Audeze LCD-4
Feb 19, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #10,248 of 12,031
I've been trying to EQ the LCD4 for a couple years now but i've never really been able to address the 4-8k dip. In reality it's almost down by 10db. I would be interested to know how other people compensate for this dip? Perceptually I find the treble very clean on the LCD4 but because of the 4-8k dip everything above that on the frequency graph seems to have too much energy and music can sound a bit unnatural, between 10k and 20k theres too much air. I think it's my only gripe with the LCD4. The Audeze Reveal plugin does try to fix this issue but doesn't go far enough in my opinion.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #10,249 of 12,031
I've been trying to EQ the LCD4 for a couple years now but i've never really been able to address the 4-8k dip. In reality it's almost down by 10db. I would be interested to know how other people compensate for this dip? Perceptually I find the treble very clean on the LCD4 but because of the 4-8k dip everything above that on the frequency graph seems to have too much energy and music can sound a bit unnatural, between 10k and 20k theres too much air. I think it's my only gripe with the LCD4. The Audeze Reveal plugin does try to fix this issue but doesn't go far enough in my opinion.
IIRC, your LCD4s have the pre-2021 ear pads? Why not start by changing that? Its easy enough to swap it yourself.

Feb 19, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #10,250 of 12,031
Are the new pads as comfortable as the originals? Also I wonder how they affect the Audeze reveal eq settings. Mine is a 2018 but the pads are still in very good condition. Hate to swap them out for a minor change.

Feb 19, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #10,251 of 12,031
Are the new pads as comfortable as the originals? Also I wonder how they affect the Audeze reveal eq settings. Mine is a 2018 but the pads are still in very good condition. Hate to swap them out for a minor change.
Can't comment on comfort. There are a lot of talks of it improving o nthe 4-8kHz dip though, which is what @Kozwoz asked about. Also worth reading:

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...series-earpads-everyone-should-upgrade.11176/

But that's one person's take. Best try for yourself. If you're careful enough, you could swap the pads back. In fact, when I swapped the pads on my LCD-R, I was able to reuse the sticky bit on the pads for another HP (on the HiFiMAN mounting rings actually). Also, adhesive rings can be purchased by Audeze.

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #10,252 of 12,031
What kind of EQ.? Analog or parametric?

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #10,253 of 12,031
IMG_0042.jpeg

A recent acquisition! Although pre-loved, they had returned from being serviced by Audeze. Really enjoying their sound, perfect for late evening listening, well into the early hours too...

Feb 24, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #10,258 of 12,031
Feb 24, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #10,259 of 12,031
Yes, it is indeed a Rooms Audio Pro stand. I had a Samdi wooden headphone stand before the LCD-4 but it was not tall enough to clear the headphone cable connectors. The Rooms stand is height adjustable.

Yeah, the height adjustable ones are great because you never have to disconnect your cables. It's heavy, love the rubber spheres on top of head band holder as it keeps your cans from sliding and it does not compress the ear pads.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #10,260 of 12,031
I use digital EQ in JRiver to make the LCD-4 treble sound more natural. I don't have a real preamp, so I use that slider in JR as shown. It lets the Bryston amp breathe.
No need to mess with the bass nor midrange ... those areas are already perfect IMO.

LCD-4 EQ.png
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back