Audeze LCD-4
Apr 20, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #6,601 of 11,994
I just ordered the lcd4z. I was all set on ordering the lcd-4 when the z popped up. one of the main things holding me back from Audeze was their weight. hopefully I'm not sacrificing weight for sound quality.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #6,602 of 11,994
I just ordered the lcd4z. I was all set on ordering the lcd-4 when the z popped up. one the main things holding me back from Audeze was their weight. hopefully I'm not sacrificing weight for sound quality.

I think you'll be very happy!

Please share your thoghts with us!

BTW, if you want to see a sexy headphone, Audeze Headphones really nail that down :)

DbMLl3MWAAAlOS0.jpg:large

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #6,604 of 11,994
I think you'll be very happy!

DbMLl3MWAAAlOS0.jpg:large

Hey, those things don't grown on trees? Or do they?

Actually, my first though when I saw the picture was a bit of alarm thinking how heavy the 4 is and how it'd snap that branch, but of course those are the featherweight 4z and I can see you are using the branch to keep them floating up into the heavens..

Apr 20, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #6,605 of 11,994
Hey, those things don't grown on trees? Or do they?

Actually, my first though when I saw the picture was a bit of alarm thinking how heavy the 4 is and how it'd snap that branch, but of course those are the featherweight 4z and I can see you are using the branch to keep them floating up into the heavens..

LCD-MX4 actually, and those are not quite that heavy :)

I do not know how 4Z compares to Mx4, but will do my best to find that as well

I fiddled a bit to get them up there and to pick a branch that was not too thick nor too thin for both aesthetic and stability, but in the end, they really look like floating up to heaven! :)

One thing is for certain, Audeze Headphones look sexy in photos and in person!

Apr 21, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #6,606 of 11,994
Yes the weight is up there. Not many (if any`?) weigh more. Is it the magnets, the wood can't weigh much, and the frame part. The arc is carbon fibre now. But you do get used to it. I found I adjusted my computer screen (higher) to ensure my head is more level while I listen (and work or browse). With a screen, it needs to be the correct height so your eyes are hitting about 1/3rd way down the screen. Those who use a Laptop and listen while browsing will have issues I reckon....

I love my LCD4s, the sound is glorious, very big speaker rig kind of sound, but the LCD2-C is also very good and easier to use, especially on the move.

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #6,607 of 11,994
I posted this on the LCD 4z thread but i figured i should also post here. "Don't forget if you're not a fan of the magnesium you can order it with ebony wood at no extra cost. They do have custom wood options for $500 more"

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #6,608 of 11,994
Yes the weight is up there. Not many (if any`?) weigh more. Is it the magnets, the wood can't weigh much, and the frame part. The arc is carbon fibre now. But you do get used to it. I found I adjusted my computer screen (higher) to ensure my head is more level while I listen (and work or browse). With a screen, it needs to be the correct height so your eyes are hitting about 1/3rd way down the screen. Those who use a Laptop and listen while browsing will have issues I reckon....

I love my LCD4s, the sound is glorious, very big speaker rig kind of sound, but the LCD2-C is also very good and easier to use, especially on the move.

LCD-MX4 is actually so light that I take them a lot of times I go on a walk!

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #6,609 of 11,994
I posted this on the LCD 4z thread but i figured i should also post here. "Don't forget if you're not a fan of the magnesium you can order it with ebony wood at no extra cost. They do have custom wood options for $500 more"
Sorry but could you post a link to the 4Z's thread? I did a google search and couldn't find it. Simce I'm strictly a Hugo2 user without amps, the 4Z might be better for me to lust after, in the unlikely event I come across 4K US dollars. Thanks.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #6,611 of 11,994
@ donato - Glad you're enjoying your new phones. IMHO you'd have to have a helluva full size speaker system carefully set up in the perfect space to make a noise that competes with a sufficiently driven LCD-4. Don't get me wrong, I love speakers but goodness me I can't even imagine how much a system like that would cost!

Apr 22, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #6,612 of 11,994
@ donato - Glad you're enjoying your new phones. IMHO you'd have to have a helluva full size speaker system carefully set up in the perfect space to make a noise that competes with a sufficiently driven LCD-4. Don't get me wrong, I love speakers but goodness me I can't even imagine how much a system like that would cost!

That is very true. It does take much more work (and probably $$) to get a good speaker setup compared to an HP setup and the room itself plays a big factor. I've iterated and evolved my speaker setup over a long time (had Magnepans for 10+ years and Martin Logans before that so I've been a long time fan of the planar sound), but I'm very happy with my setup today (Monitor Audio PL300, SVS SB16 Ultra sub, Pass Labs X150.5, McIntosh MX150 with RoomPerfect calibration, Roon and VPI Prime for sources) and don't get the itch too much to upgrade. In retrospect, it's in some ways odd that I've spent as much or more for each component in my speaker setup, but it seemed like such a jump to spend that much on headphones, something I use hours every day. Plus they are so instantly accessible compared to a speaker setup. Right now my wife is sleeping in and I can listen on my HPs which I couldn't do with my speaker setup.

I've also really been enjoying my journey with HPs over the last couple years, but I'm very glad I took the step up to the LCD-4. I feel like my investments in DAC and amp have finally been realized. I feel like i've been able to extract the most out of each component. Maybe it's just the glow of new ownership (going on 2 weeks now), but it seems like a setup I could live with for quite awhile (famous last words though for this hobby...).

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #6,613 of 11,994
Hey donata, totally on page with you on this subject.

I too love both my LCD4s and my Big Zingalis. My Aries Cerat Kassandra DAC sounds incredible through either. If I had to choose, I would say the speakers, just for the fact I can listen and work at the same time. Wearing the LCD4s all day is not really doable, due to the weight, and the fact I tilt my head down to type a lot and they slide forward or can strain the neck. I had a similar situation with my Stax 009s as well, which even though they are 580g instead of 690g still caused a problem if worn all day.

The presentation of the LCD4s (played fairly loud) is probably beyond most speaker rigs below 200K I reckon. And if I ran my Zingalis that high, the room would energise and the neighbours would be threatening to sue me. The bass on a big speaker rig is more physical and maybe more exciting, but on the LCD4 is very close, and the best bass I have ever heard on any HP, well beyond the Stax 009 or 007s in both depth, slam and detailed bass. Plus the mids are superb, so creamy and smooth, so real....

It is only where we come to soundstage that speakers move ahead. I can't see HPs competing with that, unless the panels were angled more toward the ear and further out / away from the ears. All of which would both look ridiculous and impractical as well.

The LCD4s are IMO the best sound I have ever heard to date on any HP except the HE-1. The sound signature (my ideal) of the HE-1 is closer to the LCD4 than the 009, and that is why I jumped onto Planars.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #6,614 of 11,994
Hey donata, totally on page with you on this subject.

I too love both my LCD4s and my Big Zingalis. My Aries Cerat Kassandra DAC sounds incredible through either. If I had to choose, I would say the speakers, just for the fact I can listen and work at the same time. Wearing the LCD4s all day is not really doable, due to the weight, and the fact I tilt my head down to type a lot and they slide forward or can strain the neck. I had a similar situation with my Stax 009s as well, which even though they are 580g instead of 690g still caused a problem if worn all day.

The presentation of the LCD4s (played fairly loud) is probably beyond most speaker rigs below 200K I reckon. And if I ran my Zingalis that high, the room would energise and the neighbours would be threatening to sue me. The bass on a big speaker rig is more physical and maybe more exciting, but on the LCD4 is very close, and the best bass I have ever heard on any HP, well beyond the Stax 009 or 007s in both depth, slam and detailed bass. Plus the mids are superb, so creamy and smooth, so real....

It is only where we come to soundstage that speakers move ahead. I can't see HPs competing with that, unless the panels were angled more toward the ear and further out / away from the ears. All of which would both look ridiculous and impractical as well.

The LCD4s are IMO the best sound I have ever heard to date on any HP except the HE-1. The sound signature (my ideal) of the HE-1 is closer to the LCD4 than the 009, and that is why I jumped onto Planars.

Yeah, I agree speakers present a better soundstage and also tactility of bass (the way bass can energize an entire room is electrifying), but headphones really provide so much more detail, resolution, and lower distortion for me.

Apr 24, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #6,615 of 11,994
Hey guys, has anyone increased the tension on their headband strap? I'm finding that the strap makes contact with the carbon fiber pieces that go across the top adding unnecessary and undesirable weight to the center of the top of my head. I'm contemplating just putting something soft in between the leather strap and the carbon fiber pieces (and am open to any suggestions there), but my first thought was to increase the strap tension to do a better job of being suspended away from the carbon fiber.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back