Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #1,246 of 2,476
i have both susy and 24.... susvara is much better. there is really no comparison.
I have both, and enjoy both. They are very different from one another, but for my needs they complement each other nicely. They take two different approaches with their signature and have different power requirements which keeps it from being a true apples to apples comparison, so I would not personally say one is “better” than the other. I’m running them both from either HMS/TT2 (both balanced and single ended) or HMS/DAVE/Formula S + Powerman. I owned 4z as well but prefer 24. With the 24’s the detail is there, but it’s not in your face and has a smooth analog timber that is very life like. Clarity and imaging are quite impressive and the soundstage is both wide and deep without being unrealistic. I enjoyed the 4z but prefer the lighter touch and air you get from the 24’s. You can hear the Audeze DNA under the covers but they are a departure from their previous models. After just a few minor tweaks via DSP, they are exactly what I was looking for. They’ll be even better after Audeze releases the Roon filter.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #1,247 of 2,476
Wretched?!? Please... This is just wrong on so many levels. There are many awesome headphones on the market; so what is the deal with this moron having to slam the 4z? If something about those particular phones is un-settling to this person then by all means go out and buy SOMETHING ELSE. This in no way is accurate, factual, or realistic journalism relative to the audiophile world. Finally, they would not even post up my rebuttal. Who knows how many other rebuttals were conveniently dismissed?

Absolutely agree. But certain people have weird standards, take that oluv guy on YT slamming the i4 because it didnt have the exact soundsig he wanted..
Before i got the 4z, i wanted to upgrade my x and went through multiple demosessions comparing the utopia, 4 and 4z. Even had a negative bias cause i liked the 4 look much more.
I found them all roughly on par, with individual strengths.. this reviewer obviously has some weird gripe with it...

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #1,249 of 2,476
I have both, and enjoy both. They are very different from one another, but for my needs they complement each other nicely. They take two different approaches with their signature and have different power requirements which keeps it from being a true apples to apples comparison, so I would not personally say one is “better” than the other. I’m running them both from either HMS/TT2 (both balanced and single ended) or HMS/DAVE/Formula S + Powerman. I owned 4z as well but prefer 24. With the 24’s the detail is there, but it’s not in your face and has a smooth analog timber that is very life like. Clarity and imaging are quite impressive and the soundstage is both wide and deep without being unrealistic. I enjoyed the 4z but prefer the lighter touch and air you get from the 24’s. You can hear the Audeze DNA under the covers but they are a departure from their previous models. After just a few minor tweaks via DSP, they are exactly what I was looking for. They’ll be even better after Audeze releases the Roon filter.

From your impression :

Thick & Rich (LCD-4Z) --- Sweet Spot in Between (LCD-24) --- Neutral & Spacious (Susvara)

Something like that?

Sep 14, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #1,250 of 2,476
May I ask what made you ultimately picked the 4z over the regular 4? (or MX4 in case that you wanted an X upgrade)

I didnt think the mx4 was a noticable stepup over my x tbh. Maybe bit more speed but i was more into the 4z and 4.
I have trouble nailing the difference on 4 and 4z till today honestly lol. The 4z had an overall more aggressive character to its sound, even tho they have mostly the same FR.. i really cant explain it, but the 4z gave me exactly that high resolution super engaging sound i loved, moreso than the 4. Im thinking the Aluminium housing must play a big role and obviously the sensitivity. The 4 definitely sounded more relaxed.

I can totally see tho why people wouldnt like the 4z.. i would never wip it out for classical or chill music. But metal, edm is gonna take you on a ride.. also compared the susvara fair bit and its a bit ahead on most technicalities, mostly stage. its way airier and pushed back. I wouldnt ever say its "better" but fits more genres i think and for recordings with a lot of space for example...Yea its gonna trash the 4z..

All depends on your musical tastes.. havent heard a can sofar that is perfect for all genres..

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #1,251 of 2,476
From your impression :

Thick & Rich (LCD-4Z) --- Sweet Spot in Between (LCD-24) --- Neutral & Spacious (Susvara)

Something like that?
That’s a good summary. I’ll add, all three have genre dependent strengths. I primarily listen to acoustic/classical which is why 4z is last on the list of the three, but the 4z would be my choice for rock or blues.

Sep 15, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #1,252 of 2,476
Any quick comparisons between the Meze Empyrean and the 4Z? I currently have the Empyrean, but been very curious about the higher end Audeze models, and like the looks of the 4Z. Also contemplating keeping Empy and grabbing i4 for travel.

I find the Meze a tad too warm, so it seems the 4Z would potentially be more of the same - my other main can is the Utopia, which I quite enjoy.

Edit - I’ve read nearly every thread I could find comparing Empy and LCD-4/4z, seems pretty split as per usual!

Apologize for jumping the gun before reading all of the pertinent threads, but getting more up to date comparisons is always helpful.

Edit #2 - Suppose the only way to know for sure is buy one for myself - 4z will be here tomorrow. Sucks not having a place to audition all of these brutally expensive headphones/iems, but hey, part of the deal I suppose.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 11:44 PM Post #1,253 of 2,476
Any quick comparisons between the Meze Empyrean and the 4Z? I currently have the Empyrean, but been very curious about the higher end Audeze models, and like the looks of the 4Z.

snip.

Edit #2 - Suppose the only way to know for sure is buy one for myself - 4z will be here tomorrow. Sucks not having a place to audition all of these brutally expensive headphones/iems, but hey, part of the deal I suppose.

How'd the 4Z do?

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #1,254 of 2,476
How'd the 4Z do?

Still getting familiar with it - certainly sits between the Utopia and Empyrean. I don’t find it particularly dark, I fact it can get a bit too bright at times. As a complimentary headphone to Utopia, I’d say Empy is better bet, smoother/more relaxed and I find low end better by a smidge as well.

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #1,255 of 2,476
Still getting familiar with it - certainly sits between the Utopia and Empyrean. I don’t find it particularly dark, I fact it can get a bit too bright at times. As a complimentary headphone to Utopia, I’d say Empy is better bet, smoother/more relaxed and I find low end better by a smidge as well.
Wow you think the low end on the Empy is better than that of the 4z? The 4z Is known to have very tight detailed bass.....the bass on the Empy a little looser.

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #1,256 of 2,476
Wow you think the low end on the Empy is better than that of the 4z? The 4z Is known to have very tight detailed bass.....the bass on the Empy a little looser.

Perhaps a bit more mid bass? I’ve never been great at describing these things is detail like some. I do find the 4z comes across as more detailed - I also find it more aesthetically pleasing, though Empy is really well built. I find I can really crank Empy and it never gets fatiguing, where as Utopia and 4z gets a bit much as far as the highs are concerned, though certainly depends on track/recording quality.

Now the tough choice on which to keep!

Edit: Just to add, and call me crazy - I'm thinking the LCD-i4 holds its own for sure, may even be punchier. Perhaps that has to do DSP/Cypher cable tuning, and 4z with some EQ can certainly match it. Really quite impressed with the i4 as well.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #1,257 of 2,476
Perhaps a bit more mid bass? I’ve never been great at describing these things is detail like some. I do find the 4z comes across as more detailed - I also find it more aesthetically pleasing, though Empy is really well built. I find I can really crank Empy and it never gets fatiguing, where as Utopia and 4z gets a bit much as far as the highs are concerned, though certainly depends on track/recording quality.

Now the tough choice on which to keep!

Edit: Just to add, and call me crazy - I'm thinking the LCD-i4 holds its own for sure, may even be punchier. Perhaps that has to do DSP/Cypher cable tuning, and 4z with some EQ can certainly match it. Really quite impressed with the i4 as well.
Ah yes having heard the 4z and of course the Empy, I would agree the Empy has more midbass. Yes the 4z is known to be more detailed, but you also think it is brighter too? How does the weight compare on both?

Sep 26, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #1,258 of 2,476
i have done substantial A/B with susvara vs LCD 24 vs LCD 4Z... Susvara destroys LCD 24 in every way possible.

many thing better with Susvara than 4z... but 4Z still wins in bass response (using tt2 AND have no intent to buy a speaker amp to see if they out do 4z in that config - from what I hear they do - in that case they are the clear leader)

however quite sure I will be selling my brand new Susvara in the coming weeks. $3700.

anyone interested DM me to get 1st in line.

they are great... but I really think I enjoy the Bass response of the 4Z. Going to test an LCD 4. If they work the Susvara are gone.

Sep 26, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #1,259 of 2,476
M
i have done substantial A/B with susvara vs LCD 24 vs LCD 4Z... Susvara destroys LCD 24 in every way possible.

many thing better with Susvara than 4z... but 4Z still wins in bass response (using tt2 AND have no intent to buy a speaker amp to see if they out do 4z in that config - from what I hear they do - in that case they are the clear leader)

however quite sure I will be selling my brand new Susvara in the coming weeks. $3700.

they are great... but I really think I enjoy the Bass response of the 4Z. Going to test an LCD 4. If they work the Susvara are gone.
If you like a well behaved headphone with great bass, you should look into the upcoming Heddphone with ATM (air motion transformer) transducer. There is a thread here.
I found the bass equal to the LCD 4z, but I must say the bass of the 4z is no hog either, but a headphone consists of more than just base, doesn't it?

Sep 26, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #1,260 of 2,476

Having owned the 4z and now having it the original 4 and an lcd 24 on loan from a friend. I can say that the 4 and 4z are great headphones but cannot compare with the susvara or the abyss ab1266 phi tc. The abyss to me has better bass it is faster and much more resolving with a more neutral frequency response. They also destroy the audeze line up in terms of soundstage and imaging . They don't have the audeze midrange focus that some folks really like but the susvara can fill that role pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back