Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Jun 5, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #316 of 2,476
Oh, that looks awesome! I will email them. Thanks, guys! I LOVE the sound. Truly. It's just so natural. I don't feel like any range is emphasized and I can finally just enjoy the music, not the gear.

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #317 of 2,476
Any know if the 4z and 4 use the same ear pads? They’re great and plush but I need maybe a few mm more thickness. My ears lightly touch the drivers. Any suggestions how to fix? I have a Lohb band on the way, and I will try to fix the headband issue. My head is getting used to them though and they sound SO good holy ****.

Jun 9, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #319 of 2,476
Any know if the 4z and 4 use the same ear pads? They’re great and plush but I need maybe a few mm more thickness. My ears lightly touch the drivers. Any suggestions how to fix? I have a Lohb band on the way, and I will try to fix the headband issue. My head is getting used to them though and they sound SO good holy ****.
Pads on the 4 are thicker than the 4Z. I’ve had them side by side

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #320 of 2,476
Really looking forward to reviewing this pair of headphones! I absolutely love the LCD-4s and I'm very curious to hear just how these compare...looks-wise, I"m already a fan!

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #321 of 2,476
I emailed Audeze and they said the pads were the same — but I don’t really believe them from my time with the 4. The 4z seems more angled, thinner in the front and thicker in the back. Does anyone know where to source replacement 4 pads?

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #323 of 2,476

When the fazors were first introduced with the LCD3, Audeze was sending out some foam spacers for free to people with issues.
The spacers pushed in underneath the pads (diy) and give extra space for the ears.

The other thing to try is to stretch out the headband a bit before wearing them.
This will push the pads out and the drivers won't touch as it won't squeeze your head as hard.
Do it slowly and be careful not to rip off the suspension head strap.

The LCD4 doesn't touch my ears but I do this anyway, the less pressure is more comfortable long term and it opens up the sound even more.

Jun 10, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #324 of 2,476
I emailed Audeze and they said the pads were the same — but I don’t really believe them from my time with the 4. The 4z seems more angled, thinner in the front and thicker in the back. Does anyone know where to source replacement 4 pads?
I had both in hand while sitting in the Audeze listening room. Pads are thinner on the 4Z with magnesium body. If you get the 4z with wood cups it will be the same pad as the 4.

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #325 of 2,476
Have owned or currently own LCD-XC, LCD-2F, LCD-i4; the last two days I got to audition the 4z with the Hugo 2 at an excellent store in Zurich and all I could do is audibly say "wow" over and over. I have never heard an Audeze hp like this, its crazy magical stuff. They finally shut the door on me in the store so that I didn't disturb other customers! That pairing in particular was amazing- excellent value if you somehow can't afford Dave:dt880smile:.
The 4z was so good that I forgot all about what I was hearing from Susvara, HD820, and many other high end hp's I auditioned on the Dave (runs and hides).

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #326 of 2,476
I'm still loving my 4z. The ability to drive it with my phone and not being tethered to my desktop setup is a huge benefit. Also, the isine20s are a great buy as well. Eventhough they are IEMs and sound great with portable devices, they also benefit from more power.

Jun 23, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #327 of 2,476
Sure would be nice if SOMEONE would go ahead and do a full review of these headphones. It is great to read about someone who spent 15 minutes with them and say "Wow these are awesome" and that's it. No info on the infamous Audeze treble dip etc.?
For the prospective buyer looking at putting 4k into these, it would be incredibly nice if there was some credible review(s) available. Like how do the thinner pads feel? Treble response issues as reported on LCD4? Play nice with tube amplifiers? In my particular case, a full expose on the Hugo 2 / LCD4Z pairing would be just peachy to read... Is it worthwhile to get the wood cups to enable getting the thicker pads from the regular LCD4? This feedback would be so appreciated by many looking at possibly buying these headphones. Very leary of doing so, to the point I have been thinking about the ZMF Auteur dynamics as an alternative. However getting into 300 ohm impedance cans then commands amplifier upgrades to drive them properly. Seems like several guys always gush about how perfect the bass and mids on the LCD4 are then get to the treble and that just kills it. So is the 4Z going to be similarly afflicted? How similar ARE the 4Z and the LCD4? 4Z comparison with LCDi4?

Many questions no answers...

Jun 23, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #328 of 2,476
Sure would be nice if SOMEONE would go ahead and do a full review of these headphones. It is great to read about someone who spent 15 minutes with them and say "Wow these are awesome" and that's it. No info on the infamous Audeze treble dip etc.?
For the prospective buyer looking at putting 4k into these, it would be incredibly nice if there was some credible review(s) available. Like how do the thinner pads feel? Treble response issues as reported on LCD4? Play nice with tube amplifiers? In my particular case, a full expose on the Hugo 2 / LCD4Z pairing would be just peachy to read... Is it worthwhile to get the wood cups to enable getting the thicker pads from the regular LCD4? This feedback would be so appreciated by many looking at possibly buying these headphones. Very leary of doing so, to the point I have been thinking about the ZMF Auteur dynamics as an alternative. However getting into 300 ohm impedance cans then commands amplifier upgrades to drive them properly. Seems like several guys always gush about how perfect the bass and mids on the LCD4 are then get to the treble and that just kills it. So is the 4Z going to be similarly afflicted? How similar ARE the 4Z and the LCD4? 4Z comparison with LCDi4?

Many questions no answers...

I might do a full review sometime in the near future, and with comparisons with LCD-MX4 as well, unsure when exactly though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back