Audeze LCD-4
Sep 26, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #6,976 of 11,994
Yeah okay thanks, I was more asking in case the volume got cranked. I was assuming that would be very bad was just checking.

According to the Audeze website...
Maximum power handling 15W
Maximum SPL >130dB

I would add the LCD4 benefits from Roon EQ. The Audeze LCD4 EQ as a predefined EQ works great. So well I question running them without it. I also use an additional HF slope set to 2.8dB lift from 4khz sloping down to 2dB at 20khz. It really makes this headphone.

Interesting post about what the reveal software is doing...
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bxpvu/public_service_announcement_eq_settings_for_all/
LCD4: https://i.imgur.com/Zq86mIU.png

Sep 26, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #6,977 of 11,994
Oct 1, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #6,978 of 11,994
After a year of seriously debating whether to keep my LCD-4s (preferring the balance of my Opp PM-1s most of the time) I finally decided to take someone’s advice from this forum (apologies, I forget who!) and try a pair of Dekoni hybrid ear pads which I purchase form Electromod here in the U.K. (great seller, btw).
Wow.... for the first time the LCD-4s sound as I’ve always hoped they would. Awesome, full bass, superb clarity and an expansive soundstage. Above all, though, a supremely balanced sound. Listening now with newly-acquired Chord Hugo M Scaler and Hugo 2 and it’s just wonderful. No fatigue, lots of clarity, scale and impact. Love it! Can’t wait for my Hugo TT 2 to arrive. This should be a great match for the LCD-4.
The Dekoni pads are much deeper than the stock ones and I think moving the drivers further away from my ears has really helped, especially with the bass. I can’t recommend them highly enough for anyone who feels they’re not getting the most from their LCD-4s.

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #6,980 of 11,994
I was thinking about Dekoni pads for my LCD-4, but I’m worried, as original pads are glued, so when I will not like this change, how I will put original Audeze pads back?
I took mine off carefully, trying not to stretch out the “fluffy stuff” that the pads are stuck to. To put them back again I suppose one would need to make some double-sided sticky rings to fix to them.
As far as I could see, the original pads are not glued; they’re stuck on with double-sided sticky tape rings.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #6,981 of 11,994
100% agree about the Dekoni hybrid pads. I never much cared for Audeze stock pads and had the microsuede on my LCD-X. That was not an option when I acquired my LCD-4. The added depth of the Dekoni pads are just the ticket for both comfort and SQ. Highly recommended! I took the stock pads off very carefully but I don't see them being put back on.

Oct 1, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #6,982 of 11,994
After a year of seriously debating whether to keep my LCD-4s (preferring the balance of my Opp PM-1s most of the time) I finally decided to take someone’s advice from this forum (apologies, I forget who!) and try a pair of Dekoni hybrid ear pads which I purchase form Electromod here in the U.K. (great seller, btw).
Wow.... for the first time the LCD-4s sound as I’ve always hoped they would. Awesome, full bass, superb clarity and an expansive soundstage. Above all, though, a supremely balanced sound. Listening now with newly-acquired Chord Hugo M Scaler and Hugo 2 and it’s just wonderful. No fatigue, lots of clarity, scale and impact. Love it! Can’t wait for my Hugo TT 2 to arrive. This should be a great match for the LCD-4.
The Dekoni pads are much deeper than the stock ones and I think moving the drivers further away from my ears has really helped, especially with the bass. I can’t recommend them highly enough for anyone who feels they’re not getting the most from their LCD-4s.

I'd be interested to hear which you deem to be the best combination with the LCD4's between the Hguo2/Mscaler or just the TT2 when you receive it. I have some LCD4s driven by a Hugo2 and would like to upgrade but am not sure if adding the MScaler would be better than just getting the TT2? I can't justify getting TT2 and MScaler at the same time!

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #6,983 of 11,994
I'd be interested to hear which you deem to be the best combination with the LCD4's between the Hguo2/Mscaler or just the TT2 when you receive it. I have some LCD4s driven by a Hugo2 and would like to upgrade but am not sure if adding the MScaler would be better than just getting the TT2? I can't justify getting TT2 and MScaler at the same time!
I’ll see if I get an opportunity. The Hugo 2 is being taken as part-exchange so in theory I’ll have to send it back before TT2 arrives. However, I’m hoping that they’ll allow me a day or two to organise the return of H2 (along with a shed-load of other stuff - headphones, amp, portables, Poly) after I get the TT2.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #6,984 of 11,994

I would expect the TT 2 to win, the LCD-4 needs its extra power.

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #6,985 of 11,994

I am curious about this MScaler. In your opinion are the improvements in SQ worth it?

Regards.

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #6,986 of 11,994
I am curious about this MScaler. In your opinion are the improvements in SQ worth it?

Regards.
There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that the M Scaler improves the sound. Unfortunately, once heard, given our common quest for great sound, there can be no going back! My advice would be, that if you have a suitable Chord dac but are unwilling to gamble a tidy sum on trying it out,... don’t! :)

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #6,987 of 11,994
I just recently bought a paid of LCD 4 and so far they're great. I notice right away that the clarity and bass response was better, not as punchy and bloomy but very very well extended, everything is just big and full (that's what she said) but also retaining the intimacy and house sound that the Audeze series are known for. The only problem I have is that they are intense. There's really no relaxation with them and I guess that's because of the added benefits in general. Would a change in dac to maybe a warmer Dac and a warmer amp help tame them a bit but retain their other qualities? I found a Cavalli Liquid Gold locally and was thinking of pairing it with the Gumby for my LCD 4. How does that sound to you guys?

I also read about the pad changed above mentioned by tony and is considering that.

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #6,988 of 11,994
I just recently bought a paid of LCD 4 and so far they're great. I notice right away that the clarity and bass response was better, not as punchy and bloomy but very very well extended, everything is just big and full (that's what she said) but also retaining the intimacy and house sound that the Audeze series are known for. The only problem I have is that they are intense. There's really no relaxation with them and I guess that's because of the added benefits in general. Would a change in dac to maybe a warmer Dac and a warmer amp help tame them a bit but retain their other qualities? I found a Cavalli Liquid Gold locally and was thinking of pairing it with the Gumby for my LCD 4. How does that sound to you guys?

I also read about the pad changed above mentioned by tony and is considering that.

If it is the excess upper treble energy bothering you, parametric EQ can take care of that pretty easily. I dropped 12 KHz and 16 KHz a tiny bit and that was enough for me to greatly remedy that issue.

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #6,989 of 11,994
I can't speak to the use of the Gumby but running the LCD-4 through my Liquid Gold is sublime. You won't go wrong with the Lau. I much prefer the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads to the stock pads.

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #6,990 of 11,994

Can you confirm it's the highest frequencies that are bothering you, or is it the energy of the transients? Also, what is the rest of your chain?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back