Audeze LCD-4
Jun 10, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #10,516 of 11,994
Hey, I'm dying to know - any updates to share? Is a pad switch worth it?
I can tell you my impressions of the lcd 4 pad change while you wait for slims reply. I think the improvement is a jump and did make me appreciate my lcd 4's a bit more. If I can remember correctly, with the older pads, the sound is much darker and a bit less soundstage. With the newer open cell pads, it felt a bit more open, slightly airier so the resolution/layering is a bit better. The thing that changes the most is probably the mids become much more forward as compared to the older pads which can somewhat fix the veil in the upper mids that some talk about in this thread. I personally think the mids become just bit too forward imo, so i still eq the lcd 4. The lcd 4 needs eq for me to enjoy them well. Keep in mind, the new pads don't change the dark signature of the lcd 4 but instead improve it.

Jun 11, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #10,517 of 11,994
Hey, I'm dying to know - any updates to share? Is a pad switch worth it?
The new pads feel and sound great. The bass sounds more extended, with better definition and more impact. The upper mids/lower treble is bumped up. So the overall sound is more balanced with a smoother treble response. The midrange for the most part seems to be untouched.

Jun 13, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #10,518 of 11,994
I can tell you my impressions of the lcd 4 pad change while you wait for slims reply. I think the improvement is a jump and did make me appreciate my lcd 4's a bit more. If I can remember correctly, with the older pads, the sound is much darker and a bit less soundstage. With the newer open cell pads, it felt a bit more open, slightly airier so the resolution/layering is a bit better. The thing that changes the most is probably the mids become much more forward as compared to the older pads which can somewhat fix the veil in the upper mids that some talk about in this thread. I personally think the mids become just bit too forward imo, so i still eq the lcd 4. The lcd 4 needs eq for me to enjoy them well. Keep in mind, the new pads don't change the dark signature of the lcd 4 but instead improve it.
The new pads feel and sound great. The bass sounds more extended, with better definition and more impact. The upper mids/lower treble is bumped up. So the overall sound is more balanced with a smoother treble response. The midrange for the most part seems to be untouched.
So two opposing views regarding the mids. One thinks they’re untouched and the other thinks they’re the thing that changes most. Cool.

Jun 13, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #10,520 of 11,994
So two opposing views regarding the mids. One thinks they’re untouched and the other thinks they’re the thing that changes most. Cool.

This is the case with something so subjective.

There were other impressions in this thread saying the mids become forward as well. I guess some hear differently or maybe it's source related? Not sure.

It is the nature of different ears, gears ect.

Ask 100 people about how something sounds and you may get dozens of different answers.

In the world of head-fi, if you think something sounds better, then it sounds better :gs1000smile:

Jun 13, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #10,521 of 11,994
Well, define "the mids".

Jun 13, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #10,522 of 11,994
Well, define "the mids".
They both make reference to mids and upper mids.

On an objective level - Audeze sent me a graph showing the difference between the old pads and the new ones. The model before would be a straight line, so the graph is of the NEW pd relative to the old one. You can clearly see it affects the mids.

2404A1BF-05DB-4ACB-9617-9834F9F3F799.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #10,524 of 11,994
The model before would be a straight line, so the graph is of the NEW pd relative to the old one. You can clearly see it affects the mids.
Now THAT is a handy graph.

First off, the pads change at most 2db, which isn't nothing but... look at Dekoni Choice Suede. Now that's a pad that does something.

Personally, I'd say that the pad impacts the "upper mids" or "lower treble", and I see that the "mids" are pretty much untouched. That's how I break up the frequencies. I don't think any observation is necessarily contradictory, it's just a matter of the frequencies being discussed.

Here's the graph of my LCD-4:
41429170-R1.png

That's quite the trough, but that 2db bump would definitely help offset it.

Jun 13, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #10,525 of 11,994
There were other impressions in this thread saying the mids become forward as well. I guess some hear differently or maybe it's source related? Not sure.
I’m thinking the mids sound more forward because the upper midrange/lower treble that was sort of sucked out with the old pads were somewhat corrected with the new pads. The midrange itself remains buttery smooth and lush :smile_phones:. I could be wrong though.

Jun 13, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #10,526 of 11,994
I’m thinking the mids sound more forward because the upper midrange/lower treble that was sort of sucked out with the old pads were somewhat corrected with the new pads. The midrange itself remains buttery smooth and lush :smile_phones:. I could be wrong though.
I agree. The mids are still some of the best I've heard and the pads definitely help.

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #10,527 of 11,994
So is that it for the LCD4? Most distributors have discontinued selling it. Audeze initially claimed there was a part shortage which I don’t buy because they conveniently stopped selling the LCD4 the day LCD5 got released.

Jun 20, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #10,530 of 11,994
He is right, they said they couldn't source the wood. Lots of people remember this I am sure. It was not other people saying it, it was Audeze.
Gotcha. Audeze CEO mentioned on the headfi lcd5 release YouTube video that they had to allocate man power on the LCD5 production so the 4 is temporarily halted but will resume eventually...and implies the same for the LCD-R. But it is turning July already....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back