Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #1,051 of 2,479
My guess is you tried it single ended. Feed it some power with a balanced 4 pin connector and the heavens will sing. The Diana Phi also uses the same drivers as the 1266 so..... not understanding why you'd like the 1266 over the Diana unless you prefer the 2 telephone pole suspension bridge setup.

The diana phi does sound great with more detail and more even response than the 4z. Having had the diana phi for an extended period as well as the 4z I can say that they sound different the 4z is a warmer headphone.

In regards to the 1266 vs the diana phi. I went up from the diana phi to the 1266 phi tc. The tc is a better headphone by a good margin. The sound stage is much more expansive and almost speaker like. The imaging is much more precise as well. The 1266 tc is a faster headphone on or above the level of the stax sr009s. The 1266 tc also has deeper and more visceral bass with a better midrange presentation than the diana phi. I borrowed a pair yesterday thinking that I might be able to live with them instead of the 1266 but the difference is to big. There is no way to unheard the difference between the two.

The 1266 is also more comfortable for me once the fit is dialed in. They also are great for me and others that wear glasses. Just make sure they don't seal completely on your head.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #1,052 of 2,479
Do most of you use the Audeze plug in or just listen to your 4z totally without eq.

Jul 27, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #1,053 of 2,479
Do most of you use the Audeze plug in or just listen to your 4z totally without eq.
Ive setup my own EQ based on the FR graph frome audeze since the plugin cant do a tailored one. Im fine with them stock but they are much better when i negate the uppermids dip, drop 1k by a bit and satisfy my bassneeds by couple Db more :p

Jul 28, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #1,054 of 2,479
Spend some time with both... I find the Empyrean is a far more musical headphone. Just as revealing, just as much punch and detail on the bottom end but without the 1k Audeze house sound dip. I can wear the Empy for hours and never feel a hint of fatique. Every track sounds good so it's my go to for random listening when I'm working on my computer. In other words I don't have to tailor my tracks to match the headphones.

This is pretty much how I felt about the Empyrean when I tested it. First impression was "damn this is so musical." From what I still remember, the headphone ticks almost every box, just that the 4z gives a little bit punch. I have never find the 4z heavy to wear but was annoyed by the clamping force which I managed to improve it by changing the pads and added nuggets on the head band. With Empyrean, I don't think there's a need for further modification.

Jul 28, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #1,055 of 2,479
This is pretty much how I felt about the Empyrean when I tested it. First impression was "damn this is so musical." From what I still remember, the headphone ticks almost every box, just that the 4z gives a little bit punch. I have never find the 4z heavy to wear but was annoyed by the clamping force which I managed to improve it by changing the pads and added nuggets on the head band. With Empyrean, I don't think there's a need for further modification.
So you are keeping the 4z over the buying the Empyrean because it has more punch?

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #1,056 of 2,479
What is there story on the Audeze LCD-24 that has popped up on Positive Feedback?

Is this for real (it looks like it) and is it taking over as the new flagship for Audeze?

Aug 4, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #1,057 of 2,479
Aug 4, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #1,058 of 2,479
I guess this time Audeze is combining the LCD2 magnet grid (i.e. fewer rows of magnets) and the 4z diaphragm. Thus the name LCD-24.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #1,059 of 2,479
Based on the wording it seems like the LCD-24 is a higher end version of the LCDX rather than a replacement of the LCD4/4z

Aug 4, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #1,060 of 2,479
Is there a way to utilize EQ for all source files whether you tube, redbook CD recorded files, basically all audio sources? I would like to try to EQ back in the 1k dip to see if it makes a large difference in SQ.

Repeatedly read about this and wondering if it really improves SQ so much. If it does, why would Audeze tune all the headphones to do that?

Aug 4, 2019 at 8:53 AM Post #1,061 of 2,479
Is there a way to utilize EQ for all source files whether you tube, redbook CD recorded files, basically all audio sources? I would like to try to EQ back in the 1k dip to see if it makes a large difference in SQ.

Repeatedly read about this and wondering if it really improves SQ so much. If it does, why would Audeze tune all the headphones to do that?
Well, maybe Roon could get you close to that ideal, since it neatly assembles all types of files (locally ripped files, Tidal hifi files, Qobuz files--hence MQA and hi-rez files) under one manageable UI "roof," while also supplying you with both pre-EQ'd filters for Audeze headphones, including the 4z, and a parametric EQ'ing system that allows you to experiment with your own EQ settings. i think Roon brings quite a lot to the table, if you have a subscription.

Aug 4, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #1,062 of 2,479
Based on the wording it seems like the LCD-24 is a higher end version of the LCDX rather than a replacement of the LCD4/4z
If so, that supposed price of $3,500 is odd and too much. I guess we have to wait for Audeze to explain and that they better do soon. They don't want to lose control of the press on these. Never let someone else define your product.

Aug 5, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #1,064 of 2,479
To me on looks alone the LCD 24 does not look in the same league as LCD4Z & LCD4.

I guess we will find out soon enough from Audeze as to where this sits in their line up

LCD-24 is in the same leaque as LCD-4z and LCD-4 because it uses same elements as other two headphones: same fluxor magnets, same diaphragm thickness and only similarity with LCD-2 is magnetic circuit. Because that means less magnets therefore the price is also lower. On the other hand, less magnets means more space between them, less obstruction for sound waves and less overall weight . Small difference in efficiency is compensated with more transparency and 15 ohms impedance brings all advantages that LCD-4z has. In other words. another member of the same family with slightly different flavor. Some people will prefer it over others and for them lower price is a potential bargain.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #1,065 of 2,479
LCD-24 is in the same leaque as LCD-4z and LCD-4 because it uses same elements as other two headphones: same fluxor magnets, same diaphragm thickness and only similarity with LCD-2 is magnetic circuit. Because that means less magnets therefore the price is also lower. On the other hand, less magnets means more space between them, less obstruction for sound waves and less overall weight . Small difference in efficiency is compensated with more transparency and 15 ohms impedance brings all advantages that LCD-4z has. In other words. another member of the same family with slightly different flavor. Some people will prefer it over others and for them lower price is a potential bargain.

What is the sound signature for the LCD 24? Is it brighter, warmer than the LCD4/4z? Could you post an FR graph?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back