Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Jun 4, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #301 of 2,477
According to Audeze it has enough magic fairy dust to be worth $600. LOL! Mine came with the single ended cable and I bought the balanced LCD-4 cable from them separately.

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #302 of 2,477
Does anyone know what the stock 4z cable is made from material wise? Copper, silver, etc? I have a pair coming tomorrow. Any recommended cables for an iBasso DX200 w/ amp4?

DX200 + AMP4S is surely a great source for your music.

I recommend silver cables if you can find any, it should bring up more air and more upper midrange / Emotional emphasis, and even out with AMP4S's more smooth nature :)

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #303 of 2,477
Quick first impressions on the 4z = amazing. Truly insane. The ONLY downside, and it is a big downside for me, is longterm comfort. Is anyone else having any issues?

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #304 of 2,477
Don't these come with the new suspension headband? If so, they should be fairly comfortable. Supposedly some lighter than the LCD4 also IIRC.
I just bought a suspension headband for my LCD-X and find they are quite a bit more comfortable now with no generated hotspots on top of the head. Any more on the SQ, stage, separation, bass depth and punch, airiness, detail, all that good stuff? Trying to form a mental picture to compare with how my LCD-X sound to plan for possibly someday acquiring a 4Z of my very own... =)

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #305 of 2,477
Quick first impressions on the 4z = amazing. Truly insane. The ONLY downside, and it is a big downside for me, is longterm comfort. Is anyone else having any issues?

I haven't noticed any issues, and I am wearing MX4 while taking a walk and while working, so a few hours each day, literally zero issues :)

I would advice taking them off once per hour and stretching your neck, since I am not having issues, but now I am somewhat well build 1.80 man, so if you don't do a lot of working out, maybe it would be best to stretch your neck muscles from time to time :)

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #306 of 2,477
My neck is fine, mostly a hotspot on the top of my head combined with some clamping pressure.

Dynamics are great, @commtrd - really, really good. They're not terribly airy to be honest, but they sound very realistic and true to life. The bass is the best I've heard in a headphone. The mids are sweet and detailed, and the highs have lots of detail but never harsh.

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #307 of 2,477
My neck is fine, mostly a hotspot on the top of my head combined with some clamping pressure.

Dynamics are great, @commtrd - really, really good. They're not terribly airy to be honest, but they sound very realistic and true to life. The bass is the best I've heard in a headphone. The mids are sweet and detailed, and the highs have lots of detail but never harsh.

Oh, I see :)

I don't get much of a hotspot with them - like at all. The suspension band really does the trick for me

As for the clamping pressure, I haven't noticed it to be quite that high, nowhere near HD660S which has quite a bit of clamping, buty which is still pretty comfy :)

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #310 of 2,477
FWIW, I also have a massive head. Size 8 1/4th in baseball hat. Like alien sized. I suspect all of my issues are from my large brain. :wink:

I see...

George when will you review the 4Z? Would be great to contrast with the MX4 as well...

I promise to look into it when I can :)

I'm also very curious how they compare, since LCD-4Z sounds like pretty much the ultimate headpone if money is no object, period :)

Please don't mind me, but I am using LCD-MX4 in public, so I don't mind open headphones used in the public.

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #311 of 2,477
I've had a LOT of headphones over the years, mostly TOTL high-end stuff and the 4z is by far the best. I've posted for sale just to see if anyone bites but I don't mind keeping them. I hope over time my massive head adjusts to them. They sound ****ing unreal. Spacial cues and imaging is really, really good.

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #312 of 2,477
I've had a LOT of headphones over the years, mostly TOTL high-end stuff and the 4z is by far the best. I've posted for sale just to see if anyone bites but I don't mind keeping them. I hope over time my massive head adjusts to them. They sound ****ing unreal. Spacial cues and imaging is really, really good.
Is there any space between the suspension band and the carbon fiber when you’re wearing it? Many have had to shorten the leather band about 3/4 in. to have it truly act as a suspension band. Before that, the hot spot was unbearable. Now, zero comfort issues.

Jun 5, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #313 of 2,477
I am not sure these are suspension band, are they? The carbon fiber essentially sits on my head. IMG_8527.jpg

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #315 of 2,477
I am not sure these are suspension band, are they? The carbon fiber essentially sits on my head.
Yes, that’s your problem. Audeze has a write-up on how to shorten the band if you contact support. This is the result:

329B1B7C-12AB-4DF9-83BF-3F5A31493D51.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back