Audeze LCD-4
Oct 19, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #10,666 of 11,994
The LCD-4 is technically bonkers as well, it's just that the tuning hides it.

I was dying to hear the LCD-5 and newest offerings from DCA but with my LCD-4/Lokius/crossfeed sacrilege combo, I have no complaints about the sound. No, really - I have absolutely no complaints about the sound, and there's nothing I wish it did.

Instead, I'm more interested to pick up a 5th pair of HD800S which for all its quirks I anticipate will yield similar results.
I own the lcd 4 and the only complaint I had was the stocking tuning which isn't terrible. With EQ however, I felt like I was able to adjust to anything I like due to the response of the lcd 4s diaphragm and its thinness. Something weird that I discovered is when I EQd the bass down a lot, the headphone revealed a bit more air in return giving more detail somehow. Just my 2 cents.

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #10,667 of 11,994
The LCD-4 is technically bonkers as well, it's just that the tuning hides it.
Indeed. It shows clearly faults in recording especially in bass regions. There were times when I thought that the headphones are broken but then I checked the LCD-5 and 1266 and they showed that the problem is in the track itself. LCD-4 just shows it more. Also LCD-4 are resolving but not ‘in your face’ as Fives and Abyss. The details are there but they aren’t aggressive with the presentation. Soundstage with 300B tube amp is just right. They could have been a bit brighter. Still I love them for pure enjoyment of the music. Also I love how they look. For me it’s the quintessence of Audeze.

Oct 20, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #10,668 of 11,994
For me it’s the quintessence of Audeze.
Agreed - out of the box, the LCD-4 is the pinnacle of their original house sound.

Oct 20, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #10,670 of 11,994
I’ll never sell mine!
Mine will never leave here either. I recently sold my Elite, but the LCD4 is here.

img_1045upeqw.jpg

Oct 22, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #10,676 of 11,994
Oct 22, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #10,677 of 11,994
Schiit Ragnarok 2 works nicely with my LCD-4.
So does the 1. All due respect to the cans of the past, but I'd rather a mint LCD-4 than a HE-6 4 or 6 screw, unless it's a code six moded one - or anything else outside of a unicorn.

Head and shoulders above its brethren I've heard or owned.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #10,678 of 11,994
So does the 1. All due respect to the cans of the past, but I'd rather a mint LCD-4 than a HE-6 4 or 6 screw, unless it's a code six moded one - or anything else outside of a inicorn.

Head and shoulders above its brethren I've heard or owned.
I actually sold my first LCD 4 to buy an he6se and a Bryson power amp, and was happy with my swap at the time. But now I have seen the light especially with the EQ in the mix

Oct 22, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #10,680 of 11,994
I wonder if speaker taps make a jump from a regular stand alone headphone amp. Susvara seems to benefit from it which makes me wonder if the lcd 4 would do the same since the more juice a planar gets, the better they perform.
The coming of the HE-6 caught the amp industry concerned with headphones unprepared. Thus was born the use of amps that run speakers for certain headphones. It is meaningless what an amp does at 4 ohms, if your transducer runs at 64 ohms. If all amps halved numerically like say a Krell FPB-350 as the ohms doublef, then you'd have 6.25 wpc at 64 ohms from an amp spec'd at 100 wpc at 4 ohms. Sadly you need an extraordinary amp for that. Random recievers pre 1985 might give much less, most non high end amps don't come close.

So it's all what the amp does at the ohms your transducer outputs. The speaker amp vs headphone amp thing is in the users head - of course excepting differences in means of hooking it up.

I'm biased towards class A (or at least sliding bias Class A) and balanced and I like my amp that puts out 100 wpc @ 4 ohms and 15 wpc at 50 Ohms via my XLR input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back