Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
May 10, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #211 of 2,477
I've had my 4Z's for two weeks now. I no longer have the LCD-4's to directly compare but I do have LCDi4's, LCD-XC and recent memories of the LCD-4's. Digging into FR graphs does very little for me and does not represent what I hear from the 4Z's. To my ears, the 4Z sound like the love child of the LCD-4's and Utopias. Two HP's with very different personalities but each with class leading characteristics, as well as qualities that ultimately led me to sell them. They are more transparent than the 4's and nearly as clear as the Utopias. The soundstage is more in line with the Utopias but imaging is so amazingly precise it is not an issue. I only (other then for demo purposes) listen to classical/acoustic music where mid and treble detail is everything to me. These seem exceptionally detailed yet still organic, buttery smooth and analog sounding without being warm.

FR can be miss leading and it would be a shame for someone to pass on these without taking them for a spin first. The fact that they are so amazingly efficient and light(er) is a plus as well. For reference, I listen to these around -33 dB's, the LCDi4's at -25 dB's and the LCD-4's around -12 dB... I always felt headroom was an issue with the LCD-4's and to sound their best they needed ample clean power. The 4Z's are very revealing of the source but power is no longer an issue...

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #212 of 2,477
I've had my 4Z's for two weeks now. I no longer have the LCD-4's to directly compare but I do have LCDi4's, LCD-XC and recent memories of the LCD-4's. Digging into FR graphs does very little for me and does not represent what I hear from the 4Z's. To my ears, the 4Z sound like the love child of the LCD-4's and Utopias. Two HP's with very different personalities but each with class leading characteristics, as well as qualities that ultimately led me to sell them. They are more transparent than the 4's and nearly as clear as the Utopias. The soundstage is more in line with the Utopias but imaging is so amazingly precise it is not an issue. I only (other then for demo purposes) listen to classical/acoustic music where mid and treble detail is everything to me. These seem exceptionally detailed yet still organic, buttery smooth and analog sounding without being warm.

FR can be miss leading and it would be a shame for someone to pass on these without taking them for a spin first. The fact that they are so amazingly efficient and light(er) is a plus as well. For reference, I listen to these around -33 dB's, the LCDi4's at -25 dB's and the LCD-4's around -12 dB... I always felt headroom was an issue with the LCD-4's and to sound their best they needed ample clean power. The 4Z's are very revealing of the source but power is no longer an issue...

Could you comment on the listening experience with the i4 vs the 4z? What is your chain for the i4, if you don't mind my asking? I have been considering both headphones but the FR graph on the 4Z is putting me off, as I really like the energy of the signature of the LCD-X. I also own an iSine 20 that I greatly enjoy for its holographic imaging and extreme levels of detail. That said, I feel like the iSine 20 gets smoked in a head to head comparison with the LCD-X in terms of the level of presentation immersion. Thank you so much in advance for any color you can provide.

May 10, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #213 of 2,477
I can tell you this - if you need more mids than the 4s provide...you aren't going to be satisfied by most headphones, and probably enjoy brightness...I don't miss a thing on my 4s. I wouldn't want the FR to be anything different than exactly what it is. The moment I first heard these, it felt "right" - it felt like exactly what I wanted music to sound like to my ears. They sound exactly like I wanted them to, except even better. Have had mine for nearly a year and a half. And I used to own a pair of HD700s, so I know what the opposite end of the spectrum sounds like.

Really do want to hear a pair of 4Zs just out of curiosity, but my iFi Pro iCan has more than enough power for anything, so I don't really have a need for them. Would probably want closed-back for something I take out of the house anyway. But I sure do love the way they look...

I'm listening to an extremely well-produced deep house (real deep house, not the trap/dubstep kids are calling 'deep house' these days" on my 4s right now, and as others have said...the layering and separation really is amazing. I know there's headphones with even bigger soundstages, but I don't really have a need for that...and I sure wouldn't give up this beautiful sound signature for anything.

May 10, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #214 of 2,477
Could you comment on the listening experience with the i4 vs the 4z? What is your chain for the i4, if you don't mind my asking? I have been considering both headphones but the FR graph on the 4Z is putting me off, as I really like the energy of the signature of the LCD-X. I also own an iSine 20 that I greatly enjoy for its holographic imaging and extreme levels of detail. That said, I feel like the iSine 20 gets smoked in a head to head comparison with the LCD-X in terms of the level of presentation immersion. Thank you so much in advance for any color you can provide.
The difference you experience between the iSine20 and LCD-X is probably about the same difference as the i4's vs 4Z's. It's really hard to say one is better than the other, it's just a different form factor and the delivery is different. I run both off a Chord Dave in my primary set up and Hugo 2 for my secondary and transportable. Purely from a total experience standpoint, meaning if practicality for travel etc does not come into play, I would choose the 4Z's over the i4's. No matter how amazing the i4's sound there's just something I prefer about the experience of a full size HP that is more immersive and seamless but it ultimately comes down to mood and music selection. The i4's deliver 90% of the full size HP sound but you can easily forget you're even wearing them and it's a very relaxing and comfortable feeling. My point, I see it as more of a form factor decision. The 4Z's seem to have a more organic presentation that really pulls me into the music and imaging may be a little better but it's a matter of preference and a product of how the sound is actually delivered to your ears.

May 10, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #215 of 2,477
The difference you experience between the iSine20 and LCD-X is probably about the same difference as the i4's vs 4Z's. It's really hard to say one is better than the other, it's just a different form factor and the delivery is different. I run both off a Chord Dave in my primary set up and Hugo 2 for my secondary and transportable. Purely from a total experience standpoint, meaning if practicality for travel etc does not come into play, I would choose the 4Z's over the i4's. No matter how amazing the i4's sound there's just something I prefer about the experience of a full size HP that is more immersive and seamless but it ultimately comes down to mood and music selection. The i4's deliver 90% of the full size HP sound but you can easily forget you're even wearing them and it's a very relaxing and comfortable feeling. My point, I see it as more of a form factor decision. The 4Z's seem to have a more organic presentation that really pulls me into the music and imaging may be a little better but it's a matter of preference and a product of how the sound is actually delivered to your ears.
Ha ha. Alright. This is increasing the level of 4z temptation. Thank you very much (both of you!) for sharing your thoughts.

May 10, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #216 of 2,477
the FR graph on the 4Z is putting me off
I'll also add that all of this talk about FR graphs is what led me to post my brief impressions to start with. I apply EQ to all of my headphones and am always dumbfounded that some are opposed to that. I get that DSP is not always practical with certain rigs but it's well worth the effort. I don't see it as correcting a problem. Audeze is delivering amazing technology that takes EQ exceptionally well. It provides a blank canvas to shape the tone to fit the needs of each individual. If you're not using Roon I would highly suggest you give it a try. The Audeze plug-ins couldn't be any easier and they sound amazing. That said, I really do not think the 4Z's require EQ but I really prefer the i4's with the plug-in.

May 18, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #218 of 2,477
IMG_20180518_181712_347.jpg First and foremost I would like to thank God and my momma, lol just kidding.
I have joined the Audeze family courtesy:
THE SOURCE A/V out of Torrance, CA!
They are the best bar none, price, service, everything that helps you sleep at night knowing your investment is safe. Contact @TSAVJason , @TSAVAlan. They are the best. Thank you guys for helping me once again with my audio addiction. It's the good sht lol

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #219 of 2,477
First and foremost I would like to thank God and my momma, lol just kidding.
I have joined the Audeze family courtesy:
THE SOURCE A/V out of Torrance, CA!
They are the best bar none, price, service, everything that helps you sleep at night knowing your investment is safe. Contact @TSAVJason , @TSAVAlan. They are the best. Thank you guys for helping me once again with my audio addiction. It's the good sht lol
Great looking cans!!

May 18, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #221 of 2,477
I love soundstage. Like I said, Audeze does so much right. The 4 sounds like it would be my dream headphone if it just had a little more upper mids and treble extension. Other than that, it really sounds perfect to me. Sigh.

Makes me wonder how you'd feel about the Stax SR-009S and the HiFiMan SUSVARA.

May 19, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #223 of 2,477
They do indeed look awesome, congrats bro! I have the baby LCD-2C but one day I’ll work up to getting King 4Z.
Thanks dude, I love the looks more than the Utopia. I still need to upgrade my dac/amp. The mojo can drive them because they are efficient, but I feel they will get even better after an upgrade.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #224 of 2,477
I was getting bothered by the comfort on the 4z all day, until I seen that you can extend the sides all the way out. Now, they are super comfortable, with zero pressure on my sides. I got an airport sozed head lol.

May 19, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #225 of 2,477
I find the volume setting on the 4Z to be pretty much the same as the Utopia....better bass than the Utopia by a long shot....bigger soundstage.....utopia is a bit more transparent...now about the Abyss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back