Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #2,311 of 2,477
I agree it is hard to say. 6 months on a 36 month warranty, is what, 16%. It isn't much, but for a premium product costing over $6000 I suppose I would expect a little grace. I think what irks me the most is after searching for driver imbalance issues, and seeing just how many posts are about this issue, or driver failure, I had some realisation just how many people are impacted by this. And its from their LCD2's right up to brand new LCD5's with drivers failing out of the box, or within days, weeks or months. There's 2 pairs of LCD's for sale on my local forum and both ads have images of emails from audeze stating what the warranty period is on the replaced drivers.

They do sound good, definitely, but they seem flaky as hell quality/robustness wise. It's a shame because I liked them a lot, and it's a shame because in my searching I saw loads of people dealing with the same issue. I'm not sure how else to articulate it.

It's not just audeze. Focal and Hifiman doesn't exactly have the best track record either

I am really sorry to hear about what happened. Happens to the best of us. Your dealer should have done his due diligence and tested the item as well since it is purchased used if I remember correctly? Also to find out why it was sold in the 1st place.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #2,312 of 2,477
I was using the new Audeze pads. They have some dampening on the interior and a different shape on the outside than the Audeze pads I'm familiar with. If I had to describe the change in sound, I'd say the new stock pads seem tighter in general, and the Audeze house sound is more noticeable. The bass is a tad more loose (leans towards DD) with the Dekoni pads, but it goes deeper down, the soundstage is wider, and it's more neutral. The Dekoni pads are more comfortable as well. And I appreciate how they've narrowed the gap on the sides; it looks much cleaner.
I actually switched back to the Stock pads. I still find the Dekoni pads making the sound technically superior, but the headphone somehow lost its character. It's the main reason I listen to 90% of the time to the LCD-4z instead of my 1266 or Susvara. I can't put my finger on what exactly makes me use the 4z all the time, but it was one of my best buys in hifi.

Mar 15, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #2,313 of 2,477
I agree it is hard to say. 6 months on a 36 month warranty, is what, 16%. It isn't much, but for a premium product costing over $6000 I suppose I would expect a little grace. I think what irks me the most is after searching for driver imbalance issues, and seeing just how many posts are about this issue, or driver failure, I had some realisation just how many people are impacted by this. And its from their LCD2's right up to brand new LCD5's with drivers failing out of the box, or within days, weeks or months. There's 2 pairs of LCD's for sale on my local forum and both ads have images of emails from audeze stating what the warranty period is on the replaced drivers.

They do sound good, definitely, but they seem flaky as hell quality/robustness wise. It's a shame because I liked them a lot, and it's a shame because in my searching I saw loads of people dealing with the same issue. I'm not sure how else to articulate it.
Private message sent, please check as soon as you're able. Thanks.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 15, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #2,315 of 2,477
I actually switched back to the Stock pads. I still find the Dekoni pads making the sound technically superior, but the headphone somehow lost its character. It's the main reason I listen to 90% of the time to the LCD-4z instead of my 1266 or Susvara. I can't put my finger on what exactly makes me use the 4z all the time, but it was one of my best buys in hifi.
It is my favorite headphone as well. Incredibly dynamic, bass weight and tactility and a beautiful midrange. Not the most detailed headphone on the planet, but detailed enough that I don’t feel like anything is missing. And it just sings with my Cembalo Spring 1.

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #2,316 of 2,477
What's the difference between the 4 and 4z besides the weight?

15 ohm vs 200 ohm driver. Some subtle differences in the bass response and in the upper mids apparently. I do not have enough experience with the LCD-4 to say firsthand but this is just a consensus from what I have read

Mar 15, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #2,317 of 2,477
15 ohm vs 200 ohm driver. Some subtle differences in the bass response and in the upper mids apparently. I do not have enough experience with the LCD-4 to say firsthand but this is just a consensus from what I have read
Plus the 4 is significantly heavier. I can’t speak to their differences either. But I can say the 4z is magical.

Mar 16, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #2,318 of 2,477
What you want is the LCD4 in the 4z chassis - if you’re willing to fork out for a good amp with a lot of current which is necessary even if you decide to go with the 4z. This way the weight is brought down to an acceptable level. I think you can contact Audeze and make a special request.

Some of the sound characteristics of the 4z vs the LCD4 can be attributed by the materials used in the enclosure. Specifically the way wood vs magnesium resonate. I suspect an LCD4 in an magnesium chassis would produce a superior sound. I would love to hear one.

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #2,319 of 2,477
What you want is the LCD4 in the 4z chassis - if you’re willing to fork out for a good amp with a lot of current which is necessary even if you decide to go with the 4z. This way the weight is brought down to an acceptable level. I think you can contact Audeze and make a special request.

Some of the sound characteristics of the 4z vs the LCD4 can be attributed by the materials used in the enclosure. Specifically the way wood vs magnesium resonate. I suspect an LCD4 in an magnesium chassis would produce a superior sound. I would love to hear one.
I agree. The 4z require a decent amount of current to give their best.

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #2,320 of 2,477
I agree. The 4z require a decent amount of current to give their best.
It does require a lot of current, but when power properly the 4z is magic. I love this headphone.

Apr 14, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #2,322 of 2,477
Hello 4z lovers 😁

I enjoy my 4z very much but i think about to swap the 4z Pads to some Dekoni Fenestrated Pads.

But i am a bit afraid of the change process and how the handle the felt under the Pads? I dont want to accidentally tear oft the felt when i remove the stock Pads 😬

Is there maybe a Video where i can see the whole process?

Are the Dekoni Elite Fenestrated Pads the most recommend Pads from Dekoni for the 4z?

Thank for your help
Best
Dominik

May 26, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #2,325 of 2,477
New LCD-4z owner here, and also new to Audeze in general.

I'm very happy with them so far in terms of sound quality and comfort. This is a can with all the technicalities covered, but has the added dimensions of some additional warmth and great musicality. Really ideal. The head stage is a little bit of an adjustment as compared to my enormous sounding Hifiman cans, but the head stage is still very nice.

I am not having any problems at all with the weight during all-day sessions. They are not quite as comfortable as my Hifiman cans or HD-800 which are at the top of the comfort heap, but they are close enough that comfort is not an issue at all. In fact, I would put them in the comfortable camp, no question. This is a nice surprise as I was expecting some issues after long sessions. The headband distributes the weight for me in a way that I just don't notice them like I thought I would when I read the weight of the LCD-4z in the spec sheet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back