Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #1,981 of 2,477
I believe this is referring to the second iteration (or most recent one) that came out in the past couple of year. This iteration changed the grill color and some other cosmetic things but I wasn't aware of the tuning change. I don't see any news anywhere about a recent update to the 4z so I'm pretty sure this is just the iteration that came out in the past couple years. However, please correct me if I'm wrong.
I wasn’t aware of any changes. I just thought it was a camera filter or something similar altering the grille color. I definitely wasn’t aware of any tuning or driver changes. I reached out to Audeze to see if they can shed some light on the subject.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #1,982 of 2,477
I wasn’t aware of any changes. I just thought it was a camera filter or something similar altering the grille color. I definitely wasn’t aware of any tuning or driver changes. I reached out to Audeze to see if they can shed some light on the subject.

20210225_200143.jpg

Let us know what audeze said about it.
I hear that lcd4 also has *silent *tuning upgrades

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #1,983 of 2,477
Mar 16, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #1,984 of 2,477
Definitely a little different than mine:

05799DFA-6F45-4C94-A919-C2444B049E27.jpeg
Yours is the one I had! More yellow.
This one I have now is just straight copper. Either look good, I may like the gold more actually.
But the tuning is quite a bit different, I'd say it's stronger than a cable upgrade, it opens up more in the mid-range, it's more forward but in a clean separated way, definitely get more resolution, the treble is smoother overall, less peaky (even though it never had much peak)
For me that's a big deal as I'm so sensitive

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #1,985 of 2,477
Yours is the one I had! More yellow.
This one I have now is just straight copper. Either look good, I may like the gold more actually.
But the tuning is quite a bit different, I'd say it's stronger than a cable upgrade, it opens up more in the mid-range, it's more forward but in a clean separated way, definitely get more resolution, the treble is smoother overall, less peaky (even though it never had much peak)
For me that's a big deal as I'm so sensitive
Interesting about the tuning

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #1,987 of 2,477
Here's what mine looks like. I ordered this as part of the black friday sale in 2019. I believe this is the newer revision.
4z cropped.jpg

Mar 16, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #1,988 of 2,477
Here's what mine looks like. I ordered this as part of the black friday sale in 2019. I believe this is the newer revision.
4z cropped.jpg
Yours seem to have the copper mesh too.

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #1,989 of 2,477
Yours seem to have the copper mesh too.
Yeah when did you order yours? I'm curious when Audeze started shipping the newer revision

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #1,990 of 2,477
Yeah when did you order yours? I'm curious when Audeze started shipping the newer revision
I ordered mine last June. I guess some dealers have mixed stock. I have no issues with the tuning. I don’t hear much of the upper midrange, lower treble dip at all

Mar 16, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #1,991 of 2,477
I ordered mine last June. I guess some dealers have mixed stock. I have no issues with the tuning. I don’t hear much of the upper midrange, lower treble dip at all
Alright I ordered directly from Audeze so that's probably why I have the newer version. As long as you're happy with your 4z though the revision shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,992 of 2,477
Alright I ordered directly from Audeze so that's probably why I have the newer version. As long as you're happy with your 4z the revision shouldn't matter.
I wonder if I could get a set of the copper mesh grilles? I really doubt they tweak the tuning unless the mesh has something to do with it.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #1,993 of 2,477
Was this announced somewhere?
Ugh, no, AFAIK Audeze never announced anything regarding "facelift" of their headphones.

I wonder if I could get a set of the copper mesh grilles? I really doubt they tweak the tuning unless the mesh has something to do with it.

Mesh design will affect air flow to driver. Different air flow = different sound tuning. Not sure how big the effect though. Perhaps we need to start count the fazor on old/new 4Z like people on LCD-X thread :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 16, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #1,994 of 2,477
Ugh, no, AFAIK Audeze never announced anything regarding "facelift" of their headphones.

Mesh design will affect air flow to driver. Different air flow = different sound tuning. Not sure how big the effect though. Perhaps we need to start count the fazor on old/new 4Z like people on LCD-X thread :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Thanks for the reply. I figure any change in tuning would be related to the mesh change instead of a driver update. Now, I want to here the difference between the meshes.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back