Audeze LCD-4
Mar 9, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #11,943 of 11,993
Hi,
Just got my “new” LCD-4 and tried both Audeze standard (black) and premium cables (black & white).
I was quite surprised to hear a tangible difference.
The premium cable gives more air and a bit of additional sparkle to the headphone, but with less bass overall compared to the standard cable.
I understand the premium cable is silver plated which is coherent with what I heard.
But overall the standard cable is as good as the premium one. It is just a matter of preference.

Any similar experience?

Mar 9, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #11,944 of 11,993
Hi,
Just got my “new” LCD-4 and tried both Audeze standard (black) and premium cables (black & white).
The premium cable gives more air and a bit of additional sparkle to the headphone, but with less bass overall compared to the standard cable.
I understand the premium cable is silver plated which is coherent with what I heard.
But overall the standard cable is as good as the premium one. It is just a matter of preference.

Any similar experience?
yes... thats pretty much the way it works... if your LCD-4 is new it will change sound signature a little as it breaks in and of course your brain break in will be in conjunction too... congrats...

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #11,945 of 11,993
Well it is not new as it is a 2018 model, but new in my stable.
Just surprised that the premium cable was airier and less bassy.

Mar 9, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #11,946 of 11,993
Well it is not new as it is a 2018 model, but new in my stable.
Just surprised that the premium cable was airier and less bassy.
I was bit curious and slightly worried I wouldn't like the stock LCD-4 cable - ended up purchasing a "premium" cable. Turns out I like stock cable much more.

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #11,947 of 11,993
Hi,

Any similar experience?
Yep, I like the stock cable best so far. Congratulations on the "new" headphones. I still get a thrill every time I listen with mine.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #11,948 of 11,993
Yep, I like the stock cable best so far. Congratulations on the "new" headphones. I still get a thrill every time I listen with mine.
Thanks to you, I gave mine a try :)

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #11,949 of 11,993
Yep, this is a fantastic headphone. I don’t really understand some of the reviews I read though.
My LCD-4 is not dark at all (especially with the stock cable), the medium is to die for and although the bass is strong, it is definitely not prominent. Love it !

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #11,950 of 11,993
Yep, this is a fantastic headphone. I don’t really understand some of the reviews I read though.
My LCD-4 is not dark at all (especially with the stock cable), the medium is to die for and although the bass is strong, it is definitely not prominent. Love it !
There's variability between units. There's three different pad versions. The dark sections are often the most controversial parts of the FR. This combination makes reviews almost pointless as I've learned. The legendary review LCD-4 that Max, Metal, and Joshua reviewed uses the original pads from before the stiffer and negatively received memory foam pads were introduced. From what I've seen the best LCD-4s are tastefully dark. The bad ones are probably a little sucked out near ear-gain. But, I prefer dark headphones-- Presumably, to other people it ranges from overly easy going to biteless trash.

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #11,951 of 11,993
For what it’s worth, I would describe my LCD-4 the same way as you. I’ve often wondered if it’s because it has more upper treble, 10k-ish if I remember correctly, and how it affects how I hear the balance of the headphone; or if it is indeed just unit variability.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #11,952 of 11,993
There's variability between units. There's three different pad versions. The dark sections are often the most controversial parts of the FR. This combination makes reviews almost pointless as I've learned. The legendary review LCD-4 that Max, Metal, and Joshua reviewed uses the original pads from before the stiffer and negatively received memory foam pads were introduced. From what I've seen the best LCD-4s are tastefully dark. The bad ones are probably a little sucked out near ear-gain. But, I prefer dark headphones-- Presumably, to other people it ranges from overly easy going to biteless trash.
That’s right indeed. I got the headphone with the original pads. As they were quite worn, I replaced them with the new Audeze pads. It is true that there was a gain in clarity with the new pads.
Then I guess this is also a matter of perception, lcd4 is definitely darker than the Utopia for instance.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #11,953 of 11,993
Works well with Euforia 20th amp, but has to be carefully matched with tubes.
E5A86C09-3D80-41E7-B11D-F6FD26D1601B.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #11,954 of 11,993
I pluged via xlr on Ragnarok 2 on high gain.When volume on 3 o clock I hear very weak signal of music on left channel.Right channel also have weak sound,but weakest than left.And sound like turntable without phono.
What you hear probably is sound from electrostatic effects/attraction.
This works even with no current flowing through the likely ripped diaphragm’s metal traces.

Diaphragm ripping happens from air pressure buildup inside the cups during shipping when there‘s no separator in between.
I had this even after a repair from Audeze, so they did the repair again for me at no extra cost.

Calculate repair cost of ca. $1200 by Audeze.
Negotiate a refund with the seller accordingly, or step back from the deal.

If you get it repaired you will end up with great headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #11,955 of 11,993
What you hear probably is sound from electrostatic effects/attraction.
This works even with no current flowing through the likely ripped diaphragm’s metal traces.

Diaphragm ripping happens from air pressure buildup inside the cups during shipping when there‘s no separator in between.
I had this even after a repair from Audeze, so they did the repair again for me at no extra cost.

Calculate repair cost of ca. $1200 by Audeze.
Negotiate a refund with the seller accordingly, or step back from the deal.

If you get it repaired you will end up with great headphones.
I returned back headphones.Seller (audio store from Italy) taked it for inspection.Withhold the funds refund.Horrible service.I escalated this case via paypal.Hope paypal will be on my side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back