Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #781 of 2,477
This is why I say Audeze has a big ergonomics problem they have to solve....the overall experience of weight and clamping force on their LCD's. Talked to several people at CanJam that love the Audeze sound but said they can't stand wearing them.

They might've tried to solve this problem, but I guess they figured out in the end that it was impossible unless violating some laws of physics.
Perhaps, they need to develop a new driver from a clean slate. I suspect that something might be going on this line, not sure though.

Apr 26, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #783 of 2,477
Received a demo pair of 4Z today. Yes, they are quite weighty but I don’t experience any problem wearing them, and i’m not sure what this clamping issue might be.... At least for me they are very comfortable and I have worn them for hours today.

Honestly, ever since Audeze started using the newer suspension strap, I’ve found them all very comfortable. I can wear them all day as well. Now with the older, more traditional headband, that’s a different story.

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #784 of 2,477
They do. LCD 2, LCD 2 classic, LCD 2 closed, Mobius, Sine, X, XC, EL8, etc.

Meant LCD class HP's and the only of those that are relatively light are the 2 Classics. I have the CB's and they " feel" lighter but in actuality are really not much lighter. I spoke with Audeze and they know it's an issue. It's not with the assemblies but with the heavy magnets that they use. Which means they really have to start working with some manufacturers on advancing their magnet tech, so that they can still have their same sound and lighten their LCD's.

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #785 of 2,477
Well.
I had to share.
I got a Norne Audio Silvergrade S3 today for my LCD4z.
Without heating up the already scalding hot debate of the effect cables have on SQ I would just say that I hear a very significant difference.
Separation has gone up a notch, highs are more extended and soundstage seem wider. I went back and forth between the stock cable and the S3 and I noticed the same difference between different tracks.
This is not a blinded test, and I may well be experiencing expectation bias or the stock cable really is defective BUT - I totally and utterly prefer to listen with the new cable.
Call it psychoacoustics, call it pseudo-science or science-fiction but I feel like my LCD4z's have just been upgraded (not an easy feat).

I would also add that Trevor from Norne Audio is really a wonderful guy to be doing business with and their customer service has been impeccable.
To be clear, I really have no business affiliation with Norne Audio or any hidden agenda.
It is not a cheap cable, as all pure silvers are, but again - I just upgraded my 4z's for a reasonable price.

My 0.2 cents on headphone cables.

Guy

I second this.

I was quite disappointed when I first received the 4z because it wasn't the sound signature I was expecting, it sounded muddy and awful, but not anymore after I switch out the original cable to the S3. Loving it.

Apr 27, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #786 of 2,477
How odd to hear this. Even among those who believe cables make a difference, my impression suggests that the vast majority of these people still feel cables make subtle differences. So hearing findings that a previously awful and muddy headphone sound was elevated to the point of being suddenly great seems very unusual and far removed from the typical experience that you read about.

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #787 of 2,477
How odd to hear this. Even among those who believe cables make a difference, my impression suggests that the vast majority of these people still feel cables make subtle differences. So hearing findings that a previously awful and muddy headphone sound was elevated to the point of being suddenly great seems very unusual and far removed from the typical experience that you read about.

Exactly my thoughts when I read it.

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #788 of 2,477

Exactly. Because it’s total BS. Smh.

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #789 of 2,477
Opens up the window of incredulity daresay even credibility? Personally I have found that with the hybrid copper-silver Solvine, all the pure silver I have tried (Toxic Silver Widow, Therium) that the cables have not really yielded all that much sonic improvement in any category, possibly very minimal if at all discernible positive changes versus the stock copper cabling provided. IMHO. I think a lot of the main benefit is in ergonomics and bling. Now the benefits in ergonomics can be huge. For example the Solvine cable I have on my 4z (or X if I use that one) provides awesome conductivity and the 4z sounds incredible with it. BUT it sounded awesome with the stock cable too. I suspect that peeps spend all this money on cables, so they want so badly to believe they are getting something really tangible for all that money, so they tell their brain "This Is All That" and so it is. The real deal is that a stock cable (assuming no defects) is a very very good conductor, and an aftermarket cable is an extremely good conductor AND usually will have beautiful craftsmanship and much superior ergonomics. Now having said all this, [common sense stuff] there are going to be the inevitable peeps who get their panties all in a wad and that's OK. The beauty of this endeavor to realize the absolute best possible sound reproduction is that "thou can do as thou wilt" and believe what you want to believe.

BTW when it is time to go full balanced, I will be getting Trevor to make me up some Silvergarde cables for my i4 and 4z. Do I expect some other-worldly performance up grade? Nah not at all. BUT I do know they will allow the headphones to work at best potential, and I know they look and perform beautifully. Good enough. One can obviously waste money on worse things.

Apr 27, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #790 of 2,477
BTW when it is time to go full balanced, I will be getting Trevor to make me up some Silvergarde cables for my i4 and 4z. Do I expect some other-worldly performance up grade? Nah not at all. BUT I do know they will allow the headphones to work at best potential, and I know they look and perform beautifully. Good enough. One can obviously waste money on worse things.

While we are on the topic, see the recent conversation we had in the Empyrean thread where we established that SE does not mean that the full potential is not realized. It is the case only on an amp that has both balanced and SE and the SE provides less power / is an inferior implementation. If the SE amp was done for SE it can bring out the best potential just as well. I don't want to open this can here... but if curious read in that thread as there were quite a few knowledgeable people posting.

Apr 27, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #791 of 2,477
While we are on the topic, see the recent conversation we had in the Empyrean thread where we established that SE does not mean that the full potential is not realized. It is the case only on an amp that has both balanced and SE and the SE provides less power / is an inferior implementation. If the SE amp was done for SE it can bring out the best potential just as well. I don't want to open this can here... but if curious read in that thread as there were quite a few knowledgeable people posting.

I second this. Given that the lcd4z and lcd4i are pretty efficient headphones, converting gears into full balanced would not much help.
End results, I suspect, would be very little improvement with tons of money spent.

Apr 27, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #792 of 2,477
I second this. Given that the lcd4z and lcd4i are pretty efficient headphones, converting gears into full balanced would not much help.
End results, I suspect, would be very little improvement with tons of money spent.

Why I have not been in any hurry to go balanced. To me, seems like if i am going to go there, might as well do it right with full balance from dac to headphones. Plus what i have now sounds so end game TOTL in a small package that it really makes no sense to spend big bucks to get "balanced" bragging rights. Now if doing so would just be a quantum leap, well then that would be different.

A critical listen to 4z with this dac/amp and Solvine sounds so organically beautiful there really is no pressing need to get upgraded components at this time.

Apr 27, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #793 of 2,477
so end game TOTL in a small package

I agree with this.

I came to the conclusion that the future of this hobby should be heading towards portability and easy to drive headphones.

If I can use a cellphone to drive any headphone at 4Z caliber, its a win-win end game territory.

All these powerful amps will most likey be a yesterday thing of the past. Easy to drive and Bluetooth technology is the future.

If Audeze releases a 4ZB (Bluetooth version) its next to game over!

Example, Hifiman is already stepping it up

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #794 of 2,477
I agree with this.

I came to the conclusion that the future of this hobby should be heading towards portability and easy to drive headphones.

If I can use a cellphone to drive any headphone at 4Z caliber, its a win-win end game territory.

All these powerful amps will most likey be a yesterday thing of the past. Easy to drive and Bluetooth technology is the future.

If Audeze releases a 4ZB (Bluetooth version) its next to game over!

I thought in the same way. The catch is that cellphone manufacturers are eliminating the headphone jack.
Bluetooth technology seems a viable option, as Hifiman just released Ananda bluetooth, but I wonder how headphone manufacturers will implement a digital-to-analog converter inside a headphone. One advantage might be that an individual manufacturer might be able to customize a DAC catering to an individual product. But that may push up the cost of production.

Apr 27, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #795 of 2,477
implement a digital-to-analog converter inside a headphone

The answer is going HE-1 route. Trickle down tech.

Each headphone will have buit in dacs and amps inside of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back