Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #736 of 2,477
Last night was on a live stream on Youtube, the 4Z was discussed. It was mentioned by one person, a reviewer, that the 4Z, in relation to the 4, trades off a lot of treble and air detail in exchange for being easier to drive and another person mentioned that the treble is a little grainy. Would any of you owners, former owners agree with any of these statements?

Apr 14, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #737 of 2,477
Last night was on a live stream on Youtube, the 4Z was discussed. It was mentioned by one person, a reviewer, that the 4Z, in relation to the 4, trades off a lot of treble and air detail in exchange for being easier to drive and another person mentioned that the treble is a little grainy. Would any of you owners, former owners agree with any of these statements?

currawong or josh?

Apr 14, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #738 of 2,477

The problem is that different 4's sound a bit different and I think they even had different Ohm versions. At any rate, from what I've heard the 4's had a bit more of a treble hole where the 4z is a bit better in that regard with still being smooth treble.

Apr 15, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #739 of 2,477
currawong or josh?

It was Josh's livestream with metal571 making the comment. He likes the 4, but not the 4Z.

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #740 of 2,477

I cant share this opinion at all.. if anything the 4z has more present treble.. and no bit of grain on the 2 units i heard. I can maybe see more air but its a tiny amount if any..

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #741 of 2,477
I cant share this opinion at all.. if anything the 4z has more present treble.. and no bit of grain on the 2 units i heard. I can maybe see more air but its a tiny amount if any..
Same here. Definitely not hearing grainy and there’s plenty of treble details on my set. I would echo a little bit more air which I personally appreciate over the LCD4

Apr 17, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #742 of 2,477

No discernible "grain" anywhere in the presentation that I am aware of. My 4z is really very clean and accurate far as I can tell. Plus there is a LOT more to it than that. There are several potential problem items upstream, like possible USB noise riding on the digital, noise on the power supply line, a noisy source, just to name a few. Proper discernment of "grain" could be purely someone's opinion influenced by personal hearing factors, which another person would not define that way at all. If that makes sense. Why some reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt I think.

Apr 18, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #743 of 2,477
Just listened to the Empyrean at Audio sanctuary. They are really nice. Deciding on them or 4Z is gonna be tough!

IMusicman, which has the more ‘holographic’ imaging and resolution? I’m guessing Empyrean?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #744 of 2,477
Just listened to the Empyrean at Audio sanctuary. They are really nice. Deciding on them or 4Z is gonna be tough!

IMusicman, which has the more ‘holographic’ imaging and resolution? I’m guessing Empyrean?
Well, really no experience with Meze, I'm a proud lcd4Z owner. What I can say is that Audeze customer service is top notch. Something to consider when paying extremely large funds for a headphone.

Guy

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #745 of 2,477

Overall id probably give this to the Empyrean but for me it really is splitting hairs. I don't want to complicate things for you any further when you are probably just looking for a definitive answer but I do believe there are so many variables to take into consideration with this question such as individual songs, cables, pads, source etc. Bottom line is they all seem to make a difference. Sometimes I hear something in the music more clearly on the Empyrean, other times its on the 4Z. Resolution on both is top notch.
I would commit to saying that I think the Empyrean has a slightly wider more holographic soundstage.

Hope this helps

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #749 of 2,477
Its more comfortable than prior/other Audeze headphones but less comfortable than a lot of other headphones on the market.

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #750 of 2,477
Its more comfortable than prior/other Audeze headphones but less comfortable than a lot of other headphones on the market.

After you wear HIFIMAN Arya once, you kind of feel that LCD series are large, but then again, the soft and puffy earpads of LCD-series, and if using the headband properly, you should get good comfort with audeze as well. I agree that there's more comfy stuff out there... But there are less comfortable flagships out there as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back