Audeze LCD-4z - Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #2,101 of 2,477
Actually, I wish that anyone can share their experience with the 4z regarding the amplifier that has the best synergy with the 4z. As you know 4z has a pretty low impedance at 15 ohm while has a sensitivity of 98db/1mW. While even a mobile phone can churn out decent volume on the 4z, a proper amplification will bring out the best from this Audeze unique flagship. Please do share your experience, because as a low impedance (15ohm) it is definitely has different synergize than other higher impedance planars in term of amplification matching. For example an Audeze LCD 4 at 300ohm will sound the best with most tube amps for example, while 4z I never tried with one except the hybrid WA7 which works quite fine. Any suggestion, experience, or insight is most welcome. Cheers!
The best I've heard my 4z's are on my Chord Dave, but that would be the ultimate tier. My Hugo 2 and Centrance Hifi-M8 V2 are also great pairings with the 4z's if you want to go portable. They pair very well with my iFi Zen Dac V2 and Zen Can, GX-X MK2, Formula S and I loved them on the Yulong Aquilla II.

If you are noticing the pattern the LCD-4z's sound great on just about anything. The slight warmish signature of the 4z's sound the best with neutral to brighter sounding gear in my opinion. So amps like the Headamp GS-X Mini, iFi Pro iCan, Bryston BHA-1 and some others would be a great starting point. As you climb the ladder you can consider the Violectric V550/V590 or Benchmark HPA4. There are just so many options out here. It'll come down to your preferred sound signature.

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #2,102 of 2,477
The best I've heard my 4z's are on my Chord Dave, but that would be the ultimate tier. My Hugo 2 and Centrance Hifi-M8 V2 are also great pairings with the 4z's if you want to go portable. They pair very well with my iFi Zen Dac V2 and Zen Can, GX-X MK2, Formula S and I loved them on the Yulong Aquilla II.

If you are noticing the pattern the LCD-4z's sound great on just about anything. The slight warmish signature of the 4z's sound the best with neutral to brighter sounding gear in my opinion. So amps like the Headamp GS-X Mini, iFi Pro iCan, Bryston BHA-1 and some others would be a great starting point. As you climb the ladder you can consider the Violectric V550/V590 or Benchmark HPA4. There are just so many options out here. It'll come down to your preferred sound signature.
Thanks! Chord Dave is definitely is the Ultimate tier. I am also noticing the pattern that 4z is really good with solid state amplifiers. Have you ever tried the 4z with good tube amplifier before and see if works just as good as with solid state amps?

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #2,103 of 2,477
Hi all

I've been considering going for LCD-4 recently.

Until now I didn't know about the LCD-4z. I wondered if any folks that listen to EDM and complex electronica could share thoughts on how LCD-4z compares to LCD-4?

I tried LCD-X with my Gungnir Multibit and Mjolnir 2 recently and I thought it was good but lacking in sub-bass presence and slam, and the soundstage wasn't as wide as I expected. Tbf though I only put maybe 50 hours on it before I returned it to Amazon.

Does anyone here have experience running the 4z with Gumby and MJ2?

I'm not in a position to buy LCD-4 or 4z brand new (cost) and would be looking at pre-owned only.

Thanks.
I would say that LCD 4 has one of the best bass slam in the top of the line headphone tier. The LCD 4z 2021 edition however is a step better with additional speed and control in the bass area which definitely suits EDM and complex electronica with additional big and impactful surround and enveloping sound in my opinion.

Aug 19, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #2,104 of 2,477
This might be heresy but I am shocked at how good the LCD-4z sounds directly out of an iPad Pro using the Luxury & Precision W2. I will be blunt. I don’t enjoy the LCD-4z as much as my LCD-3s. However, there is something incredible about getting amazing performance out of a headphone with such little power.

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #2,105 of 2,477
Thanks! Chord Dave is definitely is the Ultimate tier. I am also noticing the pattern that 4z is really good with solid state amplifiers. Have you ever tried the 4z with good tube amplifier before and see if works just as good as with solid state amps?
The only tube amp I had at the same time as the 4z's was the Liquid Platinum. I did not like the paring. They sound much better to my ears on solid state amps.

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #2,106 of 2,477
This might be heresy but I am shocked at how good the LCD-4z sounds directly out of an iPad Pro using the Luxury & Precision W2. I will be blunt. I don’t enjoy the LCD-4z as much as my LCD-3s. However, there is something incredible about getting amazing performance out of a headphone with such little power.
My LCD 4z can sing pretty well with A&K PEE51 connected to my Ipad Pro too. I guess this is the beauty of having a really low impedance (15ohm) headphones with relatively high sensitivity (98db). But why do you enjoy your LCD3s more than the LCD4z if I may ask?

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #2,107 of 2,477
The only tube amp I had at the same time as the 4z's was the Liquid Platinum. I did not like the paring. They sound much better to my ears on solid state amps.
Did you get the impression that with tube the 4z lose some degree of damping control especially in the bass area?

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #2,108 of 2,477

Woow! I sold my LCD-3 to go for 4z
Maybe you like the lush audio of the LCD-3?
I liked 4z more with my ADI-2 Pro, I suppose that everything goes through a matter of taste. Now I just need a DAP to decently handle these 4z

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #2,109 of 2,477
Did you get the impression that with tube the 4z lose some degree of damping control especially in the bass area?
The sound was fuzzy to me and the drivers did sound like they lost a bit of control. This was with the Liquid Platinum. This may not be the case with other tube amps. I'm more of a solid state guy to be honest.

Aug 20, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #2,110 of 2,477
Woow! I sold my LCD-3 to go for 4z
Maybe you like the lush audio of the LCD-3?
I liked 4z more with my ADI-2 Pro, I suppose that everything goes through a matter of taste. Now I just need a DAP to decently handle these 4z
Honestly like @utdeep mentioned, the 4z will perform well even with a dongle like L&P W2. Any DAP will do for the 4z, it comes down to sound preference and features that you are looking for in a DAP. I would say LCD4z is the better Headphone since it has better detail retrieval, better bass, better treble presentation. I even upgraded my LCD3 cable to Audeze Silver Premium cable to make the LCD3 more "comparable" to my 4z. The only thing LCD3 perform better is lusher vocal and thicker overall mid range and mid low. If you use tube amplifier then LCD3 is even better, whereas LCD4z will do better with other portable audio devices.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #2,112 of 2,477
Hi all

I've been considering going for LCD-4 recently.

Until now I didn't know about the LCD-4z. I wondered if any folks that listen to EDM and complex electronica could share thoughts on how LCD-4z compares to LCD-4?

I tried LCD-X with my Gungnir Multibit and Mjolnir 2 recently and I thought it was good but lacking in sub-bass presence and slam, and the soundstage wasn't as wide as I expected. Tbf though I only put maybe 50 hours on it before I returned it to Amazon.

Does anyone here have experience running the 4z with Gumby and MJ2?

I'm not in a position to buy LCD-4 or 4z brand new (cost) and would be looking at pre-owned only.

Thanks.

Once you taste (and love) the soundstage size of good dynamic driver (Verite in your case) it's hard to impress by most of planar driver presentation. None of Audeze would project that airy and expand soundstage. 4Z is your best bet for electronica though, as for me 4 is a little bit too melow for that.

Hifiman actually produce airy soundstage (HE1000SE), but soundstage is a bit unique as height is the most prominent compare to width and depth.

Hifiman Susvara and Abyss AB1266 do great airy and expansive soundstage, but not easy to create set up to optimise them, and price rather significantly higher.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #2,113 of 2,477
Thanks to everyone that replied to my earlier message regarding 4z.

@TheMiddleSky To be honest, I have not taken to the ZMF HP's as much as others have. Verite Open is special, but just not for me. I am to move it on in due course.

The Susvara & Abyss 1266 are out of my price range for now and would likely need a dac/amp change.

After I posted on this thread in the early hours (UK), I ordered LCD-4 from a UK reseller lol.

This review is what sealed it for me - https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/audeze-lcd-4-review-emotional-triggers/ This guy could be me in terms of what he looks for in a headphone, and just bit the bullet.

Only thing is, due to current stock levels, there is a 9-week wait until they come into stock. Gonna have to be patient.

Cheers and happy Friday!

Aug 21, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #2,114 of 2,477
Thanks to everyone that replied to my earlier message regarding 4z.

@TheMiddleSky To be honest, I have not taken to the ZMF HP's as much as others have. Verite Open is special, but just not for me. I am to move it on in due course.

The Susvara & Abyss 1266 are out of my price range for now and would likely need a dac/amp change.

After I posted on this thread in the early hours (UK), I ordered LCD-4 from a UK reseller lol.

This review is what sealed it for me - https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/audeze-lcd-4-review-emotional-triggers/ This guy could be me in terms of what he looks for in a headphone, and just bit the bullet.

Only thing is, due to current stock levels, there is a 9-week wait until they come into stock. Gonna have to be patient.

Cheers and happy Friday!

Congrats for the purchase! Now you have a new task: What amplifier to use :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back