Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #1,906 of 2,477
I’ve been listening a lot to my 4z out of the H2G2, and I’m pretty impressed. My main headphone amp went to the purchase of a new better one, but it’s going to take like 5 weeks to build. So, no Susvara or TCs for a bit. While the 4z isn’t at Susvara or TCs level, I think it’s more than capable enough to keep me satisfied these next 5 weeks. I’m glad I decided on the 4z over the 4, and there’s no way I can drive the 4 with my H2
What do you feel 4z can do better than TC? I think it's ever more easier to listen to. But lacks the extreme resolution of TC

Aug 28, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #1,907 of 2,477
I’ve been listening a lot to my 4z out of the H2G2, and I’m pretty impressed. My main headphone amp went to the purchase of a new better one, but it’s going to take like 5 weeks to build. So, no Susvara or TCs for a bit. While the 4z isn’t at Susvara or TCs level, I think it’s more than capable enough to keep me satisfied these next 5 weeks. I’m glad I decided on the 4z over the 4, and there’s no way I can drive the 4 with my H2
Wait you sold your Wa33?
Getting the elite Edition?

Aug 28, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #1,908 of 2,477
Aug 28, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #1,909 of 2,477
What do you feel 4z can do better than TC? I think it's ever more easier to listen to. But lacks the extreme resolution of TC
I think the midrange is better. Listening to doom and stoner metal sounds better on the 4z

I think everything else is a bit better on the TCs though

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #1,910 of 2,477
Great choice, I prefer the 4z’s to the 4 myself. What’s good about the 4z’s is they are not trying to be a TC or a Susvara. They present details and music in a way those two headphones can’t. Having to be lucky enough to own all three, I wouldn’t be so quick to say they are miles better than the 4z’s just different. They all present music in their own special way. That’s why it’s so hard trying to have just one headphone. I can’t don’t it :)

Aug 29, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #1,911 of 2,477
I think the midrange is better. Listening to doom and stoner metal sounds better on the 4z

I think everything else is a bit better on the TCs though
I concur with that assessment. I prefer 4z over TC for heavily distorted, aggressive guitar music. For me, the aggression comes out more focused on 4z.

I thought the TC would replace the 4z but it actually reaffirmed 4z as a better choice for some genres.

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #1,912 of 2,477
Has anyone done the head strap mod here (where you shorten the leather strap)? It makes a world of difference in comfort for me, as the carbon fiber frame was touching my head before.

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #1,914 of 2,477
Anyone finding themselves driving a lot of power into these headphones despite their impedance or is it just me.

Not at all!

I do the same thing and often times exceed the capability of my headphone amp since they have no distortion whatsoever even at ear bleeding levels which on bass heavy tracks, you tend to turn things up and that's what consumes the most power: BASS!

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,915 of 2,477
well impedance is only one variable out of many in the equation of hardness to drive

Oct 11, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #1,917 of 2,477
Anyone finding themselves driving a lot of power into these headphones despite their impedance or is it just me.
I find that I am turning up the volume on the 789 more than I would expect with these headphones. I run them single ended and cycle between gains 2 and 3. I am taking delivery of the RebelAmp this week so will be interesting to see how that powers these headphones.

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #1,918 of 2,477
I find that I am turning up the volume on the 789 more than I would expect with these headphones. I run them single ended and cycle between gains 2 and 3. I am taking delivery of the RebelAmp this week so will be interesting to see how that powers these headphones.
Same, I'm running these almost 1 o'clock on my cma 400i, with a 4db lowshelf and finally got them to hit like I want

Users who are viewing this thread

Back