Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #1,801 of 2,477
Really enjoying these, especially with the Audeze profile. If I look at the above post again, and move the midrange to 0db, it's about a +2db boost to the low end / 3.5k range, and a 5db boost to 8.5k. I've been listening to them for several days, and returning to specific albums along the way. The bass is starting to slam more for sure, and I'm noticing more details in songs I didn't notice on the first listen. They just sound slightly more alive than my first listen, and I'm about 25 hours in of burn in.

I'm highly considering upgrading my converters. My current Prism Sound Lyra 2 uses the old Cirrus Logic Flagship CS4398 D/A so it's getting a little long in the tooth and may be holding the 4z back.

Some of the options I'm considering, and they range wildly in price.

Topping D90 ( AK4499 DAC ) $1089 CDN - I would be getting an up to date flagship DAC, with 32bit + 768khz capability. I could pair this with my current AAA THX Monoprice 887 amp , and get it fairly cheap, and possibly picking up something more high end down the line, while also getting an upgrade now.

Chord Hugo 2 $2699 CDN - A little more expensive but this would get me into the Chord 'sound', and also have a dedicated amp that can drive the 4z with digital volume control. I don't necessarily see myself as going mobile with my 4z, but it would give me that option for IEM's at work. My reservation is it's 3 years old and maybe a Hugo3 is coming SOONtm (FOMO), also there is the TT2 ( see below ) & always wondering how much of a jump it would be in sq.

Chord Hugo TT2 $7195 CDN - Big investment. It's not that I "can't" afford this, but if I went this route, I would want to make sure it was something I don't need to upgrade for some years. The bonus is that it would also act as a very formidable headphone amp, and would save me from needing to purchase something more specific if I ever move into other harder to drive headphones.
I hate to encourage anyone to part with more $ than necessary.
TT2... You won't regret. And you are future proof.
Things get even better with hqplayer upsampling.! Significantly so.
H2 is also a nice incisive listen, however more brighter, more forward.
TT2 is just H2 but way better with warmth and non aggressive details clarity

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #1,803 of 2,477
Maybe slim can help you too he is very experienced

Ya he does own a lot of the stuff I'm looking at lol. I think it's probably small upgrade vs big upgrade debate for me at this point. If I drop Hugo2 cash now ( middle of the road), it may have been better served saving it for a bigger upgrade to the TT2. I just wonder how good toppings implementation of the AK4499 is, and if it's worth dropping another 6 grand to move up to the TT2, ya know? That's a huge jump!

Jun 22, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #1,804 of 2,477
Ya he does own a lot of the stuff I'm looking at lol. I think it's probably small upgrade vs big upgrade debate for me at this point. If I drop Hugo2 cash now ( middle of the road), it may have been better served saving it for a bigger upgrade to the TT2. I just wonder how good toppings implementation of the AK4499 is, and if it's worth dropping another 6 grand to move up to the TT2, ya know? That's a huge jump!
It is a massive jump, maybe buy used?
Additionally the H2 got to be miles better than anything topping.
Rme adi-2 dac is also worth looking at. Powerful DSP, very well priced device. 4493 or 4497 dac. Well implemented
H2 is more resolution, clarity however

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #1,805 of 2,477
Really enjoying these, especially with the Audeze profile. If I look at the above post again, and move the midrange to 0db, it's about a +2db boost to the low end / 3.5k range, and a 5db boost to 8.5k. I've been listening to them for several days, and returning to specific albums along the way. The bass is starting to slam more for sure, and I'm noticing more details in songs I didn't notice on the first listen. They just sound slightly more alive than my first listen, and I'm about 25 hours in of burn in.

I'm highly considering upgrading my converters. My current Prism Sound Lyra 2 uses the old Cirrus Logic Flagship CS4398 D/A so it's getting a little long in the tooth and may be holding the 4z back.

Some of the options I'm considering, and they range wildly in price.

Topping D90 ( AK4499 DAC ) $1089 CDN - I would be getting an up to date flagship DAC, with 32bit + 768khz capability. I could pair this with my current AAA THX Monoprice 887 amp , and get it fairly cheap, and possibly picking up something more high end down the line, while also getting an upgrade now.

Chord Hugo 2 $2699 CDN - A little more expensive but this would get me into the Chord 'sound', and also have a dedicated amp that can drive the 4z with digital volume control. I don't necessarily see myself as going mobile with my 4z, but it would give me that option for IEM's at work. My reservation is it's 3 years old and maybe a Hugo3 is coming SOONtm (FOMO), also there is the TT2 ( see below ) & always wondering how much of a jump it would be in sq.

Chord Hugo TT2 $7195 CDN - Big investment. It's not that I "can't" afford this, but if I went this route, I would want to make sure it was something I don't need to upgrade for some years. The bonus is that it would also act as a very formidable headphone amp, and would save me from needing to purchase something more specific if I ever move into other harder to drive headphones.

TT2 option is such a solid choice that I can't think anything wrong with it, but you should love the Chord style of sound so much to go there.

Otherwise Hugo 2 is more versatile, as you can use as portable solution for IEM, and connect it to such nice amplifier with character you really like (around $3k budget) when using with 4Z.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #1,806 of 2,477
TT2 option is such a solid choice that I can't think anything wrong with it, but you should love the Chord style of sound so much to go there.

Otherwise Hugo 2 is more versatile, as you can use as portable solution for IEM, and connect it to such nice amplifier with character you really like (around $3k budget) when using with 4Z.

The other option I'm thinking of ( since I don't need mobility so much ) is to start with a Qutest and pair it with my THX 887 amp.

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #1,807 of 2,477
After about 70hrs of burn in with the 4z and wywires platinum, I've decided to return it as no sonic change has been *detected* vs my no name poop cable.will try a Norne cable next.
In other means, I've changed my USB a to b going to my dac and wow! Floored by the difference, it was an anticable cable.

I can't wait to see what silver does to the 4z! The wywires platinum was the biggest disappointment I've ever had in audio, expecially at the asking price. Never will try with that brand again.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #1,808 of 2,477
If that's your plan.... you should leave this forum and don't look back. If you stick around and visit the TC or Susvara threads... you'll be buying more expensive headphones. :L3000:
Nahhh... selling my susvara and going to 4Z.... even though darker I prefer the meatier sound of the 4z.
also for the dude wondering about TT2.

TT2 and mscaler with 4Z is RADICALLY better than H2... way more meat... hearing them on the tt2 was the reason I went that direction.

i have a new 4z arriving tomorrow.... will be interesting to see how the fiio m15 powers it.

that said I think the abyss TC is the only place I’d move up to now.

Jun 26, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #1,809 of 2,477
The other option I'm thinking of ( since I don't need mobility so much ) is to start with a Qutest and pair it with my THX 887 amp.
Don’t bother. Save for tt2. Substantially better than everything you listed. 4z is a completely different beast on it.... heard bartok is great as well. Put it this way if you heard 4z on tt2 you could not go back.

Jun 26, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #1,810 of 2,477
Don’t bother. Save for tt2. Substantially better than everything you listed. 4z is a completely different beast on it.... heard bartok is great as well. Put it this way if you heard 4z on tt2 you could not go back.

My wallet sends its regards...

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #1,811 of 2,477
I hate to encourage anyone to part with more $ than necessary.
TT2... You won't regret. And you are future proof.
Things get even better with hqplayer upsampling.! Significantly so.
H2 is also a nice incisive listen, however more brighter, more forward.
TT2 is just H2 but way better with warmth and non aggressive details clarity
Then it’s not “just” the H2 at all. Stop this nonsense commentary.

the Benz is just a Camry with better motor and body styling... c’mon pal. What BS

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #1,812 of 2,477
OK I fixed the plastic headband part digging into my head. I have no idea why Audeze ships these with such loose leather headbands, but there is a simple workaround using the existing holes.

I found the answer in the response post here ( the OP uses a destructive method, not recommended )

"There is a far easier and reversible thing you can do, just shift the metal band higher, and when you screw the screws back in, the bottom ones will only be holding in the L/R symbol pad, while the top screws will be the only thing holding the metal headband. "

Now when I put it on the leather is on my head but the plastic part is a good half inch floating above!

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #1,813 of 2,477
OK I fixed the plastic headband part digging into my head. I have no idea why Audeze ships these with such loose leather headbands, but there is a simple workaround using the existing holes.

I found the answer in the response post here ( the OP uses a destructive method, not recommended )

"There is a far easier and reversible thing you can do, just shift the metal band higher, and when you screw the screws back in, the bottom ones will only be holding in the L/R symbol pad, while the top screws will be the only thing holding the metal headband. "

Now when I put it on the leather is on my head but the plastic part is a good half inch floating above!
Can you show me a picture of how it looks plz?

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #1,814 of 2,477
Here you go. You can see from the inside, nothing looks different, the same holes are used. From the outside, you can see the plastic band has simply been shifted up. So essentially the 2 bottom holes of the band are being held by 2 top screws on the inside. The bottom screws just go through the attachment plate and into the base without going through the band.

Attachments

• 20200702_191716.jpg
    20200702_191716.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200702_191838.jpg
    20200702_191838.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Jul 2, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #1,815 of 2,477
Here you go. You can see from the inside, nothing looks different, the same holes are used. From the outside, you can see the plastic band has simply been shifted up. So essentially the 2 bottom holes of the band are being held by 2 top screws on the inside. The bottom screws just go through the attachment plate and into the base without going through the band.
I Guess I'm just an idiot..
I don't understand what's going on at all... How stupid can I be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back