Audeze LCD-4
Jan 21, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #10,156 of 12,053
Might be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Is there any prohibition with regards to using the LCD-4 with an OTL tube amp? I have a FA Echo Mk. II that I want to try it with, but I'm not sure if there's anything I need to know before doing so.
200ohm should be okay with OTL - but not sure if the Echo has enough raw muscle? 350mw on tap if I'm not mistaken, or? Close call ...

Jan 21, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #10,157 of 12,053
Have you tried to add a bass shelf to the LCD4? You can really up the quantity without losing the quality.
The problem is being chained to a desk to inject more bass on these for their price is a little bit ridiculous. I know everyone has their own preferences but I hate when reviewers basically say this is the perfect headphone after basically redoing their whole sound signature with extensive EQ. It’s disingenuous.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #10,158 of 12,053
200ohm should be okay with OTL - but not sure if the Echo has enough raw muscle? 350mw on tap if I'm not mistaken, or? Close call ...

I have yet to test it, but I reckon it should be fine with 350mW. Only really need 200mW to reach 120 dB SPL given the LCD-4's sensitivity.

I tried to read up on single-ended triode amps but couldn't really work out what makes them special. They seem quite a bit more expensive, as the cheapest offerings are nearly out of my budget. Is it just the ability to output more power?

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #10,159 of 12,053
The problem is being chained to a desk to inject more bass on these for their price is a little bit ridiculous
Isn't the LCD-4 meant to be at the desk since it's designed to be powered by an amp? There's other options for EQ - Roon, Qudelix 5K, even hardware products such as those from iFi with bass boost.

I know everyone has their own preferences but I hate when reviewers basically say this is the perfect headphone after basically redoing their whole sound signature with extensive EQ.
Which reviewers are you talking about here? The ones I follow only adds a cut/bump or two here and there to taste, saying "redoing the whole sound signature" seems like a real stretch from the truth - you can adjust tone to your likely but you can't improve on technical abilities of a HP.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #10,160 of 12,053
Isn't the LCD-4 meant to be at the desk since it's designed to be powered by an amp? There's other options for EQ - Roon, Qudelix 5K, even hardware products such as those from iFi with bass boost.

Which reviewers are you talking about here? The ones I follow only adds a cut/bump or two here and there to taste, saying "redoing the whole sound signature" seems like a real stretch from the truth - you can adjust tone to your likely but you can't improve on technical abilities of a HP.
Metal and Resolve both don’t seem to like the mids on Audeze, treble and adding a bass shelf. At that point it’s not the same headphone anymore. I’m not talking about technical ability because anyone who’s heard the 4 knows it’s pretty competent in that area.

I listen with a streamer connected to a DAC. I don’t listen near a computer. I just don’t see why you should have to correct $4k cans. The LCD 5 has the same issue with muted treble and shouty mids. If I can’t enjoy the sound of a headphone stock at this price range than EQ to get it to be just right seems like a waste.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #10,161 of 12,053
Metal and Resolve both don’t seem to like the mids on Audeze, treble and adding a bass shelf. At that point it’s not the same headphone anymore. I’m not talking about technical ability because anyone who’s heard the 4 knows it’s pretty competent in that area.
Heh, I had a feeling it was these two you were referring to. Others have said the same about the mids hence the new 2021 LCD pads from Audeze (and further adjustments on the 2021 LCD-X which might trickle to others?).

I listen with a streamer connected to a DAC. I don’t listen near a computer. I just don’t see why you should have to correct $4k cans. The LCD 5 has the same issue with muted treble and shouty mids. If I can’t enjoy the sound of a headphone stock at this price range than EQ to get it to be just right seems like a waste.
But then you have people who try non-neutral amps, tube amps, even those that believe copper or silver will help tone. Ear pad mods, grille mods, driver damping mods. Aren't these all EQ'ing or some form of it?

Anyways, sorry for taking it off-topic... back to the LCD-4. Shame I missed out on that really good deal in the Classifieds yesterday. EDIT: Holy, wow, that deal was your LCD4s!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #10,162 of 12,053
Heh, I had a feeling it was these two you were referring to. Others have said the same about the mids hence the new 2021 LCD pads from Audeze (and further adjustments on the 2021 LCD-X which might trickle to others?).

But then you have people who try non-neutral amps, tube amps, even those that believe copper or silver will help tone. Ear pad mods, grille mods, driver damping mods. Aren't these all EQ'ing or some form of it?

Anyways, sorry for taking it off-topic... back to the LCD-4. Shame I missed out on that really good deal in the Classifieds yesterday. EDIT: Holy, wow, that deal was your LCD4s!
Haha I’m getting my 2Cs in on Sunday to compare the bass quantity to them. I didn’t realize that they have become more ‘rare’ now since Audeze is running into a part shortage for them (the 4s).

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #10,163 of 12,053
If bass is the main thing your after I would recommend the Abyss 1266 TC. It’s bass hits even harder and faster than the LCD4. I have the LCD5 in for demo right now and they are definitely not for bass heads.
Fostex th900 is also a good headphone for EDM or hip hop.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #10,164 of 12,053
If bass is the main thing your after I would recommend the Abyss 1266 TC. It’s bass hits even harder and faster than the LCD4. I have the LCD5 in for demo right now and they are definitely not for bass heads.
Fostex th900 is also a good headphone for EDM or hip hop.
Have you tried the LCD 5 with EQ?

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #10,165 of 12,053
Not yet. Trying to get a feel for it’s stock tuning. I will probably add a bass shelf later and see how it sounds.

Jan 21, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #10,166 of 12,053
Audeze new leather pads is simply better than the Dekoni Elite Hybrid. Clearer, sweeter sounding and the details. Having live with the Dekoni pads for quite a while, the change is amazing. Love it !

IMG_3876.jpg

Jan 22, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #10,167 of 12,053
Audeze new leather pads is simply better than the Dekoni Elite Hybrid. Clearer, sweeter sounding and the details. Having live with the Dekoni pads for quite a while, the change is amazing. Love it !

IMG_3876.jpg

Very nice UT.

The price on the pads were much more reasonably priced than I imagined.

I don't need new pads, but when I do I am going straight to Audeze pads for sure....why mess with a perfect tone :)

Jan 22, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #10,169 of 12,053
I read through the last couple of posts on the new pads effect by owners and it is consistent. Soundstage has increased, bass body is tighter, mids are more forward and more details heard. These pads were introduced in late 2020 as pointed out by someone and is now standard issue for all LCD except LCD1 and LCD5.

There seems to be 2 camps here on preference. Those who prefer more bass body and those that prefer a more linear tighter tone. I'm in the latter camp and I'm happy with these new pads.

Jan 22, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #10,170 of 12,053
i believe that i was listening to the 100 ohm version. it's the first audeze can that i've really liked. weight is still an issue for me tho despite the plush earpads and comfy headband.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back