Audeze LCD-4
Apr 24, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #6,617 of 11,994
Audeze created some instructions for shortening the strap. I had to do this with both of mine and totally comfortable afterwards. Just ask Audeze.

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #6,618 of 11,994
Hi everyone!

Does anyone know if a Violectric V200 will adequately drive the LCD-4 200 ohm version? I have heard that my Chord Hugo 2 is not able to do so...

Thanks,

Jonathan

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #6,619 of 11,994
Hi everyone!

Does anyone know if a Violectric V200 will adequately drive the LCD-4 200 ohm version? I have heard that my Chord Hugo 2 is not able to do so...

Thanks,

Jonathan

The Hugo 2 can indeed drive the LCD-4s...maybe not "ideal", but it certainly can. The V200 will add a bit more heft to the presentation with the added power.

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #6,620 of 11,994
The Hugo 2 can indeed drive the LCD-4s...maybe not "ideal", but it certainly can. The V200 will add a bit more heft to the presentation with the added power.

Thanks very much for your input, Sir! This is great to hear.

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #6,622 of 11,994
No worries! Every time I put the LCD-4s on my head, I just seem to smile!

That’s awesome! :) I am considering upgrading to them from my beloved LCD-3F. Any comparative insights you can share between the LCD-3F and the LCD-4? Also, what amp do you use with your LCD-4?

(I auditioned Focal Utopia today, and, although they were quite impressive, in the end, I found the treble to be a bit fatiguing. I hope to audition the LCD-4 on Friday. :) )

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #6,623 of 11,994
That’s awesome! :) I am considering upgrading to them from my beloved LCD-3F. Any comparative insights you can share between the LCD-3F and the LCD-4? Also, what amp do you use with your LCD-4?

(I auditioned Focal Utopia today, and, although they were quite impressive, in the end, I found the treble to be a bit fatiguing. I hope to audition the LCD-4 on Friday. :) )

You can find my full review here of the LCD-4:
http://headphone.guru/the-audeze-lcd-4-update-the-best-just-got-better/

They are very special headphones!

Apr 25, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #6,625 of 11,994
I currently have both the 3F and LCD-4. As well as the Utopia. I too feel the Utopia can be fatiguing in the treble. A lot of that depends on the quality of the mastering and type of music. The difference between the 3 and 4 in a nut shell in my opinion: the 4 has much more detail in the treble region and even tighter more refined bass. I really like the Audeze house sound and the LCD 4 was worth the upgrade from the 3. For most music I prefer it over the Utopia. If you like your LCD3 you will love the 4.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #6,626 of 11,994
I currently have both the 3F and LCD-4. As well as the Utopia. I too feel the Utopia can be fatiguing in the treble. A lot of that depends on the quality of the mastering and type of music. The difference between the 3 and 4 in a nut shell in my opinion: the 4 has much more detail in the treble region and even tighter more refined bass. I really like the Audeze house sound and the LCD 4 was worth the upgrade from the 3. For most music I prefer it over the Utopia. If you like your LCD3 you will love the 4.

Thanks so much for sharing your insights! Although I was wowed by the detail retrieval of the Utopias, I, too, am a huge fan of the Audeze house sound and suspect that I am going to love the LCD-4. I'm looking forward to Friday. :)

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #6,628 of 11,994
abyss Phi>LCD-4>Utopia
I disagree.

Abyss Phi is a harsh sibilant mess. How can anyone enjoy a pair of Abyss when one is accustomed to LCD treble is beyond me. Also, Abyss' mids are absolute garbage. It's nowhere near what a pair of LCD is able to dish out.

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #6,629 of 11,994
I am dubious as to whether you ever heard the phi given your comment but to each his or her own

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #6,630 of 11,994
I am dubious as to whether you ever heard the phi given your comment but to each his or her own
I auditioned the Phi extensively just recently and following all the hype I was reading here, my expectations were high but unfortunately the Phi fell flat on its face.

The chain was
DA2 DAC -> WA22 -> Kimber Kable -> Abyss Phi.

The bass was visceral and physical. It was the bass you could feel. It was a different presentation from a LCD. LCD bass is not in your face, it's kind relaxed while still having sufficient weight, Abyss bass slams harder and shows it's dominance. It's almost on the verge of being fatiguing. I liked that fact that even though Abyss' bass was sop visceral, it didn't interfere with the mids.

Abyss Phi mids were average at best. It's nowhere near what a pair of LCD 4 can dish out. If He-1 mids(also auditioned on same day) are a 10, then LCD 4 is an easy 9, LCD 3 - 8.5 and Abyss Phi a 6-7 at best. He-1 and LCD 4 have emotional mids that are hard to beat.

Abyss upper mids have so much sibilance my God....how can someone enjoy these is beyond me unless you are old and have less sensitive hearing up top. Same with the Treble, incredibly transparent with amazing speed but harsh, very harsh. Young audiophiles need not apply. Phi is only for the older generation who are not as sensitive in the Treble region.

I liked the Abyss imaging though, incredibly precise and the soundstage was pretty huge too. Transparency wise, somewhat artificially boosted due to Treble. It can't quite match a He-1 in transparency but def ahead of LCD 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back