Audeze LCD-4
Nov 17, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #7,036 of 11,994
The LCD-4 is very heavy and is prone to driver failures due to pressure changes, even with the 200 Ohm version.
Did your LCD-4 fail? Mine is approx. 2 years old without a problem. Yes the LCD-3 was a mini-disaster as was the 100 ohm version LCD-4 but having read this thread from end to end I would characterize "prone to driver failure" as not really descriptive of the experiences related on this thread.

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #7,037 of 11,994
The LCD-4 200 ohm has only had a few failures mentioned in the LCD-4 thread - that's a far cry from what we were hearing on the LCD-3 thread. I simply wouldn't be concerned about failures on the LCD-4 200 ohm. It's unlikely, and if you managed to get unlucky, Audeze has one of the best customer service departments I've ever worked with.

Also, regarding weight, I found the LCD-4 to be much more comfortable that the LCD-2 due to the suspension head band. Unfortunately, it doesn't really suspend for those with pointy noggins - so there is a 15 minute fix for the band to make it suspend more if needed that Audeze has written up. If you're having neck issues from the weight, all Audezes are pretty heavy, but my problem was the hot spot on the top of my head - which was rectified with the head band.

As for clarity, the LCD-4s have revealed every minor change in my chain.

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #7,038 of 11,994
From what I remember, the HD800 seemed more clear than the LCD-4 to me. I thought the LCD-4's clarity was about on-par with the Z1R.

Nov 17, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #7,039 of 11,994
The LCD-4 200 ohm has only had a few failures mentioned in the LCD-4 thread - that's a far cry from what we were hearing on the LCD-3 thread. I simply wouldn't be concerned about failures on the LCD-4 200 ohm. It's unlikely, and if you managed to get unlucky, Audeze has one of the best customer service departments I've ever worked with.

Also, regarding weight, I found the LCD-4 to be much more comfortable that the LCD-2 due to the suspension head band. Unfortunately, it doesn't really suspend for those with pointy noggins - so there is a 15 minute fix for the band to make it suspend more if needed that Audeze has written up. If you're having neck issues from the weight, all Audezes are pretty heavy, but my problem was the hot spot on the top of my head - which was rectified with the head band.

As for clarity, the LCD-4s have revealed every minor change in my chain.

I guess my head is pointy. It didn't suspend at all and actually touched one of the carbon fiber bands pretty hard. The top of my head would start to hurt after a while, I assume from the blood flow getting cut off. I wasn't aware of a mod to fix this. I ended up selling them (200 Ohm) and had a driver fail during shipping.

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #7,040 of 11,994
Finally found my preferred amplification for the LCD-4 after sampling many of the recommended amplifiers. Playing .wav files nothing made these sound better on a balanced cable than a Carver 806x [133watts @ 8ohms]. The only thing that beats it now is the HE-1. Read this thread beginning to end, so many thanks for the helpful commentary.

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #7,041 of 11,994
I've found that the LCD-4 will give you a clear window into your chain. It will reveal anything wrong (or right) with it. The LCD-4 is very capable of having excellent timbre and a holographic presentation. Someone that has experience with the Abyss and Utopia may be able to provide more insight.

I had the Stax 009 and 007 for 4 years running from a DIY Carbon amp. The LCD4 is competitive with both those IMO, but crucially for me, better in the mids and bass. They are both detailed (enough) to sound natural yet super smooth, and really al pst never go into fatigue or sibilance unless the source is seriously harsh. Unlike the Stax that jumped on any harshness and increased that effect x 4 times. Detail is great, but it has to be realistic and zero fatigue, especially in headphones, and if you play at anything like realistic levels of volume.

So in summary, you get great detail with the LCD4 but there are no treble nasties that so often accompany that. The mids are creamy and vocal very natural and textured, the bass, well, the best bass I have ever heard period...... hope this answers the previous posters question.

On that reliability downer, I have had no issues so far. And Audeze have honoured failure claims outside the warranty period. Normal warranty on Stax is 1 year, Audeze give 3 years. Also it IS transferrable, unlike Utopia for example. My Stax 009s failed at 23 months BTW.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #7,042 of 11,994
I had the Stax 009 and 007 for 4 years running from a DIY Carbon amp. The LCD4 is competitive with both those IMO, but crucially for me, better in the mids and bass. They are both detailed (enough) to sound natural yet super smooth, and really al pst never go into fatigue or sibilance unless the source is seriously harsh. Unlike the Stax that jumped on any harshness and increased that effect x 4 times. Detail is great, but it has to be realistic and zero fatigue, especially in headphones, and if you play at anything like realistic levels of volume.

So in summary, you get great detail with the LCD4 but there are no treble nasties that so often accompany that. The mids are creamy and vocal very natural and textured, the bass, well, the best bass I have ever heard period...... hope this answers the previous posters question.

On that reliability downer, I have had no issues so far. And Audeze have honoured failure claims outside the warranty period. Normal warranty on Stax is 1 year, Audeze give 3 years. Also it IS transferrable, unlike Utopia for example. My Stax 009s failed at 23 months BTW.

That's quite useful because I have the LCD-4 and 007 MK2 on my shortlist. Reading impressions of the 009 has made me disregard it. I suppose the real advantage of the 007 would be its superior transparency and tonal balance but likely at the cost of body.

As long as a recent LCD-4 doesn't sound too dark, which I'm hearing differing opinions about, and there is great transparency and clarity instead of a thin veil over the music, I think I would be very happy with it. Slightly warm of neutral with good tonal balance, body and transparency would be ideal.

How's the LCD-4 on female vocals?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #7,043 of 11,994
Female vocals are superb on the LCD4. I think I know what you are trying to avoid, any form of treble fatigue and coldness, a classic digital weakness we all come too hate. The LCD4 is the REASON I sold my Stax and for that very trait. Planars tend to be very forgiving, stats much less so.

The 007 is the warmest HP from Stax I have heard, it has reasonable bass though has a bass bump at 100hz approx which gives the 'impression' it is better on the lower end than it actually is. The mids are good, but the treble is not convincing. In fact some think the 007 is veiled sounding. It was until I powered it with the Carbon amp, but then of course the 009 sounded better... albeit too bright.

You need a decent amp for the LCD4s, they are quite hungry. And running them with a balanced cable bring them to an even higher level.

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #7,044 of 11,994
Perhaps I'm just overly sensitive but I certainly can't stand any kind of treble fatigue. It's managed to rule out several headphones, including flagships, where the tonal balance is usually skewed towards the high end. However, in the other direction the compromise always seems to be treble roll-off, which I suppose I can reluctantly live with, and typically a dark sound signature that comes at the expense of transparency.

Nov 18, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #7,046 of 11,994
Female vocals are superb on the LCD4. I think I know what you are trying to avoid, any form of treble fatigue and coldness, a classic digital weakness we all come too hate. The LCD4 is the REASON I sold my Stax and for that very trait. Planars tend to be very forgiving, stats much less so.

The 007 is the warmest HP from Stax I have heard, it has reasonable bass though has a bass bump at 100hz approx which gives the 'impression' it is better on the lower end than it actually is. The mids are good, but the treble is not convincing. In fact some think the 007 is veiled sounding. It was until I powered it with the Carbon amp, but then of course the 009 sounded better... albeit too bright.

You need a decent amp for the LCD4s, they are quite hungry. And running them with a balanced cable bring them to an even higher level.

I went from a LCD-4 + V281 to a SR007A + SRM-D50 and am pretty happy with the switch. The LCD-4 was uncomfortably heavy. Also I don't believe there's a bass bump at 100Hz on the SR007.

Here's a graph of the frequency response of a SR007A:

XXMdLja.png

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #7,047 of 11,994
That's quite useful because I have the LCD-4 and 007 MK2 on my shortlist. Reading impressions of the 009 has made me disregard it. I suppose the real advantage of the 007 would be its superior transparency and tonal balance but likely at the cost of body.

As long as a recent LCD-4 doesn't sound too dark, which I'm hearing differing opinions about, and there is great transparency and clarity instead of a thin veil over the music, I think I would be very happy with it. Slightly warm of neutral with good tonal balance, body and transparency would be ideal.

How's the LCD-4 on female vocals?

SR-007 does not lack body compared to the LCD-4. Vocals on LCD-4, both male and female, are abysmal due to upper mid/lower treble recession that causes vocals (and many instruments) to sound incomplete, as if the voice travels into a black hole that sucks out the sound and air that is supposed to follow. Hard to describe without hearing it but that's Audeze's sound signature and every LCD has it to some extent. Made my LCD-4 sound broken but that's actually just the norm.

From my experience having owned both, the SR-007Mk2 outclasses the LCD-4 in every way except the bass region where the SR-007 is more transparent but doesn't hit as hard or go as low. Though the SR-007 is still a bassier than average headphone.

Nov 18, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #7,048 of 11,994
SR-007 does not lack body compared to the LCD-4. Vocals on LCD-4, both male and female, are abysmal due to upper mid/lower treble recession that causes vocals (and many instruments) to sound incomplete, as if the voice travels into a black hole that sucks out the sound and air that is supposed to follow. Hard to describe without hearing it but that's Audeze's sound signature and every LCD has it to some extent. Made my LCD-4 sound broken but that's actually just the norm.

From my experience having owned both, the SR-007Mk2 outclasses the LCD-4 in every way except the bass region where the SR-007 is more transparent but doesn't hit as hard or go as low. Though the SR-007 is still a bassier than average headphone.
I guess my ignorance is bliss. On my 4z, all vocals sound simply astounding. I can hear every breath, every slight nuance of inflection for both male and female vocals. Attack and decay on cymbals sounds just spot-on to my obviously un-educated ears.
I have not had the pleasure of a serious listen to any Stax product but would love to someday. If they are demonstrably superior to my 4z, they are some fine instruments for sure. However what I have sounds just beautiful to me, (both 4z and i4) so very happy and not agonizing over it one bit. As the listening hours accrue, I remain ecstatic about the SQ of these headphones.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #7,049 of 11,994
This dip sounds somewhat worrying given that a large portion of my music consists of female vocals. Some people don't seem to notice or at least mind it, but I've read enough posts to say that it definitely exists.

Nov 19, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #7,050 of 11,994
My experience is similar to @Rhamnetin's, but I wouldn't call vocals abysmal. They are "sucked out" a little which you can see if you look at frequency response graphs for the LCD-4. The LCD-4z's graph also has the same feature. It wasn't very noticeable for me however. I was using the V281 amp for them. The Stax also have a similar dip, but it's less pronounced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back