Audeze LCD-4
Aug 7, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #5,941 of 11,995
Rudistor RP010B amp (solid state) or Apex Pinnacle amp (tubes). It also worked well with an RSA B52. I think it needs a warmish front end, especially if you are sensitive to glare/fatigue/overdone highs, like I am all the time. The reports of the LCD4 being very warm or reticent are not at all correct to my ears (after a year and a half with them).

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #5,943 of 11,995
What's a good silver upgrade cable for the LCD 4?
My DHC Prion4 will be here soon, so I'll share some thoughts when it arrives. I currently use the wireworld platinum and it's easily the best of the several cables I have.

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #5,944 of 11,995
I only had it with my Senn HD650, but the Toxic Silver Widow was brilliant with that headphone. Not bright, just very smooth with a very clear unmuddy bass.
There is endless praise for the Toxic SW on the HD650/600 threads.
But like I said earlier, I feel the Norne Draug is a great, great cable for the LCD4.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #5,945 of 11,995
Aug 17, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #5,946 of 11,995
i totally agree with the assessment of the LCD-4 relative to the Utopia....I think the LCD-4 is simply the better HP...that said,the utopia is a fine HP as well and for many will be a favorite

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #5,947 of 11,995
IMG_2565.JPG
Anyone have pics of the cocobolo vs macassar ebony. I got a pair of the LCD-4s and can't work out which mine are made of? The wood appears to be red under bright light with tight dark stripes and a patch of yellow on one earcup.

My cocobolos next to the ebony at a headphone meet.

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #5,951 of 11,995
I am very temped

I own a pair of he1000v2 and I want a pair of these

Do they work well with tube rolling ?
Are mjolnir2 and gungnir multibit good with them?

I got to listen to them a few months ago and have really really wanted to buy them....really expensive though
I want a pair too. I'm thinking about selling my LCD-3's as a upgrade path to get them but I'm also interested in the Focal Utopia. I want the LCD-4's or the Utopia's to be my ultimate as last headphone purchase for a long time.

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #5,952 of 11,995
I am very temped

I own a pair of he1000v2 and I want a pair of these

Do they work well with tube rolling ?
Are mjolnir2 and gungnir multibit good with them?

I got to listen to them a few months ago and have really really wanted to buy them....really expensive though

To me they sound best with fast amps with excellent leading edge attack. Burson and Wells Audio come immediately to mind but I'm sure there are many others
that fit the bill. I owned the MJ2 and I had several of those "holy grail tubes" installed and while my lcd 3 and 4 still sounded good with it, I was tapping my toes quite a bit more with my Burson CV2 + that I owned at the time. Sold the MJ2 and eventually sold the Burson ( sometimes still miss its engaging sound) only to get a Wells Audio Headphone Amp. Never looked back.

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #5,953 of 11,995
I want a pair too. I'm thinking about selling my LCD-3's as a upgrade path to get them but I'm also interested in the Focal Utopia. I want the LCD-4's or the Utopia's to be my ultimate as last headphone purchase for a long time.

LCD-4 are fantastic and remain my primary go to headphones, but I still use my LCD-3f quite often. There is still something special about their sound that keeps me coming back. I tried the Utopias but found them to be picky with amp/Dac match up. Otherwise, I found that peak they have to bother me when listening for more than maybe 45 -60 minutes. When properly matched up (EC Studio Amp/Dave Dac and Wells Audio Headtrip Amp) they sound seriously good.

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #5,955 of 11,995
LCD-4 are fantastic and remain my primary go to headphones, but I still use my LCD-3f quite often. There is still something special about their sound that keeps me coming back. I tried the Utopias but found them to be picky with amp/Dac match up. Otherwise, I found that peak they have to bother me when listening for more than maybe 45 -60 minutes. When properly matched up (EC Studio Amp/Dave Dac and Wells Audio Headtrip Amp) they sound seriously good.
How is the bass on the Utopia's compared to the LCD-4's? I know one is a dynamic driver and one is a planer magnetic driver. But there has to be something that they do similar for both companies to set the MSRP at $4000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back