: Jazz focus on Woodwinds and Vocals, Blues, Funk, R&B, Neo-Soul and Country Rock, Reggae, Calypso

LCD-4Z: Jazz focus on brass instruments and drums, Jazz Funk, Funk, Rock, Reggae, Jazz Bass is also real good

HEKSE: Classical, Jazz with a focus on strings, horns (aka Trumpet) and piano, Latin, Folk, Soca

Susvara: Classical, Jazz with a focus on strings, horns (aka Trumpet) and piano, Latin, Folk, Soca. But I would also say music that highlights the Bass Player is just literally Killer here. Try listening to some Marcus Miller, Victor Wooton, Flea, Jaco Pastorius, Les Claypool, Charles Mingus and Stanley Clark just to name a few. You will really see what the this headphone has to offer.

I’m not saying these headphones aren’t more versatile then the genres I highlighted them for.

May 8, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #2,029 of 2,477
Specific to daps, can people list off which ones they’ve paired with the 4z successfully?
The 4Z is very efficient so can be paired with almost any DAP. But consider the 4Z has a slightly darker sound signature. So you might be better with one that is a little brighter or get a silver cable to balance it out.

May 20, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #2,031 of 2,477
I have a pair of LCD-4z's on order and was wondering if they would benefit from amplification beyond what a Chord Hugo 2 can provide. I browsed this thread but couldn't find a clear answer. TIA.

May 20, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #2,032 of 2,477
Yes. All Planar's really deserve more, even the LCD-4Z. They deserve a desktop solution.

Best way to determine this is to plug your Hugo2 via RCA into a dedicated quality amp (portable there is Cayin C9 but recommend desktop solutions) and see if you like the sound of the stack. I find that I'm left wanting with a Hugo2 -> Empyrean at times so I imagine the LCD-4Z can sound even better.

May 20, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #2,033 of 2,477
Yes. All Planar's really deserve more, even the LCD-4Z. They deserve a desktop solution.

Best way to determine this is to plug your Hugo2 via RCA into a dedicated quality amp (portable there is Cayin C9 but recommend desktop solutions) and see if you like the sound of the stack. I find that I'm left wanting with a Hugo2 -> Empyrean at times so I imagine the LCD-4Z can sound even better.
I'm thinking about buying a Schiit Heresy. Based on the reviews it would likely be a good pairing with the 4z. Or is it worth it to invest in a better amp? I'm coming from IEM's so not too familiar with pairing amps and headphones.

May 20, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #2,034 of 2,477
I have a pair of LCD-4z's on order and was wondering if they would benefit from amplification beyond what a Chord Hugo 2 can provide. I browsed this thread but couldn't find a clear answer. TIA.
The Hugo 2 does a great job with the LCD-4z's, but they do scale up. I love them with my Formula S. They are even more dynamic and punchy.

May 20, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #2,035 of 2,477
Best to listen through your H2 and various filters, give the headphones a chance to burn in before you go all out …

Also suggest auditioning before purchasing blind wherever possible. Preferences and opinions and change over time. If you’ve spent ages listening to something else, it may take some time for your brain to adapt. Give it a good listen before you should make determine what next to do.

alternatively spend big and keep chasing a tail!

May 20, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #2,036 of 2,477
Best to listen through your H2 and various filters, give the headphones a chance to burn in before you go all out …

Also suggest auditioning before purchasing blind wherever possible. Preferences and opinions and change over time. If you’ve spent ages listening to something else, it may take some time for your brain to adapt. Give it a good listen before you should make determine what next to do.

alternatively spend big and keep chasing a tail!

Sound advice.

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #2,037 of 2,477
To be honest, if you were to spend on the Cayin C9 I’d consider saving up the bit extra for the Naim headphone edition to future proof. If portability is what you want, can’t do much better.

I’m not sure an entry level will add to rather than subtract from the H2. There’s every chance your Audeze will sound fine. They’re capable of better but the diminishing returns are real

May 21, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #2,038 of 2,477
To be honest, if you were to spend on the Cayin C9 I’d consider saving up the bit extra for the Naim headphone edition to future proof. If portability is what you want, can’t do much better.

I’m not sure an entry level will add to rather than subtract from the H2. There’s every chance your Audeze will sound fine. They’re capable of better but the diminishing returns are real
Do you have a link to the Naim amp you're referring to? Is it transportable? All I found from a google search was the "Naim Uniti Atom headphone edition" but that's a full size option.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #2,039 of 2,477
One of the best listening experiences I've had since getting into head-fi. The pairing is simply brilliant.

IMG_1100.jpg

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #2,040 of 2,477
I couldn’t concur more. I’m pairing them with a TT2+M-scaler and they just sound incredible from every single point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back