Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #1,156 of 2,477
I have just ordered the 24, should be here in a week or so when it will be put on 24/7 burn in.

I will post photos and impressions.
Saw you have susvarna.. how do you like compared to lcd 4z?

is there any difference between lcd 4 and 4z?

was looking at driving susvarna via xlr from tt2... you think this is enough?

I ha e the lcd 24. I think it’s much better for daps than the 4z. 4z shines with mscaler tt2 but ALL daps Hugo 2 included can’t drive them to get their special effect. The meat.. and since they are darker than the lcd 24 they tend to fall down on daps... in my case kann cube.

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #1,158 of 2,477
Aug 23, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #1,159 of 2,477
Still liking the 4z better? Does the 24 still have much of the same bass impact as the 4z?
Close but 4z has better HOWEVER 24 is much better on the kann cube as the brighter sig makes it stand out more and you get the bass sig where it matters.

my usecase would be 4z desktop. 24 dap.

4z on the tt2.

the special effect of the 4z is the chunky sound... I don’t think any dap on earth can bring this out yet... so in a dap the 4z falls over as you don’t have the magic and it’s dark so it topples over.

in other words if I only had a dap I would return the 4z and keep the 24. If I only had killer desktop tt2 mscaler I’d keep 4z and return 24 as I like the chunky.

now I have a dilemma.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #1,161 of 2,477
Can someone post proper pictures of the 24? Full shots?

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #1,162 of 2,477
Close but 4z has better HOWEVER 24 is much better on the kann cube as the brighter sig makes it stand out more and you get the bass sig where it matters.

my usecase would be 4z desktop. 24 dap.

4z on the tt2.

the special effect of the 4z is the chunky sound... I don’t think any dap on earth can bring this out yet... so in a dap the 4z falls over as you don’t have the magic and it’s dark so it topples over.
Can someone post proper pictures of the 24? Full shots?
inwill take. Some tomorrow.

Aug 23, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #1,163 of 2,477
The Phi is definitely not better than the 4z, not sure what people are smoking. Phi's are more trebly and fatiguing and surprisingly a bit more uncomfortable in the way they fit my head (at least for myself).
Depends on source. The Phi needs plenty of power and a balanced output. If you listened to them single ended.. you really didn’t hear what they’re capable of.

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #1,165 of 2,477
Not an easy call, is it, mixman? We have to hear these things for ourselves... Wish I knew of a way to do that in Europe for the 24.

Yeah but it might be a while before any local dealers have stock on the 24. Luckily I have heard the 4z, so with more reviews hopefully I can begin to figure out the sound signature, without being able to listen to them.

Aug 24, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #1,166 of 2,477
As you know I have the first set of LCD 24 cans... serial 001
Been using all week... I am quite sure there is simply no other over the ear HP that is better than the LCD 24 for Kann Cube... It could quite possibly be the best large HP for any Dap in existence today.

I tested with my Z1R, and LCD 4Z... The LCD 4Z wins on HugoTT/MScaler BUT it falls apart on the cube. The 4Z special effect is the chunky flavour whic the Kann and I believe any Dap cannot power... being darker than the LCD 24 the 4Z falls away.

I am quite sure the LCD 24 is meant to be an Empyrean SQ on steroids.

It is truly wonderful on the Cube.

SO to recap.

TT2/Mscaler - 4Z meat special effect blooms... I love it and it beats the 24 for me.... HOWEVER some are going to prefer the 24 extra bright and a little less of the chunk....

move to DAP and it all changes.... LCD 24 wins hands down... probably the best HP for DAP in world now... no question better than empy. WIde... lush... meat (but not like 4z/TT2/Mscaler meat)

i may be keeping these. dammit

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #1,167 of 2,477
Saw you have susvarna.. how do you like compared to lcd 4z?

is there any difference between lcd 4 and 4z?

was looking at driving susvarna via xlr from tt2... you think this is enough?

I ha e the lcd 24. I think it’s much better for daps than the 4z. 4z shines with mscaler tt2 but ALL daps Hugo 2 included can’t drive them to get their special effect. The meat.. and since they are darker than the lcd 24 they tend to fall down on daps... in my case kann cube.

The Susvara is considerably more inefficient and therefore difficult to drive than any Audeze HP. I always use double 3 pin XLR's and my DHC Prion 4S cable with any HP. The cables are so good they instantly improve the sound of any HP by a huge amount.

I prefer the 4Z of any other Audeze HP. I have one of the original LCD-4's which is 100 ohm impedance. I take a lot of care not to damage the drivers as that was the primary reason Audeze went to the 200 ohm version. For a while I had both versions but always gravitated to the 100 ohm version of the LCD-4. That was until the 4Z came along. I have been doing a lot of my listening with the new Abyss TC, which is by far the best version of the Abyss.

The Susvara is a very different sound to Audeze 4Z, I hope the LCD-24 is some where in between. Audeze build quality is much better than HiFiMan's. I feel that the Susvara's are a delicate HP and I am just waiting for the plug inputs to fail. In fact it the HP industry should adopt a standard connection for high end HP's something built around the Audeze or Abyss connection. A standard lemo connection would be best.

Could you please post some photos of your LCD-24's. Are they the same as shown on the positive feedback review?

Aug 25, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #1,168 of 2,477
I am quite sure the LCD 24 is meant to be an Empyrean SQ on steroids.

In what way do they sound like Empy's on steroids? I have the Empy now and wonder how close they would be to the 24?

Aug 25, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #1,169 of 2,477
Agreed on the 4Z sound presentation. Its not the most realistic interpretation of most sound genres.. but damn, it sounds phantastic with its superb resolution and the big, meaty sound enveloping you! And for some genres i find it to be close to perfect. Electronic Music is a dream come true, alltough personally i need my EQ with this thing.

And yea, wouldnt hurt if Audeze improved weight and added pad-interchangability.

Aug 25, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,170 of 2,477
Does anyone else own the 24 besides mightyKyn?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back