Audeze LCD-4
Jan 20, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #10,141 of 11,994
I got my LCD-4s in and contrary to what has been said on this thread I feel like the bass on these while it extended super deep was fairly neutral and linear in slam and quantity. My 2F had a lot more bass slam than these. They are the most detailed cans I’ve owned (more so than HD800, 820, HEK and Stellias). It’s kind of a bummer. They sound very smooth throughout and the treble is tastefully done similar to a Verite or Aeolus where it’s good sparkle but not too much energy to prevent harshness. I’ll be trying the 2C next to see how it compares bass wise. While I expect to lose out on it’s bass detail and tightness, I believe I’ll get more enjoyment out of genres like Rap and Electronic.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #10,142 of 11,994
I got my LCD-4s in and contrary to what has been said on this thread I feel like the bass on these while it extended super deep was fairly neutral and linear in slam and quantity. My 2F had a lot more bass slam than these. They are the most detailed cans I’ve owned (more so than HD800, 820, HEK and Stellias). It’s kind of a bummer. They sound very smooth throughout and the treble is tastefully done similar to a Verite or Aeolus where it’s good sparkle but not too much energy to prevent harshness. I’ll be trying the 2C next to see how it compares bass wise. While I expect to lose out on the detail and tightness I except enjoyment out of genres like Rap and Electronic.

I find it interesting that the reason why I love my LCD-4s so much (flat bass response) is the reason why you don't prefer it over the other LCD cans. I just haven't heard any headphone yet that has better bass reproduction, absolutely love it. But then again I'm not a bass quantity kind of guy. I quite enjoyed the 2Cs and they're the primary reason why I jumped up to the LCD-4.

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #10,143 of 11,994
I got my LCD-4s in and contrary to what has been said on this thread I feel like the bass on these while it extended super deep was fairly neutral and linear in slam and quantity. My 2F had a lot more bass slam than these. They are the most detailed cans I’ve owned (more so than HD800, 820, HEK and Stellias). It’s kind of a bummer. They sound very smooth throughout and the treble is tastefully done similar to a Verite or Aeolus where it’s good sparkle but not too much energy to prevent harshness. I’ll be trying the 2C next to see how it compares bass wise. While I expect to lose out on it’s bass detail and tightness, I believe I’ll get more enjoyment out of genres like Rap and Electronic.
I would pretty much agree with you on the bass. I've not heard 2,3,2f,2c but the bass on the 4 is certainly not too pronounced - its just very firm, very controlled all the way and yes very detailed. I'm now looking for something similar or closely related in closed-back form. I have heard the 21 LCD-X and have at least doubts that bass of the XC will do it for me. Maybe the LCD-2c. Although that does not come with fazors even as 2021 version, or does it?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #10,144 of 11,994
I would pretty much agree with you on the bass. I've not heard 2,3,2f,2c but the bass on the 4 is certainly not too pronounced - its just very firm, very controlled all the way and yes very detailed. I'm now looking for something similar or closely related in closed-back form. I have heard the 21 LCD-X and have at least doubts that bass go the XC will do it for me. Maybe the LCD-2c. Although that does not come with fazors even as 2021 version, or does it?
Do u use OS or NOS on your POntus 2?

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #10,145 of 11,994
Do u use OS or NOS on your POntus 2?
This is a little embarassing - I'm using the mode with no LED on. Do not know if this is NOS or not?? Will have to look this up :sunglasses:

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #10,147 of 11,994
I would pretty much agree with you on the bass. I've not heard 2,3,2f,2c but the bass on the 4 is certainly not too pronounced - its just very firm, very controlled all the way and yes very detailed. I'm now looking for something similar or closely related in closed-back form. I have heard the 21 LCD-X and have at least doubts that bass of the XC will do it for me. Maybe the LCD-2c. Although that does not come with fazors even as 2021 version, or does it?

The Fazors help the bass on the 2F extend deeper but it doesn't add to the quantity. What some may consider a defect (looser, a bit more bloated bass) is due to the tuning of the 2C being a little bit warmer than the 2F. The Fazors also help out with soundstage which I don't care about as much as long as there is decent instrument separation. I've had the HD820 and while the soundstage was impressive it didn't really matter to the genres I listen to all that much.

The 2C does not have Fazors like the original 2010-2011 model.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #10,148 of 11,994
Have you tried to add a bass shelf to the LCD4? You can really up the quantity without losing the quality.

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #10,149 of 11,994
Jan 21, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #10,150 of 11,994
If you've not seen it, this video from Audeze might be worth checking out. It doesn't look too tricky: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B3MLMq9Nrl1YG4LZ3kAppK_sg711jr_2/view
Thanks for that.

Talk about timing, my new leather pads arrived today so I used that video to replace the pads on my LCD-R.
PXL_20220121_052407158.jpg

PXL_20220121_052751642.jpg

PXL_20220121_052639070.jpg

Half and half, leather vs. the stock protein leather.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #10,151 of 11,994
Half and half, leather vs. the stock protein leather.

Why did you replace it? Stock still looks new. Did you just want to try the new leather pads?

I'm going from Dekoni Elite Hybrid to Audeze leather pads tomorrow. Hope it's not a mistake because the Dekoni pads are so comfortable.

Jan 21, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #10,152 of 11,994
Why did you replace it? Stock still looks new. Did you just want to try the new leather pads?
Wanted to try see if the leathers would help with the fazors touching (slightly when cups are off center). Plus, I refer leather.

They do seem to compress less and slightly thicker than the leather-free stock pads. my next option was to try the Dekoni since they're thicker but hey, the Audeze leathers seem to work for me so going to stick with these, at least for now.

Jan 21, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #10,153 of 11,994
Jan 21, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #10,154 of 11,994
Might be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Is there any prohibition with regards to using the LCD-4 with an OTL tube amp? I have a FA Echo Mk. II that I want to try it with, but I'm not sure if there's anything I need to know before doing so.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #10,155 of 11,994
Might be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway. Is there any prohibition with regards to using the LCD-4 with an OTL tube amp? I have a FA Echo Mk. II that I want to try it with, but I'm not sure if there's anything I need to know before doing so.
I asked this question about my Crack. It’ll work okay but you want a SET amp as it’ll pair better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back