Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #2,011 of 2,477
My LCD-4z’s are back after getting a facelift from Audeze. I sent them in to get the new copper mesh and earpads. I’m happy to report that I do hear a more balanced sounding headphone. @InstantSilence was right, there is a difference in the sound signature. My LCD-4z’s are now better sounding and better looking!

EF545543-0481-4A08-A06F-23E4072A6CAD.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #2,012 of 2,477
My LCD-4z’s are back after getting a facelift from Audeze. I sent them in to get the new copper mesh and earpads. I’m happy to report that I do hear a more balanced sounding headphone. @InstantSilence was right, there is a difference in the sound signature. My LCD-4z’s are no better sounding and better looking!

Glad you finally get the facelift version, definitely an improvement in sound!

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,013 of 2,477
My LCD-4z’s are back after getting a facelift from Audeze. I sent them in to get the new copper mesh and earpads. I’m happy to report that I do hear a more balanced sounding headphone. @InstantSilence was right, there is a difference in the sound signature. My LCD-4z’s are no better sounding and better looking!

I love the look. How would you say the bass body/impact has changed with the new earpads?

I am a long term Audeze fan, but the 4z (and the 24) are the only LCDs I have never heard. When I auditioned the LCD4 I really liked its resolution and bass. Simply noone else can do bass better than Audeze.
That said, unfortunately bass is not everything. I do find that mids and treble on my Empyrean just sound better. Perhaps not as refined as the LCD4 but there is definitely more air and space to breathe. It just feels more natural and less 'shadowed'.

It has been quite a while ago when I auditioned the LCD4 (which I found too heavy to own anyway) but every now and then I start to play with the thought of buying a second-hand 4z. Partly because I am an Audeze bass fan, partly because I love the looks and I hope I could cope with the weight better. Apart from weight I love the feel of Audeze's huge earcups.

My main worries about pulling the trigger I guess is that I would be disappointed with the mids/treble versus my Empyrean.

Any chance you could share your personal take on the two headphones, in case you have heard the Empyrean?

Also, buying second-hand is a worry as I have heard about quite a few driver fails or channel inconsistency on the 4z in particular.

I am pretty sure bass is better than it is on the Empyrean, but how is resolution, balance and impact? Empyrean bass can improve a lot with good amping, but it is just a different style. It will never reach Audeze level of bass contour and weight.
At the same time, as an all time bass fan, I find myself more and more appreciating an opened and lifelike mid/treble section.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #2,014 of 2,477
I love the look. How would you say the bass body/impact has changed with the new earpads?

I am a long term Audeze fan, but the 4z (and the 24) are the only LCDs I have never heard. When I auditioned the LCD4 I really liked its resolution and bass. Simply noone else can do bass better than Audeze.
That said, unfortunately bass is not everything. I do find that mids and treble on my Empyrean just sound better. Perhaps not as refined as the LCD4 but there is definitely more air and space to breathe. It just feels more natural and less 'shadowed'.

It has been quite a while ago when I auditioned the LCD4 (which I found too heavy to own anyway) but every now and then I start to play with the thought of buying a second-hand 4z. Partly because I am an Audeze bass fan, partly because I love the looks and I hope I could cope with the weight better. Apart from weight I love the feel of Audeze's huge earcups.

My main worries about pulling the trigger I guess is that I would be disappointed with the mids/treble versus my Empyrean.

Any chance you could share your personal take on the two headphones, in case you have heard the Empyrean?

Also, buying second-hand is a worry as I have heard about quite a few driver fails or channel inconsistency on the 4z in particular.

I am pretty sure bass is better than it is on the Empyrean, but how is resolution, balance and impact? Empyrean bass can improve a lot with good amping, but it is just a different style. It will never reach Audeze level of bass contour and weight.
At the same time, as an all time bass fan, I find myself more and more appreciating an opened and lifelike mid/treble section.
I did a long comparison with the Empyrean's and LCD-4z's in a review I did. I had the Burson Conductor 3XR at the time. The Burson 3XR and Soloist 3XP both really excel with warmer headphones in my opinion. I just didn't like either of them with the Susvara's, but that is another story.

The Empyrean and LCD-4z headphones have very similar bass and midrange performance. The difference to my ears was that the LCD-4z's offered better resolution and clarity throughout the frequency spectrum. Bass is tighter with better punch on the LCD-4z's. The Emyprean's has more bass but is looser and less defined. The midrange is cleaner and not as thick on the LCD-4z's as it is on the Empyrean's. The Emyprean's at the time had better treble clarity and it extended further. This is one area the updates on the LCD-4z's have improved upon. The treble frequency is a lot smoother now on the LCD-4z's.

Overall, the Empyrean's are just a step behind the LCD-4z's in presenting a detailed presentation. They also fall behind is resolve and transparency when compared to headphones like the HEKse and Diana Phi's and V2's. The updated LCD-4z's widens the gap in sound even more to my ears. Now the LCD-4z's sound even more balanced and the upper midrange/lower treble dip is not even audible to my ears.

The Empyrean's have a smoother, lush delivery that is very musical and easy to enjoy. The LCD-4z's are not a smooth because it has better technicalities and sounds a little more open in comparison. If you can get a listen to the LCD-4z's you should. If for not other reason that to satisfy your curiosity :).

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #2,015 of 2,477
I did a long comparison with the Empyrean's and LCD-4z's in a review I did. I had the Burson Conductor 3XR at the time. The Burson 3XR and Soloist 3XP both really excel with warmer headphones in my opinion. I just didn't like either of them with the Susvara's, but that is another story.

The Empyrean and LCD-4z headphones have very similar bass and midrange performance. The difference to my ears was that the LCD-4z's offered better resolution and clarity throughout the frequency spectrum. Bass is tighter with better punch on the LCD-4z's. The Emyprean's has more bass but is looser and less defined. The midrange is cleaner and not as thick on the LCD-4z's as it is on the Empyrean's. The Emyprean's at the time had better treble clarity and it extended further. This is one area the updates on the LCD-4z's have improved upon. The treble frequency is a lot smoother now on the LCD-4z's.

Overall, the Empyrean's are just a step behind the LCD-4z's in presenting a detailed presentation. They also fall behind is resolve and transparency when compared to headphones like the HEKse and Diana Phi's and V2's. The updated LCD-4z's widens the gap in sound even more to my ears. Now the LCD-4z's sound even more balanced and the upper midrange/lower treble dip is not even audible to my ears.

The Empyrean's have a smoother, lush delivery that is very musical and easy to enjoy. The LCD-4z's are not a smooth because it has better technicalities and sounds a little more open in comparison. If you can get a listen to the LCD-4z's you should. If for not other reason that to satisfy your curiosity :).
Thanks, that is very helpful indeed. I need to audition though before any commitment.

I love the easy listening yet detailed nature of the Empyrean, even though it might not be up to the 4z's technicalities. At the same time I am a real Audeze bass addict from owning the 2C, 2f, X and auditioning the 3 and 4.

I guess at this level one has to audition, but your comment was still very helpful.
Cheers.

Apr 18, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #2,016 of 2,477
Thanks, that is very helpful indeed. I need to audition though before any commitment.

I love the easy listening yet detailed nature of the Empyrean, even though it might not be up to the 4z's technicalities. At the same time I am a real Audeze bass addict from owning the 2C, 2f, X and auditioning the 3 and 4.

I guess at this level one has to audition, but your comment was still very helpful.
Cheers.
Thanks, even though that’s what I hear nothing can replace listening to them for yourself. In the end, it’s up to you to decide if they are indeed worthy of your hard earned dollars.

May 3, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #2,017 of 2,477
A bit of a noobie question here, admittedly. Portable listener here. I can’t sit still and listen to music

can the LCDz’s be driven by a phone? The $4k price tag wouldn’t be so bad for someone that can wait a bit for an amp (or get a more affordable portable amp)

also, I sure hope these would have more punch and slam than my m50x’s. I got the grado hemps and they aren’t even close there. Probably due to open construction. Still happy to have them though

May 3, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #2,019 of 2,477
The LCD 4Zs are a very good efficient headphone. It can play off you iPhone but scales very well with power.

I would suggest the Hifi-Man HE1000SE for what you would like to do. These also scale well with power, but I think it plays better from iPhone than the 4Z.

I do happen to own both these headphones.

May 3, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #2,020 of 2,477
The LCD 4Zs are a very good efficient headphone. It can play off you iPhone but scales very well with power.

I would suggest the Hifi-Man HE1000SE for what you would like to do. These also scale well with power, but I think it plays better from iPhone than the 4Z.

I do happen to own both these headphones.

One of the reasons I’m drawn to the 4z is because it’s said to have a darker sound profile.

according to Joshua Valour (sucks that’s all I have to go off of but better than nothing) the HE1000SE doesn’t go loud very well. He claims the upper mids and highs go up but the bass doesn’t follow, when being pushed. Do you agree?

I like to listen really loud for the chonky lower mids and bass but also not kill my hearing with higher frequencies. The m50x seems to cover that ground. Or I’ve destroyed my hearing to tolerate it

May 4, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #2,025 of 2,477
You have more of a selection than any store in Portland! So then is the Diana better than all the others by a long shot?
It all depends on what your looking for. Open headphones always sound better to me. But not always practical depending on locations.

I like certain headphones based on my mood and music I’m listening to. I have very eclectic music taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back