Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2019 at 9:34 PM Post #1,141 of 2,476
Couldn't agree more. I have worn every Audeze headphone I have owned (2c, 3c, X, 4z) for literally hours even up to 20 hours straight while studying price charts or airbrushing etc. and I have never once had any adverse reaction or anything at all happen to my neck. I just do not understand what in the heck all these supposed men are bitching about. Been reading about this weight thing for years and it seems ridiculous to me. Now if they weighed 20 lbs or something like that, then yeah I could understand weight concerns. But GRAMS?!?! Meh, non-issue.

Nobody said anything about it hurting our necks. We said they’re uncomfortable, as in, they never disappear. You always know you’re wearing headphones. As a former 4Z owner, I wouldn’t call them absolutely uncomfortable, but they’re certainly, relatively, next to the likes of the 800S, Empyrean, or any high end Hifiman offering.

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,142 of 2,476
OK that I can certainly understand. True they never do "disappear" and that may bug some people. Like driving along in my truck and continually hearing a faint little rattle somewhere; that just kills me until i find it and stop it! So if the weight of a headphone is like that to some people, I can finally get it.

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #1,143 of 2,476
Nobody said anything about it hurting our necks. We said they’re uncomfortable, as in, they never disappear. You always know you’re wearing headphones. As a former 4Z owner, I wouldn’t call them absolutely uncomfortable, but they’re certainly, relatively, next to the likes of the 800S, Empyrean, or any high end Hifiman offering.
Girly man

You think SHE is complaining about a 4Z. Give it a break. a-woman-balancing-a-black-plastic-bowl-on-her-head-with-bananas-and-B2EKNY.jpg

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #1,145 of 2,476
brighter and more resolution... but gives up a bit in meaty dept. after breaks in more may change.. only about 15 hrs on them.

doubt it will equal 4z/4 entirely meat wise.... but I can see this sig hitting the sweet spot for many

So which one do you think you are going to keep? From your impressions it seems like you are leaning towards the 4z. Which I find a bit odd as you were recommending genelec studio monitors that are aimed a true resolution.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #1,146 of 2,476
So which one do you think you are going to keep? From your impressions it seems like you are leaning towards the 4z. Which I find a bit odd as you were recommending genelec studio monitors that are aimed a true resolution.
yes i am aiming leaning toward the 4Z

G 8341 + dual G subs are a very different animal... with this you are IN the ocean.

TBH the extra "resolution" "brightness" the 4Z has is not worth the potential trade off for the chunkiness.

I find the meatier the more "alive" the sound seems.. .almost a psychedelic thing. need to try with small dose mushrooms.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #1,147 of 2,476
Fostex TH-900, it has the best bass with great treble resolution. The treble is high up their thou.

I found that the 4Z dose not have a realistic bass representation. It sure was meaty! Full body, thick and lush. But is that realistic? No,I will say.

Nah gotta disagree with you on that about the 4z bass I find it THE most realistic bass with impact and I have heard just about all the top cans. It has a texture I have only heard in a few HP's and an impact in just about no other. Honestly that's the 4/4z's thing If you don't like it's bass no need to go near it.

yes i am aiming leaning toward the 4Z

G 8341 + dual G subs are a very different animal... with this you are IN the ocean.

TBH the extra "resolution" "brightness" the 4Z has is not worth the potential trade off for the chunkiness.

I find the meatier the more "alive" the sound seems.. .almost a psychedelic thing. need to try with small dose mushrooms.
Now I really want to hear the 24, this may be what I am looking for. I always though the 4/4z could lose a little weight in the lower midrange anyway so that the upper bass/lower midrange didn't sound so damn thick.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #1,148 of 2,476
Nah gotta disagree with you on that about the 4z bass I find it THE most realistic bass with impact and I have heard just about all the top cans. It has a texture I have only heard in a few HP's and an impact in just about no other. Honestly that's the 4/4z's thing If you don't like it's bass no need to go near it.

Now I really want to hear the 24, this may be what I am looking for. I always though the 4/4z could lose a little weight in the lower midrange anyway so that the upper bass/lower midrange didn't sound so damn thick.
sounds like you may love it based on what you are saying... goldilocks zone... the thump is there just toned down a bit

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:34 PM Post #1,149 of 2,476
4z bass I find it THE most realistic bass with impact

Really? The most realistic? I found that the 4z was too meaty and thick. Not muddy. But weighty in sound. It just felt like it wasnt natural and real. But sounded fantastic.

One thing is for sure. 4Z sound fabulous. But being natural and realistic? I have to disagree. Artificial? No. Maybe overly exaggerated in its body if that made sense.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #1,150 of 2,476
Yeah but the timbre and ambiance imparted onto the stage is so special, and on driving blues rock that bass slam so tight and clean, well yall can say whatever you want but will have to pry my 4z out of my cold dead fingers.
And that's all I have to say...I know what I like and hoping the addition of the GSX Mini with a new balanced S3 from Trevor might just put this over the top for what I listen to. Which is just about everything at one time or another LOL.
Someday, maybe Abyss TC? But until that time comes, I am perfectly content to just be slummin' right where I am thank you very much.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #1,151 of 2,476
Really? The most realistic? I found that the 4z was too meaty and thick. Not muddy. But weighty in sound. It just felt like it wasnt natural and real. But sounded fantastic.

One thing is for sure. 4Z sound fabulous. But being natural and realistic? I have to disagree. Artificial? No. Maybe overly exaggerated in its body if that made sense.
Well you are talking about what I just mentioned to mightyKyn. That the upper bass/lower mids are a little too thick. Underneath that the midbass/subbass is the bass I have heard with a lot of detail, but still full of impact. It's easy for an HP to have lot's of bass detail yet with no impact, but the 4z has both. Now if the 24 has a little less thickness yet the midbass/subbass slam remain mostly intact......with more resolution......now we're talking.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #1,152 of 2,476
Weight-wise and comfort was never an issue with the 4z for me. Like, at all. And it's good that the price is a little lower at "$3500" which still isn't cheap, but that's the cost to play in our hobby. To each their own. I will definitely try to demo the 24 when they release.

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #1,153 of 2,476
seems lighter not by much than 4z... have not weighed

but jesus christ guys... pencil necks? i have no problem wearing the 4z for hours.

certainly not as feather weight as the Z1R... but c'mon this talk about weight is insane.

The concern isn't my neck, but the sweating and heat spots covering my ears. I live in SEA, so it's hot and humid all year. Lighter = less oily for me :beyersmile: (I imagine nobody wants their $3,500 pair of headphones to be oily) With that said, if the sound really hits the spot for me then I would still consider owning them.

Aug 23, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #1,154 of 2,476
I have just ordered the 24, should be here in a week or so when it will be put on 24/7 burn in.

I will post photos and impressions.

Aug 23, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #1,155 of 2,476
I have just ordered the 24, should be here in a week or so when it will be put on 24/7 burn in.

I will post photos and impressions.

How did you order it? Its not even on Audeze site?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back