Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #721 of 2,477
You probably went too far saying that, as if they were the only ones in the market. There are many people using them, but that doesn´t mean there are many others using Senns, Focals etc. When you have an Audi you see people driving Audis everywhere. I just said I experimented with both and couldn´t PERSONALLY see them having advantages over the HD 800S. Hey! I have an opinion of my own. Reminds me of Apple users (which I am too), one does not mean the other is bad, they are just different, and depending of your taste and your goals you may see one fit your needs better than the other, but going as far as saying that they are "THE high end headphones to have" sounds ridiculous IMHO. Sooo many great headphones out there... the problem would be not experimenting and just following the trends à la Yamaha NS10.

When I said THE, that was not to say the only high end HP’s..... that was to say some of the most desired HP’s. They are given as the upgrade HP for the HD600, 650 and Beyers and occasionally HD800’s in studios.

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #723 of 2,477
I am still trying to get a sonic picture of the 4Z. I am seeing varying sonic descriptions of these HP's. Is it brighter on warmer than a 4?

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #724 of 2,477
Well.
I had to share.
I got a Norne Audio Silvergrade S3 today for my LCD4z.
Without heating up the already scalding hot debate of the effect cables have on SQ I would just say that I hear a very significant difference.
Separation has gone up a notch, highs are more extended and soundstage seem wider. I went back and forth between the stock cable and the S3 and I noticed the same difference between different tracks.
This is not a blinded test, and I may well be experiencing expectation bias or the stock cable really is defective BUT - I totally and utterly prefer to listen with the new cable.
Call it psychoacoustics, call it pseudo-science or science-fiction but I feel like my LCD4z's have just been upgraded (not an easy feat).

I would also add that Trevor from Norne Audio is really a wonderful guy to be doing business with and their customer service has been impeccable.
To be clear, I really have no business affiliation with Norne Audio or any hidden agenda.
It is not a cheap cable, as all pure silvers are, but again - I just upgraded my 4z's for a reasonable price.

My 0.2 cents on headphone cables.

Guy

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #725 of 2,477
Well.
I had to share.
Without heating up the already scalding hot debate of the effect cables have on SQ I would just say that I hear a very significant difference.
Separation has gone up a notch, highs are more extended and soundstage seem wider. I went back and forth between the stock cable and the S3 and I noticed the same difference between different tracks.
This is not a blinded test, and I may well be experiencing expectation bias or the stock cable really is defective BUT - I totally and utterly prefer to listen with the new cable.
Call it psychoacoustics, call it pseudo-science or science-fiction but I feel like my LCD4z's have just been upgraded (not an easy feat).

I would also add that Trevor from Norne Audio is really a wonderful guy to be doing business with and their customer service has been impeccable.
To be clear, I really have no business affiliation with Norne Audio or any hidden agenda.
It is not a cheap cable, as all pure silvers are, but again - I just upgraded my 4z's for a reasonable price.

Guy

I am in no doubt cables make a difference esp on TOTL headphones. I experienced exactly the same effect with my Utopia and Lazuli Reference vs stock. A clear upgrade IMHO. With my 4Z I swapped out the stock cable temporarily with a balanced 2.5 that I have with my Empyrean. Both these headphones with the balanced cable show improvements vs stock. Colour me a believer!

Mar 30, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #726 of 2,477
V9x58Pa.png

This is just amazing with the 4Z...brahms fans - listen to it now.

G

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #727 of 2,477
Well.
I had to share.

Guy

Trevor makes great cables, at a reasonable (compaired to competitive Cables) price. In addition, he’s a great guy and a pleasure to do business with, no agenda, personal experience and feelings.

Apr 3, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #729 of 2,477
For those using their LCD-4Z with SP1000, how do you like the combo?
Did you need to buy a custom 2.5 balanced cable?

Im using the 4Z & SP1000SS pairing and to me it sounds great either as a stand alone DAP or using the SP1000 as a USB DAC via iMac & JRiver. For the majority of time Ive been using the standard cable but more recently Ive also been using a 2.5 balanced aftermarket cable. The cable is nothing special, unbranded and certainly not exotic. Probably from Ebay/Amazon im guessing?
That being said I would say the 2.5 bc is better than the stock to my ears, although its more of tweak than anything drastic. The first thing you notice is the volume level goes up vs the stock. This is even more noticeable on my Questyle desktop amp/dac. Once you allow for the volume adjustment I would say the bass tightens up slightly and also the slam goes up a notch or two. Voices come ever so slightly more forward in the presentation. Theres also slightly more air in the top end with a slightly wider soundstage and its a bit more holographic, three dimensional if you will. I don't know if its the cable or the 2.5 balanced Jack making these subtle differences or the combination of both but the overall presentation also seems to have a bit more clarity.
To hopefully answer you question more directly "do you need a balanced 2.5 cable" The answer would have to be no you don't! The stock cable is very good, however I personally would recommend getting one if you want to fully utilise your DAP/4Z to its full potential.

Hope this helps

Apr 13, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #730 of 2,477
I am in no doubt cables make a difference esp on TOTL headphones. I experienced exactly the same effect with my Utopia and Lazuli Reference vs stock. A clear upgrade IMHO. With my 4Z I swapped out the stock cable temporarily with a balanced 2.5 that I have with my Empyrean. Both these headphones with the balanced cable show improvements vs stock. Colour me a believer!
Hi, i’m considering the 4Z and Empyrean. Which do you prefer and why? I’d love to see a detailed comparison of the two. I’ve just come back from listening to the 4z and Focal Utopia. I probably prefer the 4Z, but it was difficult and I think i’d need to own both to make a definitive choice.

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #731 of 2,477
Hi, i’m considering the 4Z and Empyrean. Which do you prefer and why? I’d love to see a detailed comparison of the two. I’ve just come back from listening to the 4z and Focal Utopia. I probably prefer the 4Z, but it was difficult and I think i’d need to own both to make a definitive choice.

I can understand your dilemma. I used to own the Utopia before owning the 4Z & the Empyrean. All 3 are fantastic headphones and IMHO all 3 fall into end game territory. I prefer the 4Z over the Empyrean, however it is by the smallest of margins and the only reason I don't keep both is because I find them to be more similar than dissimilar which means I can't warrant them being in my small stable of headphones. If one was closed back or portable or different in some more defining way then I would absolutely keep both as they both really do sound fantastic.

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #732 of 2,477
i have had the utopia a couple of different times and had the empyrean for a brief time...i liked it alot...very nice looking and comfortable but to me the 4z is best of the 3...just my 2 cents

Apr 13, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #734 of 2,477
agreed, no bad choices among the 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back